Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-07-2016, 09:03 AM   #29
parish8

Drives: 17 SS a8
I swapped out my converter and the problem seems to be fixed. Damn that trans fluid is expensive.

Chris at circleD hooked me up with a stock converter for free/exchange. Partly because they just need cores to work with but I think mostly because he wants to know what the issue is. They are great over there.
parish8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 11:51 AM   #30
JKLNHYD
Defending the Nation...

Drives: '16 Summit White 2SS, A8, Sunroof
Quote:
Originally Posted by parish8 View Post
I swapped out my converter and the problem seems to be fixed. Damn that trans fluid is expensive.

Chris at circleD hooked me up with a stock converter for free/exchange. Partly because they just need cores to work with but I think mostly because he wants to know what the issue is. They are great over there.
Awesome! Did he give you an option for a higher stall?

'16 2SS, A8, Sunroof, non-NPP
"SURSUM AB ORDINE"
JKLNHYD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 12:52 PM   #31
parish8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKLNHYD View Post
Awesome! Did he give you an option for a higher stall?
He would have if I wanted to buy one. Both of their current options use the stock shell. One is a modified stock internals and the other is billet internals. I think they both get upgraded lock up clutch material. I am waiting until they get their pro series sorted out.
Old 12-14-2016, 06:14 PM   #32
HZjr

Drives: Camaro 2SS A8 NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by laynlo15 View Post
Mine did that same thing a few days ago, I thought it was the road since they just repaved it. But today I noticed it when it seemed to be changing from 4 to 8 or visa versa. I don't remember which. I was going about 50 mph at the time, the first time was probably running mid 70's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSport16 View Post
I get this too, noticed it a lot this weekend driving to the mountains, a lot of highway driving. It is definitely when going into 4 from the AFM, feels like rough road paving. There really isn't anything that can be done, did not do it with the Range device, but the Range throws CELs in the LT1. I have heard they are working on another FW update that truly addresses the CELs. For now I am not have anyone touch my car, only notice it on the Highway, hoping to use the Range device soon on road trips once they update.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSport16 View Post
I am betting the vibration on the freeway is due to AFM. Watch the V4 - V8 mode screen and see. If it vibrates while in V4, try putting the shifter into manual mode, shift down 7th gear and then back up to 8th gear and see if the vibration goes away. Not much can be done from that, other than to do the shift work around or use a Range device, which may or may not throw CELs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by parish8 View Post
i am having this problem now. 2017 ss. it is exactly as described above. under a very light load(flat road) i can feel the rpms bump up and down. under a little more load like a slight incline it gets more noticeable and under a little more load it starts to feel like rumple strips. here is a log that i took. it looks to be the converter. also if i manually command it locked with hptuners it smooths out. the odd feeling timing matches the bumps in the chart below.

while the car with not completely warm it didn't have this issue and the slip was between 5-15rpm.

what a bummer. i have to now decide if i want to take it back to stock which at this point would be pretty easy and then hope they fix it for me or just buy a converter. a circle D converter is on my long list but i wasn't wanting to get one for awhile.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRAY View Post
Crap, looks like I am in the same boat. I have been telling my dealer for a while now about it. No I am modded. Got to see how this plays out. I wonder if you have the dealership do the latest ECM/TCM updates it will only show the last GM CVN? That should take care of the warrantee deal with tuning. I am sure I also have the dang rear end thing as well. It groans pretty bad in the mornings while it is still cold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs580 View Post
here here....me too. my ss did the same thing. i recently got headers put on and i had him write a tune to deactivate the v4 mode. problem solved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miacamaro77 View Post
I felt this same thing at 67 to 70 mph cruising. Great back to the dealer for yet a other issue. This will teach me to be patient and never buy a car when it first comes out. This is one of many issues .
I had the same symptom. So, what is next, should I get used to it?, or is there any common solution other than dealer hassle.

The guy who changed the converted said it does at all modes, what about us that only does with v4 mode?

It is annoying, I really wanted the M6 and my wife forced me to get automatic so she can drive it too
Old 12-14-2016, 08:47 PM   #33
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by HZjr View Post
I had the same symptom. So, what is next, should I get used to it?, or is there any common solution other than dealer hassle.

The guy who changed the converted said it does at all modes, what about us that only does with v4 mode?

It is annoying, I really wanted the M6 and my wife forced me to get automatic so she can drive it too
Honestly I just deal with it. I only notice it on highway driving for me, which is not all that often. What I do is shift into manual mode when it goes into 8th gear, shift down to 7th then back up to 8th, stays in 8th gear, no issues and vibration issue is gone. I also have a Range device, had CELs but received a new one with latest FW from Range recently, but haven't had a chance to use it yet since I will only use my Range for road trips.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 06:26 AM   #34
chicoSS

Drives: 2016 2SS A8 NPP Convertible
I am experiencing the same issue. Once the transmission is up to normal operating temperature, shifting from 4th to 5th and from 5th to 6th the transmission shudders until throttle pressure is changed. The issue is also present while the vehicle is in 8th gear at steady throttle between 65 - 67 mph.
I am scheduling an appointment with the dealer today. I'll post the results.
chicoSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 06:56 PM   #35
HZjr

Drives: Camaro 2SS A8 NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicoSS View Post
I am experiencing the same issue. Once the transmission is up to normal operating temperature, shifting from 4th to 5th and from 5th to 6th the transmission shudders until throttle pressure is changed. The issue is also present while the vehicle is in 8th gear at steady throttle between 65 - 67 mph.
I am scheduling an appointment with the dealer today. I'll post the results.
Please!!

Thank you.
Old 12-19-2016, 12:27 PM   #36
chicoSS

Update: The issue can't be re-created per the service tech. So, I am going to pick up the vehicle, give it more time to develop, and then return with the vehicle for another attempt to re-create the issue. I will post any changes.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:27 AM   #37
aka Reckless

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro
Only time I notice anything like this is when the car is cold and moving slowly it seems to shudder a bit in the parking lot. Sometimes I notice this same feeling as I am slowing to a stop (even after it's warmed up). Almost like it is hunting for a gear.

I think the obvious fix might be cam and lifters and deactivate the AFM
aka Reckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 11:32 AM   #38
parish8

The issue in th original post is very obvious and for me it happened every time I drove the car. I have about 300 miles on the replacement converter and the problem appears to be resolved.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:22 AM   #39
chicoSS

Another Update: While driving the vehicle the issue re-surfaced. I PM'd the Chevrolet Customer Service contact here and they facilitated another apointment with the dealer. I took it in this morning and had the mechanic ride with me this time. He noticed the issue within the first mile or so and has ordered a new torque converter and Mobil 1 HP fluid. Repairs will happen next week.
I will update after the repairs are completed and I have driven the vehicle.
Old 12-30-2016, 11:04 AM   #40
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Drives: 2023 SGM ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicoSS View Post
Another Update: While driving the vehicle the issue re-surfaced. I PM'd the Chevrolet Customer Service contact here and they facilitated another apointment with the dealer. I took it in this morning and had the mechanic ride with me this time. He noticed the issue within the first mile or so and has ordered a new torque converter and Mobil 1 HP fluid. Repairs will happen next week.
I will update after the repairs are completed and I have driven the vehicle.
I wonder if they flushed the fluid 3 times likes the TSB to try and avoid the TC replacement. I'm hoping my dealer doesn't do this to me. I'm going to let them know I want it fixed the first time and don't want to waste time with a fluid flush that hasn't corrected any TC issues that I have seen.
Megahurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 01:56 PM   #41
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
I had my 6spd 17ss bought back by the dealer after coolant leak, overheating, and water pump failing-all w/50 mi on the car.

Was considering an automatic but this is really kind of shameful. A nearly $40k car with these issues with a lot of "me too"s. Buying an auto sounds like a roll of the dice and it shouldn't be.
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 02:09 PM   #42
parish8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr1100xx View Post
I had my 6spd 17ss bought back by the dealer after coolant leak, overheating, and water pump failing-all w/50 mi on the car.

Was considering an automatic but this is really kind of shameful. A nearly $40k car with these issues with a lot of "me too"s. Buying an auto sounds like a roll of the dice and it shouldn't be.
$34k, nothing is perfect and if you are an unlucky one they make it right for you. I love this trans, the word it is great to 800rwhp and some are pushing it even harder than that. that's a big number for a stock trans.