Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-05-2019, 09:39 AM   #1
Firecaptain

Drives: '22 Summit White ZL1 A10
'19 ZL1 Seat Leather / Suede Cleaning Treatment

Normally use Chemical Guys leather conditioner and Lexol products with a small sponge on the leather, but concerned about excess that gets on the suede......any tips and or tricks?
Thanks
Firecaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 09:49 PM   #2
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Sonax Alcantara cleaner.

/thread
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 10:45 AM   #3
Firecaptain

Just concerned about the leather cleaner & conditioners getting on the suede......as hard as I try, and as small a piece of sponge I use.......
Old 09-06-2019, 11:51 AM   #4
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
The sonax easily removed 19 months worth of caked on hand sweat and dirt from a well-matted steering wheel:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...postcount=6402

As long as those conditioners don't chemically alter the alcantara (and I'd be very surprised if they did since it's a synthetic fabric) I doubt the Sonax would have trouble removing some excess leather ointment, even if a bit oily.

Test it first on an inconspicuous area. Perhaps the front pass side of the shifter boot or a shady corner in the back seat?
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 12:26 PM   #5
NeverDie
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Applicator sponge in your right hand, putty spatula/bondo spreader in the other hand along the seam between the alcantara and leather.

Sometimes simple is best.

I'd also recommend CLEANING the leather properly to remove all oils then applying CarPro Leather hybrid ceramic treatment to the leather and Gtecniq I1 Smart Fabric:

https://usa.gtechniq.com/products/au...1-smart-fabric

so you really don't have to bother with it for a year or so. Tape off the leather/plastics while spraying the I1 or simply apply with a sponge (which is less effective, just do the prep and get the results you want).
NeverDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 07:39 AM   #6
Firecaptain

OUTSTANDING idea! Thanks......not as concerned with cleaning as I am about "protecting" at this juncture as I only have 175 miles, thanks for the ideas and recommendations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverDie View Post
Applicator sponge in your right hand, putty spatula/bondo spreader in the other hand along the seam between the alcantara and leather.

Sometimes simple is best.

I'd also recommend CLEANING the leather properly to remove all oils then applying CarPro Leather hybrid ceramic treatment to the leather and Gtecniq I1 Smart Fabric:

so you really don't have to bother with it for a year or so. Tape off the leather/plastics while spraying the I1 or simply apply with a sponge (which is less effective, just do the prep and get the results you want).
Old 09-08-2019, 01:53 PM   #7
Scraps0f

Drives: 2018 NGM ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverDie View Post

Just so I know I am reading this right, Gtecniq I1 Smart Fabric is safe to use with Alcantara synthetic fabrics? Would this help with how quickly the steering wheel becomes matted, or at least make it easier to clean? I am a sweaty person, I apologize to my car all the time.
Scraps0f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:22 AM   #8
NeverDie
Account Suspended

Yes I believe it is safe to use on Alcantara as I have done so in several of my cars with no ill effects. Just LET IT DRY on it's own, don't go spreading it or matting it down and you should be fine.

It's kinda cool, if you really saturate the floor mats you can literally spray them off. You won't need to, but you could.

As for the steering wheel, honestly can't tell you since I've never treated it with the product. I use Nextzett Cockpit Premium on a MF rag to clean my alcantara wheel and shifter about once per week so it stays fresh. I would recommend that, for me it's always easier to keep after something than it is to fix it once it's gotten bad.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:23 AM   #9
NeverDie
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firecaptain View Post
not as concerned with cleaning as I am about "protecting" at this juncture as I only have 175 miles,
Of course, but just keep in mind with these nice coatings that the results are only as good as your preparation!