Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-28-2019, 12:39 PM   #225
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
The hardest gen by far was the 3rd gen PERIOD. Just changing the two spark plugs takes like 3 hours... and don't get me started on the LT1's OptiCrap.. Heck I can have the Gen V LT1's heads off by then.
Wow, I owned a 3rd gen Formula 350 TPI car for the better part of 6 years, changed the plugs yearly and never had any issued with the rear spark plugs. I could have the entire set done in less than an hour.

I agree though, they are not making the newer vehicles any easier to work on for sure. I think from the manufacture aspect they are trying to push maintenance items to the dealership.

My case in point, I had a bad HPFP on my 17 Camaro SS. GM warranty on their parts is or was 12m / 12k miles. Now it shows to be 24m / 24k miles. Dealer was more than happy to warranty it out and has told me several times it is covered. Only bad thing is GM doesnt handle the warranty process themselves anymore, they farmed it out to a 3rd party company to give the Yes or No via a chat box system, no over the phone option at all. With no reason at all they are just saying no and was trying to insist that if you want the warranty it has to be installed by the dealer.

Bunch of crap I tell ya....

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 01:00 PM   #226
Gen6_1Le

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1Le
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
So let's say GM does come out with a sanctioned, warranty protecting calibration like they had with the old 2.0T (picked up 25 HP in my SkyRedline and I think 40 lbft of torque). There were fuel injectors involved and a calibration.

What would you pay if GM offered 520 HP in the C8 that protected your warranty?
Not much, but for 545 HP at $5k there would be a line going around the Chevy dealership. Even if it was only available on the Z51, that would make a lot of people happy without jumping up to a wide body Corvette when ever they show up.
Gen6_1Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 01:07 PM   #227
aa1

Drives: toyota land cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeROC View Post
I don't even think GM needs to offer aftermarket stuff, there is already an entire industry for that. Just a simple acknowledgement during the design phase that someday, sooner or later, someone will work on the car. Whether it's a tech/mechanic for warranty type work or a guy doing a cam swap at home.
how can y work on a mid engine?the 8 is a very nice car but the only problem would be the amount of work to change plugs,belt, water pump etc.the only way i think is to take the engine out and that will end with high service bills.
aa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 03:07 PM   #228
Road_Warrior85

Drives: IBM 2SSRS, 12 Jeep Wrangler 4door
Send a message via Yahoo to Road_Warrior85
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
I used to think this way, but after the Boxter went to a 4 banger and it is a way better car now, I think the 7th gen will be more like a BRZ with turbo 2.3 litter to survive.. The Challenger is hopeless, the Mustang dunno.... It is Fords only "car"

Look the new Benz 4 banger is at 400 HP, the new Audi I5 is there as well. BMW pretty much uses the same stuff for an I4 to I6 and there are few to no V6, V8, V10 from the company. While I love a V8, especially an OHV one... IMO it is gone. Heck I would not be surprised if the next C8 performance setup is a twin turbo V6 tuned for some serious torque something like 605 HP at 6600 RPM and 720 ft -lbs at 3300 RPM... now that weight, tracktion issues are "solved"
Thats where the future is.... Smaller more efficient motors putting out equal to barely more power than the V8 we claim is a MUST HAVE.

If the 7th Gen is on hiatus and doesn't come back until 2026 or later, then there is no reason to be surprised if it comes with a twin turbo 6 cyl for the SS putting out 500 or so, and then only the ZL1 or "Z/28" keep the 8 cyl.

We know they cant keep jumping in HP and MPG numbers at the same time.
They're gonna have to slow/stall the HP growth and build on the MPG numbers.

Then the 8th gen will probably be the transition to electric
Old 07-28-2019, 03:48 PM   #229
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
Wow, I owned a 3rd gen Formula 350 TPI car for the better part of 6 years, changed the plugs yearly and never had any issued with the rear spark plugs. I could have the entire set done in less than an hour....
Yep, then I'll let you take out the 110,000 mile midwest salt plugs that the last two mechanics did not change... let me know if you get ONE out in an hour... you get, Lets see, drive car in, assuming you have a shop, put car on lift take off passenger side tire, then look for a bunch of special stuff, I'm already at 1/2 an hour maybe more...Ain't got a single plug off. Now if I did not have a shop, then, um take the few plugs off from the top, hope engine is not too hot, jack car up, block it, get tools, get creeper, woops forgot to take off the tire... where the heck is the lub key... OK gout that off, shiznett the boot is like welded to the plug, heck now it cracked, I gotta pull that wire out of the harness as it dips between the valve cover and AC. Need to run down to Napa, heck I ain't a single plug off on the passenger side, might as stop at chicken joint get some energy. I knew it, the plug was never changed and it is frozen time to must my offset wrench out the I welded special for this job, kind of neat to see it taking a 15 degree flex as I put the pry on it before the rusted in plug cracks loose. OK got that one off. man that sucked, I'm bleeding ....only thee more on this side. let me undo the clip that holds the wires together... figures it just falls apart, better rig something up or the wires will just drop onto the ehaust manifold... hope I don't forget. Now where was I? Oh here is the guy to pickup his ride complaining that some hot chick is going to leave him cause his ride ain't done. I think I'll just not change the rest of the plugs at least I got the dead one....
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 04:01 PM   #230
oldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa1 View Post
how can y work on a mid engine?the 8 is a very nice car but the only problem would be the amount of work to change plugs,belt, water pump etc.the only way i think is to take the engine out and that will end with high service bills.

The average customer is like 2.5 years, so these plugs are 105 k miles... it will be maybe 3 customers down the line... Who knows how much room, the car looks pretty wide to me. It maybe complete candy from under the car... you know GM has to perform warranty work also? the Fiero needed the engine dropped to change plugs on the passenger compartment side with the V6,
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
Old 07-28-2019, 04:14 PM   #231
oldman

on the factory LT2 Hot package, if GM does it will have to be 49 state smog legal.. so that means an AFM cam which is going to bring power down to 545 HP.. for cam and heads and GM tune..
Old 07-29-2019, 09:49 AM   #232
50MileSmile

Drives: 2023 2SS, 2018 1SS 1LE, 1993 Z/28
Why the C8 will help the Camaro survive and thrive

This is an interesting read on why more Corvette buyers may giving the front-engine, 6-speed Camaro (especially with the 1LE package) another look:

https://www.motortrend.com/news/4-re...eNewsMTArticle
50MileSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:54 AM   #233
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
that's what i'm saying.
the notion that 'the camaro is driving buyers to challenger and mustang because it's a little pricey, but the buyers will plunk down another 20k for the Stingray !' is nonsense.

and besides, they may say the Stingray is 60k, but i'm betting you check one or two options on it and you're at 65k. There aren't $50 dollar options on cars anymore, and certainly not the Corvette.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:58 AM   #234
undy

Drives: 2020 2SS vert (ordered)
Sort of sad to say, I had a 2020 2SS vert on order and this is it's build week. Several weeks ago I called my dealer and had my order and deposit shifted to this... I got it for MSRP and should have it in an April time frame.
Attached Images

undy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 10:07 AM   #235
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50MileSmile View Post
This is an interesting read on why more Corvette buyers may giving the front-engine, 6-speed Camaro (especially with the 1LE package) another look:

https://www.motortrend.com/news/4-re...eNewsMTArticle
That's more reasons why Camaro will survive then why Corvette buyers will look at Camaro. But solid points in that article.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 11:01 AM   #236
oldman

I don't doubt that the Camaro will survive, the question is the top end Camaro buyer sacrificing things to get a bottom end Vette.
2ss is 44.5K before other options, 1LE is 50K, the Zl1 is 65.5. I'll leave it to someone else to find a OK optioned version, but say the base Vette is 58K. I can see people that are NOT into Road Racing or AutoX going to the base Vette and sacrificing the sun roof, the heated seats, the Hud et all. It is not just the Camaro, I can see the fully optioned Challengers, Mustangs and for sure Shelbys all going to a mid-engine Vette.

For the very top buyers: Hellcats, 500, Zl1, Zl1-1LE, I can see them going to the next Z06 C8. IMO there is no doubt that the C8 will cut into high end pony car sales and IMO their days are numbered. Conversely, I do see people not swinging for a C8, and saying I'll take a full optioned Camaro. To my mind these are not performance people, call them all arounders. I would definitely take a base C8 over a 2ss full optioned, SS-1le or Zl1. I would definitely take a C8 with Z51 over a Zl1 Camaro. I would definitely take a C8 base over my performance built SS. Cause the Vette will destroy my car in a street fight....

Last edited by oldman; 07-29-2019 at 12:12 PM.
Old 07-29-2019, 11:06 AM   #237
Baldilocks01SS

Drives: SEARCHING
The new Stingray might be a great value, but at the end of the day, it's still a Stingray. There will be 40,000 other copies of it floating around. I can get a ZL1 for probably a beter price and it will be much more "rare" than that Stingray.

That's why I am STILL ordering a ZL1 and not a Corvette.
Baldilocks01SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 11:20 AM   #238
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldilocks01SS View Post
The new Stingray might be a great value, but at the end of the day, it's still a Stingray. There will be 40,000 other copies of it floating around. I can get a ZL1 for probably a beter price and it will be much more "rare" than that Stingray.

That's why I am STILL ordering a ZL1 and not a Corvette.
That's one reason why it will survive. There are still gonna be people that want the ZL1 or simply aren't corvette people.

Then there are people like me.

Id rather have a low end Corvette then a top end Mustang/Camaro/Challenger
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote