Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Phastek Performance

Old 06-21-2019, 10:38 AM   #43
Laststandard

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Tire tech has barely kept up with the torque output from these engines. It's surprising easy to break the tires loose, even with the 305's that come on the SS 1LE. It's different once you get them fully up to temp, but that will never happen on the street.

Those guys running with traction and stability control off all the time 'because they don't need no nannies to drive for them' are the same ones smashing curbs and pedestrians leaving cars and coffee because the car gets away from them so quick.
Old 06-21-2019, 10:46 PM   #44
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laststandard View Post
Tire tech has barely kept up with the torque output from these engines. It's surprising easy to break the tires loose, even with the 305's that come on the SS 1LE. It's different once you get them fully up to temp, but that will never happen on the street.

I'm going to say false on this. Tires you can hook and still get 50K miles, no. Soft compound tires you get 20k out of is what they need. Which leads into....

Quote:
Those guys running with traction and stability control off all the time 'because they don't need no nannies to drive for them' are the same ones smashing curbs and pedestrians leaving cars and coffee because the car gets away from them so quick.
Morons that can barely handle the horsepower of a Vespa are buying these cars (or making them) and have no idea how to drive, let alone pilot that many ponies. So, I guess the "guy in Detroit" needs to be there to save us from them.

So, does it bog with TSC off? Or is it the TB?
95 imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 11:43 AM   #45
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
You may think it's silly, but the ELSD is great when you're actually turning corners

These cars weren't developed as straight line "1/4 mile at a time" machines.

New proper habitat for Camaro:
Great picture! Nice to see it being used as intended.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 03:17 PM   #46
Deki

Drives: 2018 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
I think the M6 SS and all ZL1s are inflicted with the bog. I suppose it's intentional to protect the drive train, especially the silly electronic diff. It is 40 pounds heavier than the old school diff.

The bog happens as you launch the car. Even people watching in the know notice say they see the hesitation. It is very subtle and on the M6 Chevy says the right launch will minimize the bog. This bog is not in the tune.

Of course this explains why 650 HP M6 ZL1s can have trouble getting into the 11s. And why I bought an A10 ZL1. Love driving the car but it is a bit boring to drag race.
Koo thanks for thur explanation. And while the bog sucks, that eLSD is an incredible piece of kit. Wish the mustang had it.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:05 PM   #47
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deki View Post
Koo thanks for thur explanation. And while the bog sucks, that eLSD is an incredible piece of kit. Wish the mustang had it.
It is great for tracking. Or so I hear. Having owed 2 Gen6es one with and one without. I can tell you on the street no difference I could feel. In fact the lighter SS felt more tossable than the ZL1.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:32 PM   #48
parish8

Drives: 17 SS a8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 imp View Post
I dunno… Maybe he read it wrong, but there was a 2019 crush 1SS coupe on the floor and he said it was a butt hair north of 4500.

When my 94 Caprice 9C1 was still street/strip it was about 4200. That would do mid 12's with 400 whp and a T-56. About the same #'s as the current camaro w/ similar hp. So, hp/weight ratio have to be close.

I can't believe the aftermarket hasn't got a new pumpkin ready to go yet. Or a rebuild/conversion kit. Even a whole unit with a welded gear would be acceptable.

I found was an old thread on a 5K total rear swap. That was it, anywhere. There was something about Richmond coming out with something, but that hasn't happened.

The only thing you can do at this point is play with tire/wheel combos. With 305/30/18's, you should (as I recall) get an effective ratio of 4.10. I haven't checked the cogs in the 6060 vs the 56, but 4.10's and 315/35/17's (have to double check) were pretty good match on the b-body with the M6.

You'd prolly have to go 4.56 (all being equal) for the f-body with stock 20's to shine.

I don't know if you could clear calipers on a 15" rim might work. But, I'd doubt you'd still have enough baloney to hook on the street. The other thing is a 15" tire/wheel combo looking good in a 20" wheel well.

The only reason I can think of why there is a lack of rear end options is lack of production. The Big 3 combined are currently making less units than one did in the 70-90's.

You take the lack of units and sub-divide it by M6 cars, then sub that again into the actual hardcore peeps that would do a gear swap and I think that is the reason. Just not enough demand to warrant the R & D.

Let's face it.... the A10 is an awesome tranny, (I'm a little scared to go up against it with the M6 TBH) and not too many people like to row their cars any more....

And.. thanks for the welcome, junior!
4.56 rear gears would be a waste. The 1st gear on these a8/a10 transmissions is really steep. A mid 3 gear MIGHT make a stock car slightly quicker. Lots of us higher power guys take off in 2nd as it is.

I would have bought an lt1 if it saved me money. So far I have swapped out the brakes, rims, tires, removed the front swaybar, got rid of the rear diff cooler, one if the wing radiators... you get the point.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:35 AM   #49
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by parish8 View Post
4.56 rear gears would be a waste. The 1st gear on these a8/a10 transmissions is really steep. A mid 3 gear MIGHT make a stock car slightly quicker. Lots of us higher power guys take off in 2nd as it is.

I would have bought an lt1 if it saved me money. So far I have swapped out the brakes, rims, tires, removed the front swaybar, got rid of the rear diff cooler, one if the wing radiators... you get the point.
The new LT1 would be the better car to start a build like yours with. All the SSes start with extra weight that makes the car trackable for a longer period of time. Now even the new LT1 is perfectly capable for a beginners track day just for fun. But if you get hooked and your speeds and skills rise all that extra stuff of the SS is the plan. And if you get super hooked there is the 1LE.

I can say I had a memorable track day with a stock 2011 LS3 Camaro with only some bushings and sway bars added. The racing pro driving that Camaro was running down a few Corvettes with that humble Camaro. So I am 100% sure the LT1 will be even better. Way better.

So other than some shiny track baubles and some luxury items, what is the LT1 missing? And to me it is better looking car than the current SS.
Old 10-16-2019, 12:31 PM   #50
Fraxum

So the 2020 Camaro build is out on the Chevy site. I built an LT1/LT1 Below.

$38,730!! with all the major options including Bose.

This is close to what the sticker was on my loaded 2011 LS3 SS and way more of a real performance car for the $$.

Opinions?

All that is missing is MRC. No big deal to me. The only thing really missing is the SS track cooling, MRC availability, And the rear Brembos.

Okay, I will miss the HUD.

I will have to think hard about buying a used mid 30s SS or even 2SS over this.

Selected Packages (1)
$900
TECHNOLOGY PACKAGE

$900
Highlights Include:
Chevrolet Infotainment 3 Plus System with 8" diagonal HD color touchscreen
SiriusXM® with 360L trial subscription
Bose® premium audio system
Selected Options (8)
$2,835

Exterior
Power sunroof
$995
6.2L V8 DI engine
Standard
6-speed manual transmission
Standard
Dual-mode exhaust
$995
20" Silver-painted aluminum wheels
Standard

Interior
Front bucket seats
Standard
Navigation upgrade kit
$450
Door accent trim, Red
$395

Total Vehicle and Options
$37,735
Destination Freight Charge
$995
Total Vehicle Price
$38,730
Total Cash Allowance[s]
-$1,500
Net Price
$37,230
Old 10-16-2019, 12:43 PM   #51
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Biggest advantage the LT1 has over the Mustang GT (besides the chassis lol) is IMO the wheel offerings. Only way to get optional wheels on the base GT is to get the PP otherwise you are stuck with very crappy looking 18" wheels
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 01:30 PM   #52
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
Biggest advantage the LT1 has over the Mustang GT (besides the chassis lol) is IMO the wheel offerings. Only way to get optional wheels on the base GT is to get the PP otherwise you are stuck with very crappy looking 18" wheels
You can option in 2 other wheels without getting the PP1/PP2. Another set of 18" wheels that aren't really any better than the base 18" wheels, and the black accent package, which are 19" 7-spoke (not my cup of tea) wheels.

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 01:33 PM   #53
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho2018GTPremium View Post
You can option in 2 other wheels without getting the PP1/PP2. Another set of 18" wheels that aren't really any better than the base 18" wheels, and the black accent package, which are 19" 7-spoke (not my cup of tea) wheels.
Yea the other non pp1 wheels might no be amazing but still you get a choice and they look better than the base base ones imo. The black and chrome ones are awful, the other two are better.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 01:34 PM   #54
RobbyBeefcake87

Trans

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
I'd also say in manual vs manual the trans obviously. The auto trans are a wash obviously.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
Old 10-16-2019, 01:37 PM   #55
RobbyBeefcake87

Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
The new LT1 would be the better car to start a build like yours with. All the SSes start with extra weight that makes the car trackable for a longer period of time. Now even the new LT1 is perfectly capable for a beginners track day just for fun. But if you get hooked and your speeds and skills rise all that extra stuff of the SS is the plan. And if you get super hooked there is the 1LE.

I can say I had a memorable track day with a stock 2011 LS3 Camaro with only some bushings and sway bars added. The racing pro driving that Camaro was running down a few Corvettes with that humble Camaro. So I am 100% sure the LT1 will be even better. Way better.

So other than some shiny track baubles and some luxury items, what is the LT1 missing? And to me it is better looking car than the current SS.
A lot of mustang tuners will say the same, the non pp1 cars are better for high power boosted builds. You want the 3.15 auto and 3.55 manual rear end ratios in boosted cars. For straight line stuff anyways.
Old 10-16-2019, 02:40 PM   #56
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho2018GTPremium View Post
Correct but other than the 18" wheel option all the other ones require a package.

The 7 Spoke wheel requires the black accent package.

The PP1 wheel requires the PP1 obviously lol, as does the PP2.

The last option is the luster nickel wheel that is an option on the PP1.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote