Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 08-31-2019, 07:22 PM   #785
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Because they flat out said they didn’t build routing for the linkage into the chassis
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 07:38 PM   #786
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Martinjlm sounds pretty certain, that's the best info I've got on it so far...
DaveC113 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 07:40 PM   #787
Dixie ZL1
NOXQCES ZL1

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Porsche got back with the driving experience program and I believe you’ll see a 7 speed transaxle like this one in the C8.

https://www.porsche.com/usa/models/9...anual-gearbox/
Dixie ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 08:20 PM   #788
Dixie ZL1
NOXQCES ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdhyperblue View Post
Because they flat out said they didn’t build routing for the linkage into the chassis
We’ll see. Some folks in the know seem to think otherwise. It’s a road race car that will benefit from a manual trans.
Old 08-31-2019, 08:52 PM   #789
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie ZL1 View Post
Read hints of the manual trans in GM Authority also....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.aut...-800-hp-rumor/
I got a chuckle out of that. Why? From the article.... “In November 2017, Corvette Forum discovered a leaked document from auto industry analysts IHS Markit that broke down coming engine options for the Corvette and a Cadillac. ”

I’m an industry analyst at IHS Markit. I wasn’t there when that info was leaked, but I have, since I’ve been there, corrected the information that was there when I got there.

Anyway, I am not certain what in that article drops hints about an MT. There is theoretical speculation based on a patent for a “virtual, shift by wire” manual, but that is pure speculation at best.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 09:01 PM   #790
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Porsche got back with the driving experience program and I believe you’ll see a 7 speed transaxle like this one in the C8.

https://www.porsche.com/usa/models/9...anual-gearbox/
Different companies, different vehicles, different architectures. Porsche took the MT out of an existing platform that had been using MT for years. Putting it back in was really simple.

GM designed a vehicle with the intent that it would never need nor accommodate an MT. Deciding after the fact to put one in is non-trivial.

Quoted again, just because....

Executive chief engineer Tadge Juechter told Car and Driver that part of the reason is the desire to not breach the mid-engine C8's central tunnel: "That tunnel is the backbone of the car, and if you break the backbone, you lose a lot of structural efficiency. With a shifter, you have to have a big hole in the tunnel for the linkage to go through."
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 08-31-2019, 09:07 PM   #791
Dixie ZL1
NOXQCES ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Different companies, different vehicles, different architectures. Porsche took the MT out of an existing platform that had been using MT for years. Putting it back in was really simple.

GM designed a vehicle with the intent that it would never need nor accommodate an MT. Deciding after the fact to put one in is non-trivial.

Quoted again, just because....

Executive chief engineer Tadge Juechter told Car and Driver that part of the reason is the desire to not breach the mid-engine C8's central tunnel: "That tunnel is the backbone of the car, and if you break the backbone, you lose a lot of structural efficiency. With a shifter, you have to have a big hole in the tunnel for the linkage to go through."
Why do think a manual trans needs a linkage? Electrical actuation is common place and greatly simplifies a manual trans.
Old 08-31-2019, 09:17 PM   #792
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Why do think a manual trans needs a linkage? Electrical actuation is common place and greatly simplifies a manual trans.
It’s not just me. It’s the guy who is totally responsible for the car that mentions the need for the linkage. But there would definitely need to be a physical linkage between the clutch pedal and the clutch, which in this instance would be behind the driver, not in front of the driver. Meaning the clutch linkage would have to pass through the tunnel. The patent I mentioned is for a virtual connection between the clutch pedal and the clutch. Combine that with a virtual shifter, which is already available for automatics and DCTs and you have a path to get there. All you’re really doing though is adding a pretend foot movement to the same technology that enables paddle shifters.

Passing the mic back to Mr. Juechter.

Old 08-31-2019, 09:19 PM   #793
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
This is basically a DCT. You get to push a peddle but it’s no longer true engagement, you just Feel like it is.

Last edited by Number 3; 08-31-2019 at 09:35 PM.
Number 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 07:50 AM   #794
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdhyperblue View Post
Only ruling out a hard shift rod might not make a MT a complete impossibility.

Norm
Old 09-01-2019, 09:25 AM   #795
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
If the demand is there for a MT then Corvette will put one in at some point, whether it makes sense or not. Just like spoilers on front wheel drive cars. I hope for a true MT on that Corvette, but I think the days of MT cars are almost over. I think we're heading for this:

https://youtu.be/FAvQSkK8Z8U
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 11:20 AM   #796
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
This is basically a DCT. You get to push a peddle but it’s no longer true engagement, you just Feel like it is.
word
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 02:19 PM   #797
Dixie ZL1
NOXQCES ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
It’s not just me. It’s the guy who is totally responsible for the car that mentions the need for the linkage. But there would definitely need to be a physical linkage between the clutch pedal and the clutch, which in this instance would be behind the driver, not in front of the driver. Meaning the clutch linkage would have to pass through the tunnel. The patent I mentioned is for a virtual connection between the clutch pedal and the clutch. Combine that with a virtual shifter, which is already available for automatics and DCTs and you have a path to get there. All you’re really doing though is adding a pretend foot movement to the same technology that enables paddle shifters.

Passing the mic back to Mr. Juechter.
Cars haven’t had clutch linkages for decades..... a 14” diameter hose connects the clutch master cylinder mounted to pedal to a slave cylinder at the clutch.

Clutch isn’t the routing issue, it’s the shifter.

Chevrolet will build it if there’s demand.
Old 09-01-2019, 08:30 PM   #798
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Cars haven’t had clutch linkages for decades..... a 14” diameter hose connects the clutch master cylinder mounted to pedal to a slave cylinder at the clutch.

Clutch isn’t the routing issue, it’s the shifter.

Chevrolet will build it if there’s demand.
Also valves control the rate of clutch engagement, which was a launch issue for Gen5. But it feels like you are more involved than you are.

Also what demand? The reason there IS NO manual was lack of demand.