Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 07-24-2019, 08:16 AM   #127
Dave-ROR

Drives: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4racer View Post
Ok I love my manual transmissions with a clutch pedal. And I have a Porsche with a 7spd PDK which is a very nice trans and no doubt makes the car faster. Still I would take the manual if it was available.

But would I dismiss the C8 for that? No. I wouldn’t.
In some ways since the C5 the vette has been a transaxle car. And the shifter mechanism is not quite as good as a direct to trans mounted design like the Camaro. It’s fantastic in the gen 6. I have one. And same trans in a pro touring 71 too. Awesome trans - love
It. But in a mid engine car the trans is not only at the back of the car it’s back behind the engine. That makes packaging a real manual very difficult. I’m not sure you can get a real manual in any mid engine super car. But yet the cayman has one. Not sure what’s involved but I think the packaging plays a factor as well.

I might consider one. But I would not get rid of my camaro - at least one of them. And if anything the Porsche is the car that would have to go and that’s a sedan.

The DCT is a killer for me too, although I do have a deposit on one. I suspect I'll cancel and continue having a blast with the ZLE until the Z06 and/or GS come out for the C8... and then I have to see if I really don't want a DCT.
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback

Too many cars.. never.
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 08:40 AM   #128
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSport16 View Post
I am curious, haven't heard yet if the LT2 will have the stupid AFM, I hope the hell it doesn't! So sick of AFM!
Of course it will.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 08:42 AM   #129
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
The DCT is a killer for me too, although I do have a deposit on one. I suspect I'll cancel and continue having a blast with the ZLE until the Z06 and/or GS come out for the C8... and then I have to see if I really don't want a DCT.
Why do you even have a deposit on one? You have stated MANY times that you have a deposit on one but the fact there is no manual kills the deal for you. I don't understand this logic. Either you have a deposit on it because you want to buy it or you're just trying to show off.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 08:48 AM   #130
Baldilocks01SS

Drives: SEARCHING
I think that the disparity in performance between the DCT and any possible manual they currently have, would be too great to make that a viable option.

Imagine both cars, identically equipped. One hitting 60mph in 2.9 seconds and the other in 3.5 seconds with a manual. I know those times don't matter to a lot of people, but on a mid-engine exotic supercar, it's always about performance.
Baldilocks01SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 09:10 AM   #131
Gen6_1Le

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1Le
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldilocks01SS View Post
I think that the disparity in performance between the DCT and any possible manual they currently have, would be too great to make that a viable option.

Imagine both cars, identically equipped. One hitting 60mph in 2.9 seconds and the other in 3.5 seconds with a manual. I know those times don't matter to a lot of people, but on a mid-engine exotic supercar, it's always about performance.
I wouldn’t call what Chevy has shown us so far with the C8 a mid engine exotic supercar , they are coming but we haven’t seen anything yet as far as supercar.I have no doubt when the Grand Sport comes out we’ll see a manual trans . I could care less my self about bragging rights times I would never consider an automatic .
Gen6_1Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 09:19 AM   #132
Baldilocks01SS

Drives: SEARCHING
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen6_1Le View Post
I wouldn’t call what Chevy has shown us so far with the C8 a mid engine exotic supercar , they are coming but we haven’t seen anything yet as far as supercar.I have no doubt when the Grand Sport comes out we’ll see a manual trans . I could care less my self about bragging rights times I would never consider an automatic .
Anything that does 0-60 in less than 3 seconds is supercar territory. I don't think price or because it isn't Italian or British has anything to do with it. If the Countach was a supercar, then the new C8 Vette, even in it's base form, is a supercar.

That being said, the terms Sports Car, Supercar, Hypercar can be pretty much whatever you want them to be.

After driving a car with DCT, I could never go back to a manual.
Baldilocks01SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 09:20 AM   #133
Lafourche1

Drives: 2019 CLA 450 Mercedes
The reality is that if you equip a C8 to the level of the ZL1, you are looking at ~$80K. Not only will you need to add the 2LT package, but MRC, as well. I am somewhat skeptical that the C8 will out perform the ZL1 in anything more than 0-60 times. Since low 11 second quarter mile times are attainable with the stock ZL1, I think it is very likely that the ZL1 would track down the C8 on the big end.

I think handling / track lap times may be the same. Once again, I am just talking about the ZL1 not the ZLE. There are more than a few test reviews that show that the standard ZL1 performs better around the track than the C7 Grand Sport.

Yes, I own a ZL1 and I may be biased. But for a reality check, I don't think the ~$63K base model (gas guzzler - maybe - delivery charge) on all-season tires will approach the ZL1 as far as performance, features or comfort.

Just as a final point: My A10 ZL1 shifts faster, in performance shift mode, than the DCT in our AMG.
Lafourche1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 09:29 AM   #134
Dave-ROR

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearheadSS View Post
Why do you even have a deposit on one? You have stated MANY times that you have a deposit on one but the fact there is no manual kills the deal for you. I don't understand this logic. Either you have a deposit on it because you want to buy it or you're just trying to show off.
Because I know at some point I want have the option. Manuals are dying unfortunately. The C8 is simply the first DCT only car that I've been willing to consider but I still have a strong desire to drive cars with a MT. Maybe I just can't believe that I am actually willing to consider it myself so I keep mentioning the lack of a MT. I'll ask the therapist I don't have.

My struggle on buying the base car will be based on it's track performance. I am skeptical that it'll be better on track than the ZLE so I will likely wait until the C8Z or C8GS. Either way I'm looking forward to seeing one in person and sitting in it to see if it would even make sense for me (helmet room, general comfort, etc).

And seriously who shows off by having a deposit on a car?
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback

Too many cars.. never.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:37 AM   #135
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Tadge said in an interview no manual transmission. Said take rate on C7 is now less than 15% so they couldn't find anyone to develop one for such low volume.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 09:52 AM   #136
Gen6_1Le

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1Le
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
Tadge said in an interview no manual transmission. Said take rate on C7 is now less than 15% so they couldn't find anyone to develop one for such low volume.
And we all know he would never lie or mislead anyone.
Gen6_1Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 09:57 AM   #137
Dave-ROR

Quote:
It would also take a redesign of the center console I expect. Unfortunately I don't see an MT coming to the C8.

Too many cars.. never.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:07 AM   #138
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Quote:
It does but it’s an updated version.
Yeah I actually found an article, think Road & Track, with the LT2 specs, says AFM...Damn! Guess Range will be needed again!

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 01:14 PM   #139
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
That's true lol but his reasoning was sound. If the current take rate of the MT is only 15% you would need to have someone develop a transmission for maybe 3K cars per year.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 03:36 PM   #140
Frank237

Drives: Kubota 2640, 83 BMW R-65, 2017 1 SS
Visit the Corvette forums...There are are a thousand guys with DEPOSITS down, some of them not refundable....on a car most haven't even SEEN, much less sat in and tried out for size. These same guys don't even know what the ACTUAL PRICING will be either.

NO ONE is moving to the Camaro because of the C8, it's going to be the opposite. I'm already plotting on how to get out of my 1SS and get a C-8 come next Spring/Summer. The car is an absolute game changer.
Frank237 is offline   Reply With Quote