Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-03-2019, 06:25 AM   #1
Val Walkinshaw
L8ap3x

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE
2SS bass and significant door panel rattle

2018 2SS with stock stereo and speakers. Since day 1 music with pronounced bass presence causes an embarrassingly significant rattle on the drivers side. Not a blown speaker. Seems to diminish about 50% when I push on the center door insert panel. However, the amount of pressure I'm putting on it could be dampening something upstream from the problem. Anyone else have this specific problem and found a fix other than tearing the door apart and figuring out as I go? I'm not interested in going to the dealer for something of this nature. I only trust them for bigger issues....saw other posts on this and it's not the plugs on the bottom side of the door.

2018 2SS 1LE HBM 6M
Val Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 10:18 AM   #2
red_johnny

Drives: 2016 Gray 2SS M6
Have the same issue. Haven't had time to investigate what the problem is yet but mine is on both drivers and passengers sides. I don't see how there can be this much rattle, don't they have teams who test these?
red_johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 02:41 PM   #3
oOKhanhOo

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Best to take the door off and add sound deadener/CCF. I believe it’s the factory plastic piece that blocks moisture that’s causing the rattle.
oOKhanhOo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 02:53 PM   #4
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
It's classic GM and how they designed the door panel. They're using a variety of materials that all have different coefficients of expansion, so at different temperatures the door will rattle differently. On top of that they use a strange collection of fasteners that result in a rattle trap. It's the nature of owning a GM car. You'll have to take the panel off and re-engineer the door+panel to minimize the resonances. A good car audio shop should be able to take care of it with off-the-hip wisdom.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:04 PM   #5
GP86

Drives: 2017 2SS
I have exactly the same issue with the same "fix." I have yet to look into addressing it but I might try to check it out this spring. It has gotten worse over the last 3 years of owning the car. Just today it was as bad as ever and I've reached my limit of being able to deal with it.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:54 AM   #6
desertmonkey

Drives: '17 SS 1LE
Yup. Same problem for me.
I’m taking it in this week for warranty work and was hoping this would be covered?
desertmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 11:37 AM   #7
Val Walkinshaw
L8ap3x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
It's classic GM and how they designed the door panel. They're using a variety of materials that all have different coefficients of expansion, so at different temperatures the door will rattle differently. On top of that they use a strange collection of fasteners that result in a rattle trap. It's the nature of owning a GM car. You'll have to take the panel off and re-engineer the door+panel to minimize the resonances. A good car audio shop should be able to take care of it with off-the-hip wisdom.
I appreciate your feedback. In my experience ,I believe this may be more of a "Camaro" thing and not just a "GM" thing. I come from a family of die hard GM owners and I myself have owned 2 blazers, and 4 camaros. In the family we have had 3 malibus, 4 blazers, 3 trucks ranging from 1985 to 2018 and none have rattled like this car. My '85 came close though. I'm not knocking your opinion, I'm just sharing mine. I'll be the first to tell you my daily driving economy Scion/Toyota Xb has less rattles. I just hate to give all GM a bad name when it does seem to be isolated (IMO) to Camaros. Even my Dad's '86 vette with 250k miles doesn't rattle as bad as my Unicorn.

2018 2SS 1LE HBM 6M
Old 01-06-2019, 11:39 AM   #8
Val Walkinshaw
L8ap3x

Quote:
Originally Posted by oOKhanhOo View Post
Best to take the door off and add sound deadener/CCF. I believe it’s the factory plastic piece that blocks moisture that’s causing the rattle.
Thanks! I'll keep that in mind!

2018 2SS 1LE HBM 6M
Old 01-06-2019, 01:12 PM   #9
17rsvert

Drives: 2017 HBM 2LT RS Convertible V6 A8
I have a 2017 V6 2LT convertible with the stock Bose. I have to raise the volume to maximum before I hear any rattles, and they are barely noticable because the music is so loud. I rarely play it that loud anyway, but I just wanted to point out that not every Camaro has this problem.
17rsvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 01:55 PM   #10
Booher

Drives: 2019 zl1 6 speed
I'm not positive, but I think I remember reading the plugs on the bottom of the door vibrating may be the culprit. Same issue here, just hasn't bothered enough to investigate.
Booher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 10:09 PM   #11
JaxChris

Drives: '16 2SS GD1 MX0 NPP F55 IO6
Patches of sound mat around the attachment points of the door trim panel, and fast rings around/behind the door speakers should be a good start.

I haven't checked the clearance of the glass on mine, but if you can cup the back of the speaker all the way to the door skin, without blocking glass travel, then you will greatly diminish air displacement in the rest of the door and avoid most of the rattle. The sound mat around remaining sensitive points should take care of the rest. No reason to go crazy with full matting inside and out.
JaxChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 02:15 PM   #12
desertmonkey

Drives: '17 SS 1LE
Quick update: Took it to the dealer, they spent a few hours working on it and the rattles have reduced and is no longer audible at lower volumes. I'm not sure what they did but I doubt they can completely get rid of the rattles (Still rattles at medium to high volume). I might just end up taking it to an audio shop if it continues to bother me
desertmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote