Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

Phastek Performance

Old 02-08-2019, 09:27 PM   #29
SnakeEyeSS

Drives: Camaro 2SS & ZL1
GM is running a half century old transmission in the COPO and eCOPO. Maybe a "connect and cruise" TH400 kit wouldnt be too far off from becoming a thing.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:36 PM   #30
parish8

Drives: 17 SS a8
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
Not many can or will attempt to rebuild a transmission...so pretty much a moot point there.

I have only heard of 2 transmissions blowing up like that in the burnout box and it's when making a shift. It could be something tuning related due to the torque management system .

Nothing is guaranteed at that power level...even a 4l80.

What did GM get wrong with the A8? The converter shudder is not transmission related. It is related to the stock TCM tuning. Do you blame a tr6060 when a clutch fails?
Many company’s make 4l80’s with warranty’s at 1500hp
Old 02-10-2019, 09:07 PM   #31
6thgenmike

Drives: 2016 White camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEyeSS View Post
GM is running a half century old transmission in the COPO and eCOPO. Maybe a "connect and cruise" TH400 kit wouldnt be too far off from becoming a thing.
I looked into doing a connect and cruise setup as they have one that will
Work with a 4L family tranny but I was told the computer they send is locked and not able to be tuned.
6thgenmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 03:21 PM   #32
ShizzySupra

Drives: 16' Camaro 2SS
Lol at “just swap a 4l80” its ez

Christ.... Mike we talk on the regular but I just saw this.
ShizzySupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 05:41 PM   #33
parish8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShizzySupra View Post
Lol at “just swap a 4l80” its ez

Christ.... Mike we talk on the regular but I just saw this.
I could be wrong but I bet it isn’t all that hard. With about 1/2 hour of playing around I got the car to start and the speedo works with the trans completely unplugged. All I did was short out pin 30(blk/gry) to pin 35(wht/gry). I was able to put the trans in gear and still had forward and reverse. I think forward is 3rd gear. The engine shut off fine but the car wouldn’t completely shut off. It would take a little time to get past that. Might even take a relay pair of relays connected to the 4l80e gear switch to trick the factory tcm.

All that being said I am not ready to give up on the 8sp.
Attached Images

Old 02-12-2019, 07:14 AM   #34
Raptor Jesus
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by parish8 View Post
I could be wrong but I bet it isn’t all that hard. With about 1/2 hour of playing around I got the car to start and the speedo works with the trans completely unplugged. All I did was short out pin 30(blk/gry) to pin 35(wht/gry). I was able to put the trans in gear and still had forward and reverse. I think forward is 3rd gear. The engine shut off fine but the car wouldn’t completely shut off. It would take a little time to get past that. Might even take a relay pair of relays connected to the 4l80e gear switch to trick the factory tcm.

All that being said I am not ready to give up on the 8sp.
The TH400 guys have got it to start and run and even shift fine but everything else on the car flips out and the engine cuts off before redline. Drag car, yes it could be made to work. Street car and retain all the creature comforts, no. You'd literally be throwing in relays and resistors on every part of the car to "fool" it to work. From the parking brake to the lights to the door locks. Everything that works off a signal from the trans in conjunction to the ECM. Some are gear dependent some are gear and speed.
Raptor Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:42 AM   #35
parish8

Shops made hooking up aux port injection and tuning it seem like black magic. There was nothing to that. Anyone could get in my car and drive it.

A 100% like stock fully functioning car with a trans swap? Hell no, I wouldn’t even try. By the time you are looking at a 4l80 you are likely ready to make some consesions. A car that you can hop in, hit the start button, shift into gear and drive/race... probably not that hard. Anyone have a 4l80e gear selector switch and a connector for it laying around? I still have a month of winter left and might try and sort it out just for fun.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:49 AM   #36
sadpanda

Drives: 2014 ATS 2.0T 6MT
Jesus... I said 4l80 why on earth would anyone bother with a th400 when there is so much more tuning and other cool shit that can be done with a 4L80E?

BUUUUT just to continue down this th400 rabbit hole:

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...prod/prd60.htm

That takes care of gear selection and neutral safe

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...rod/prd126.htm

That takes care of speed...

What other inputs does the 6MT ECM flash need to be happy? OK ok, we may need ONE ice cube relay to simulate clutch engagement...

Instead of 'relays everywhere' it seems two universal modules should allow you to install ANY archaic trans you want. First person to swap a Lenco gets a cookie.
sadpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:34 AM   #37
Raptor Jesus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadpanda View Post
Jesus... I said 4l80 why on earth would anyone bother with a th400 when there is so much more tuning and other cool shit that can be done with a 4L80E?

BUUUUT just to continue down this th400 rabbit hole:

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...prod/prd60.htm

That takes care of gear selection and neutral safe

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...rod/prd126.htm

That takes care of speed...

What other inputs does the 6MT ECM flash need to be happy? OK ok, we may need ONE ice cube relay to simulate clutch engagement...

Instead of 'relays everywhere' it seems two universal modules should allow you to install ANY archaic trans you want. First person to swap a Lenco gets a cookie.
Please stop. You have no idea what you're talking about and you're spinning off into la la land with this pipe dream fantasy talk.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:46 AM   #38
parish8

I get the impression this guy^^^ is just trolling us.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:59 AM   #39
Raptor Jesus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by parish8 View Post
I get the impression this guy^^^ is just trolling us.
If anyone is going to make something work in these cars it's going to be you 100x over that guys ideas.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:43 PM   #40
sadpanda

Drives: 2014 ATS 2.0T 6MT
I'm NOT actively trying to but I am curious... You guys are the experts; what else does the ECM/BCM need to function? How do they engine dyno if it's SO tied to the rest CAN network? '... It's really hard' you are kinda trolling yourself

Last edited by sadpanda; 02-12-2019 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Typing on phone, missed THE operative word
sadpanda is offline   Reply With Quote