Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-16-2019, 04:48 PM   #1
pumalex

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro
Race car build

Hey everyone, newbie here in the world of Chevy. I am a past-time mechanic and crew chief of a race team which races in a local championship here in Quebec. The serie is based on a power to weight ratio of cars under 300whp. We have built a RSX in which we won the championship in 2013 and 2 years later, we built a new car, a Scion FRS and won the championship on our first year using the brand new car, in 2015.

We have been on and off racing since then but we just got an opportunity we couldn't refuse. A local dealership wants us to run for him, he will give us a new car and some money to build it and we are going to race under his colors.

So basically, we are going to be building a 2019 or 2020 Camaro with the 2L since we can't race the V6 or V8 in our serie. Plus, the weight will be lower and we are going to achieve easily the 300 whp we need.

I don't know anything about Camaros or any domestic car, my question is what would be the parts you guys would install on a race car.

It has to be with the 2L, under 300whp.
It will run on quality street tires, not slick (spec serie tires).
We can have the parts directly from GM at around 40% rebate since we would be going through the dealership.
We will need to run 18x9 wheels since the maximum tire size for the serie is 245 wide and 18"

So far we are pretty sure we are going to be running KW suspension as it is easily available locally and had some good luck with it so far. We were thinking of going with the OEM 6 piston in front since we can have them for cheaper and will probably be enough. Not sure on wheels as not many 18" will fit the 6 pistons from my research.

What else would you use for suspension? What are the must do engine or tuning mod? Are the parts of the 1LE like the upgraded intercooler or oil cooler strong enough for door to door race duty? What about the radiator, clutch, etc.

thanks for any pointer you can give us.

Alex
pumalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 12:12 PM   #2
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Apex 18s clear OEM 6 pot calipers. Provoste uses them on his SS 1le. Fyi Apex now have Camaro specific rims and likely the best price vs longevity. Tons of club racers use them as well. Best luck with your build!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 01:50 PM   #3
Move_Over

Drives: ISO ss 1le
I also run Apex 18" that fit over 6pot brakes so I can attest to the fitment. They make a great wheel for the money, lots of BMW's use them.
Move_Over is offline   Reply With Quote