Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-10-2022, 10:41 AM   #1
2020maro

Drives: Camaro SS 1999&2020
Exclamation HIT AND RUN/BODY WORK ADVICE PLZ

⚠️⚠️BODY WORK ADVICE ??⚠️⚠️

I’m currently living anyones Camaro nightmare(: my car was hit and run to the right back quarter panel and the shop I took it to for insurance is putting bondo on the quarter panel… my question is… is it better to put “some bondo” on the car rather then change the whole quarter panel! I’m being told by the shop owner that they don’t want to mess with the cars original body metal. As well as it takes longer if quarter panel was fully replaced …. (I don’t care how long I just want my car to look somewhat original before the hit)

There’s a video from the shop and photo of the bondo as well as photos right after the hit and run damage !
Attached Images

2020maro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 11:00 AM   #2
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
The lower damage is to the plastic bumper cover. That can be filled, sanded, and repainted.
The upper damage seems to have spared the semicircle crease over the wheel well. But there is a new crease from the dent you want removed completely. That will take some talent to straighten and fill perfectly. This comes down to the skill of the shop. You could ask to see pictures of similar repairs on other cars. The hyper blue metallic is not going to be too forgiving of imperfections. But a new rear quarter is a lot more work, more costly, and also requires skill.

Also, I hope "bondo" is just a term they are using. Modern putties and fillers are more advanced than old-scholl bondo.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 11:11 AM   #3
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
that almost new car deserves a new quarter panel.your insurance company recommended you take it to that particular shop so they could do substandard work and the insurance company could save money and leave you with a substancially devalued car should you decide to sell it.let me guess,progressive insurance? they tried to force my boss at a classic car restoration shop to do this and he refused.as a matter of fact i had no idea he knew some of the words he used on that adjuster.in any event thecar(67 nova) got a whole new quarter panel and yours should too.same with the bumper.im sure you arent paying low,low rates for your car premiums and they are trying to screw you...
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 11:30 AM   #4
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
your insurance company recommended you take it to that particular shop so they could do substandard work and the insurance company could save money...
Well, yeah, probably.
Pretty sure he's entitled to another estimate. I would want full confidence in any shop replacing a rear quarter. it's a complex piece on a camaro.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 11:43 AM   #5
2020maro

I pay over $300 a month to STATE FARM!! this should be replaced as it was shown in my supplement as it being fully replaced. They are claiming they were only given 12 hours for the quarter panel…
Old 05-10-2022, 11:47 AM   #6
xplct

Drives: 2022 camaro 2ss 1LE
I would want all new shit put back on. It will never be the same otherwise.
Old 05-10-2022, 12:00 PM   #7
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020maro View Post
I pay over $300 a month to STATE FARM!! this should be replaced as it was shown in my supplement as it being fully replaced. They are claiming they were only given 12 hours for the quarter panel…
I have State Farm too. Don't you have a personal contact you work with? I pay the State Farm premium to avoid this sort of treatment.

I would speak to my rep if I were you, and reject this plan entirely.

I had a shop try the same excuse, that they were underpaid by insurance, I told them to figure it out with the insurance company and they did.

In the end of the day, you have choices. It is still your car.
Old 05-10-2022, 12:01 PM   #8
redcoats1976

Quote:
if i were you i would tell this shop to cease work on your car and get in touch with your state insurance comissioner.there is no doubt in my mind that they are trying to foist a shoddy repair off on you and make some extra money.apparently state farm agrees that it should be replaced or they would not have written that on your supplement so you should inform them of this as well.the body shop is trying to take advantage of you as a woman...be outraged,break out the pepper spray,then gouge their eyes out! i wouldnt want this shop to touch my car ever,even if they claim they will install a new quarter.call your insurance rep NOW
Old 05-10-2022, 12:23 PM   #9
2020maro

I called them. They are a mess. I may take it to a different shop now. Being a woman with a Camaro can’t be tricky LOL
Old 05-10-2022, 12:36 PM   #10
mcintyre1969

Drives: 1968 SS/RS, 2006 H2 2016 2SS White
Ya'll trying to freak this poor woman out? Replacing that rear quarter panel is tricky and I would not let just anybody do that. Surprised someone has not brought up an attorney yet!

Last edited by mcintyre1969; 05-10-2022 at 01:05 PM.
mcintyre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 12:44 PM   #11
redcoats1976

Quote:
I called them. They are a mess. I may take it to a different shop now. Being a woman with a Camaro can’t be tricky LOL
first thing,call your insurance rep and let them know what being done.next,i would find a better shop to replace the quarter and bumper.probably there are some folks on this forum that can recommend a quality shop in your area.look at finished work at that shop,and also try to see some work in progress so you can see if they are cutting corners like the first shop did.the reason you should call your state insurance commissioner is to screw this body shop to the wall.they should not get away with this,youre probably not the first.
Old 05-10-2022, 01:56 PM   #12
CanadianVetZL1

Drives: 2021 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
The point of paying for insurance is to have it fixed " Properly" As in returned to its pre-accident state.

If you were paying for it yourself and wanted a quick fix, this is how it is done, but it is by no means proper. This would fall in the "good enough" category for repairs.........like on your lawn tractor etc.
Eibach Pro Lowering Kit
Oracle Side markers (Paint matched)
Rear window "wind screen"
Xpel Paint Protection
Ceramic Pro Coating
CanadianVetZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 02:24 PM   #13
mcintyre1969

Drives: 1968 SS/RS, 2006 H2 2016 2SS White
Define Properly
Old 05-10-2022, 05:05 PM   #14
redcoats1976

repaired with new parts,minimal bondo where the quarter meets the rest of the car,all gaps as they were before the wreck,chassis alignment checked,trunk check for leaks,and a good,matching basecoat/clearcoat paint applied so it looks and functions as new.we have a shop here that guarantees their paint work for the life of the car.insurance aint cheap,and now its time for them to make this car right.