Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 01-10-2022, 08:41 PM   #1
CC2018SS1LE

Drives: 2018 Chevy Camaro ss 1LE
Video; Porsches worst nightmare at Sebring,SS1LE

Hi guy's, you will love this video, I put on G3R tires on my 1LE, holy shit, it transformed the car. Last year C8s and Porsches always were able to pass me, not anymore. I went after some really fast Porsches, watch what happens

Here is a link videos are not working on this forum
https://youtu.be/bibPSMtj53s

Last edited by CC2018SS1LE; 01-18-2022 at 11:50 PM.
CC2018SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 12:24 AM   #2
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Love watching you out-turn a 911 turbo, because to some extent, a rear engine is just trying to polish a turd compared to mid and even front-mid engine, with enough exotic engineering you can make it turn, but it takes a lot more money to do so and that same money invested into a better chassis would result in an even better turning car. Obvious handling issues become obvious in video...

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 01:15 AM   #3
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Love watching you out-turn a 911 turbo, because to some extent, a rear engine is just trying to polish a turd compared to mid and even front-mid engine, with enough exotic engineering you can make it turn, but it takes a lot more money to do so and that same money invested into a better chassis would result in an even better turning car. Obvious handling issues become obvious in video...
And the 1LE just plain looks better doing it!
Old 01-11-2022, 06:35 AM   #4
CC2018SS1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Hey James, I was surprised to see the Porsche’s have so much trouble in the big turns. I think it was the bumps and the short wheelbase. I see those cars bouncing around like crazy. Our cars are tanks, I do not even feel the bumps so as soon as I can, I nail it, and the car, takes off
Old 01-11-2022, 06:37 AM   #5
CC2018SS1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
And the 1LE just plain looks better doing it!
Could not agree with you more, these cars are so badass. I can not imagine why they are going to do away with this car after 2023.
Old 01-11-2022, 02:39 PM   #6
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Having just got my first Porsche (2022 GT4) , and watching a bunch of Porsche track videos, I can tell you that Porsche's PASM is not as good as MRC.

Porsche's damping curves for their GT cars (not sure about regular ones) are that of super high compression and not quite enough rebound, so the ride (both front & back) is "springy" like that of a pogo stick.

If you watch videos online of Porsche's from a chase car view, you will see they all bounce and have some lateral movement in the rear.

I am swapping out my PASM on my GT4 for MCS 2-way remote dampers to correct this issue. A lot of those that track their GT3's will swap out for MCS dampers for this reason.

I have to say, it is a little disappointing as I was not expecting to have to swap suspension on a Porsche GT car.

Having said that, I do love everything else about the car, so it is worth it for me to do the swap. The interior and build quality is a few notches above GM. So, it is a much nicer place to spend time in. Also, mid-engine is AWESOME. I can take corners quicker in the GT4 than I could in the SS 1LE and it just slices thru them like nothing.

MRC is superior to ANY other MFG's active independent suspension systems.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 06:13 PM   #7
5.M0NSTER

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Nice video, and good driving!

I hate to say this, but in my experience majority of the P-car drivers out there do not push their cars, or are afraid to come close to the limit. Perhaps when you drive a less expensive car you are less worried about crashing, so you push harder. Or perhaps you have money to buy the car and no time to learn to drive it. Either way, I have plenty of examples of getting by a "superior" car, even in something like the 370hp M2. The SS 1LE is plenty fast to get 80% of Porsche's out there when driven well.

In the last video I am on factory SC2 tires, and the 911 is on R-comp slicks. In the other videos, I have no idea who's on what, but I was on MP Sport Cup 2s.

5.M0NSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 10:03 PM   #8
CC2018SS1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
Having just got my first Porsche (2022 GT4) , and watching a bunch of Porsche track videos, I can tell you that Porsche's PASM is not as good as MRC.

Porsche's damping curves for their GT cars (not sure about regular ones) are that of super high compression and not quite enough rebound, so the ride (both front & back) is "springy" like that of a pogo stick.

If you watch videos online of Porsche's from a chase car view, you will see they all bounce and have some lateral movement in the rear.

I am swapping out my PASM on my GT4 for MCS 2-way remote dampers to correct this issue. A lot of those that track their GT3's will swap out for MCS dampers for this reason.

I have to say, it is a little disappointing as I was not expecting to have to swap suspension on a Porsche GT car.

Having said that, I do love everything else about the car, so it is worth it for me to do the swap. The interior and build quality is a few notches above GM. So, it is a much nicer place to spend time in. Also, mid-engine is AWESOME. I can take corners quicker in the GT4 than I could in the SS 1LE and it just slices thru them like nothing.

MRC is superior to ANY other MFG's active independent suspension systems.
Don’t get me wrong, I would kill for a GT4, amazing cars. But you are correct they are terrible over bumps, kinda crazy that you have to put several thousand dollars, to get the car where you want it. But, what you say, makes a lot of sense.
Enjoy that car!!!
Old 01-11-2022, 11:09 PM   #9
CC2018SS1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
Nice video, and good driving!

I hate to say this, but in my experience majority of the P-car drivers out there do not push their cars, or are afraid to come close to the limit. Perhaps when you drive a less expensive car you are less worried about crashing, so you push harder. Or perhaps you have money to buy the car and no time to learn to drive it. Either way, I have plenty of examples of getting by a "superior" car, even in something like the 370hp M2. The SS 1LE is plenty fast to get 80% of Porsche's out there when driven well.

In the last video I am on factory SC2 tires, and the 911 is on R-comp slicks. In the other videos, I have no idea who's on what, but I was on MP Sport Cup 2s.

Thank you!
I find Porsche guys either are slow as hell or fast as hell, almost no in between.

I tried watching your videos, but it does not load. I’ll try tomorrow and click on the link
Old 01-12-2022, 12:16 PM   #10
closs2sx

Drives: 1970 chevelle
I feel like the P cars make a bad driver look good. It takes a driver to push a front engine rear drive car with tons of torque and hp. Yeah they are nice cars and have great interiors but put some horse power and torque in them so that it takes some skill to push them around the track and then they would be fun and I would buy one. A gt2 rs with a manual transmission would be a start for me.
Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic
Dads Car
2013 ZL1 vin 963
Crystal Red Tint Coat/Black Wheels
Exposed Carbon Fiber Insert
6 Spd Manual
closs2sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 02:17 PM   #11
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by closs2sx View Post
I feel like the P cars make a bad driver look good. It takes a driver to push a front engine rear drive car with tons of torque and hp. Yeah they are nice cars and have great interiors but put some horse power and torque in them so that it takes some skill to push them around the track and then they would be fun and I would buy one. A gt2 rs with a manual transmission would be a start for me.
Having had my 2022 PDK GT4 for a month now, the numbers are deceiving.

My SS 1LE had 460HP & 460 TQ, but weighed like 3,7xx, I believe.

My PDK GT4 is 414HP & 317 TQ, and weighs 3,2xx

The GT4 feels and IS a good amount quicker than my SS 1LE was. Both in low speed and high speed. The GT4 pulls much harder in the upper RPM band and it is something you can feel in your seat.

Either Porsche is sandbagging their numbers and/or the drivetrain lose is minimal, because it feels and IS much quicker than its numbers on paper.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 05:04 PM   #12
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Great driving as always!
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 06:19 PM   #13
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:

The GT4 feels and IS a good amount quicker than my SS 1LE was. Both in low speed and high speed. The GT4 pulls much harder in the upper RPM band and it is something you can feel in your seat.

Either Porsche is sandbagging their numbers and/or the drivetrain lose is minimal, because it feels and IS much quicker than its numbers on paper.
Chevy is always SAE at the crankshaft.

Most high end European stuff is dynoing at the wheels the claimed numbers...at least.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 07:01 PM   #14
Dabjbr

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE
Quote:

I have a deposit on a Lotus Emira. If all goes well and the reviews are solid, I hope to take delivery in early 2024.

I hope it's similar to your experience with the GT4 as the power/weight is nearly identical.
Dabjbr is offline   Reply With Quote