Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-13-2022, 10:07 PM   #15
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman64 View Post
I got the JL Audio powered box installed, and I have to say I'm disappointed. When it works correctly it sounds ok, but not nearly as impactful as the previous vehicle I had it installed in. The biggest problem is that it seems like a lot of times, it putting out bass that isn't sync'd with the music that's playing. Some times it just a low drone of bass that can happen even when no music is playing ( between songs). Other times it seems like a beat that is off with the music. When it was installed I asked the installer if he had any issues getting a clean signal for the sub, to which he said no, it was straight forward. In light of it's performance I'm doubting that was the case.
Did he use those crappy line level converters? Or does the box take full signal?

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 05:58 AM   #16
SWRocket

Drives: 2021 2SS
Quote:
I got the JL Audio powered box installed, and I have to say I'm disappointed. When it works correctly it sounds ok, but not nearly as impactful as the previous vehicle I had it installed in. The biggest problem is that it seems like a lot of times, it putting out bass that isn't sync'd with the music that's playing. Some times it just a low drone of bass that can happen even when no music is playing ( between songs). Other times it seems like a beat that is off with the music. When it was installed I asked the installer if he had any issues getting a clean signal for the sub, to which he said no, it was straight forward. In light of it's performance I'm doubting that was the case.
I may have missed this, do you have ANC? If so, you need to bypass it or you do get that drone in the bass.
2021 2SS A10 - Summit White - NPP - MRC - Adrenaline Red Interior Pkg - Black Appearance Pkg - Ground Effect Pkg - Suede Steering Wheel and shifter - Red Calipers - Carbon Flash Wheels w black lug nuts - DD Tinted Side Markers - Hero Tinted Rear Reflectors - Redline Fender Badges - 20% Tint
Audio System Build Log
-----------------------------------------------------------
2014 Z/28 Summit White - sold 2020
2010 2SS/RS Summit White - sold 2014
SWRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 10:51 AM   #17
Jman64

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE in Rapid Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWRocket View Post
I may have missed this, do you have ANC? If so, you need to bypass it or you do get that drone in the bass.
Hmm I hadn't heard of this before. I'm guessing my installer didn't know about it. I guess I'll try ordering one of the bypasses and see if that helps. Thanks for the heads up.
Jman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 11:16 AM   #18
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
A 2ss with Bose will have ANC.
Use the bypass or disable the mics some other way (involves cutting wire).

If you care, here's why you have noise:
The ANC works like a call-and-response. The drivetrain makes a low frequency rumble which gets picked up by the door mics. The stereo outputs a sound to cancel out that rumble.
To work properly, timing is key. When you install a subwoofer amp it introduces a slight delay in the signal path compared to the stock setup. Instead of a perfectly timed output which cancels noise you get one that adds noise.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 12:01 PM   #19
Jman64

I ordered that sub-thump bypass. I'm hoping this will improve things. Thanks everyone for the info.
Old 04-16-2022, 10:52 AM   #20
WiggyB

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjilslaire View Post
What kind of amp are you running?
I'm a pioneer guy so 1000watt amp 2 10inch subs all pioneer. I got the idea because I have a 2004 Avalanche bose system and have a similar setup in there also.
WiggyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 11:05 AM   #21
WiggyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChevyDC3 View Post
2 10's?? How in the world?? Were they free-air? Slimline? Pics of the setup would be superb
Nothing outrageous but it does take up 1/2 the trunk space. Since this is just my weekend joy toy I don't using it for anything that would require the trunk space.
Attached Images

Old 04-16-2022, 11:08 AM   #22
WiggyB

Quote:
I had the same problem and had to switch the enclosure that the speakers were in. Made a world of difference.
Old 04-18-2022, 05:58 PM   #23
Jman64

I don't know if they changed the bose amp connections in 2022 but the sub-thump bypass doesn't seem to fit with the amps connector. I'm going to have to do some more research but I'm kind of stuck atm.
Old 04-19-2022, 01:14 PM   #24
Jman64

So I was making a mistake with the harness's install. After that getting pointed out to me I was able to install it correctly, and it seems to be working. My bass seems to be sync'd now, and I am not getting any bass drone from the sub. It's a big step in the right direction. I will live with it for awhile and see if I want to dig deeper into the system.
Old 04-19-2022, 02:53 PM   #25
SWRocket

Drives: 2021 2SS
Glad you got it sorted
2021 2SS A10 - Summit White - NPP - MRC - Adrenaline Red Interior Pkg - Black Appearance Pkg - Ground Effect Pkg - Suede Steering Wheel and shifter - Red Calipers - Carbon Flash Wheels w black lug nuts - DD Tinted Side Markers - Hero Tinted Rear Reflectors - Redline Fender Badges - 20% Tint
Audio System Build Log
-----------------------------------------------------------
2014 Z/28 Summit White - sold 2020
2010 2SS/RS Summit White - sold 2014
SWRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 05:44 PM   #26
DarkKnyte

Drives: 2021 Camaro 2SS 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
No one I know of has measured the frequencies going to various speakers, but, yes, it seems the rear side speakers get a high pass filter and the rear deck 6x9's (as well as the door 6x9's) get a low pass applied.
I have, and this is accurate. Rear side speakers have bass roll off starting at 160hz. Rear deck speakers don't really start getting any power at all until 1K, with a noticeable increase at 160hz, and peaking at ~50hz. Even with all the power the factory amp gives them, they are still pretty quiet compared to the fronts, which have the same bass energy, but the speakers are much more responsive to it.

I'm working on putting some documentation together about the 2020+ Bose System.
DarkKnyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 03:05 PM   #27
Jman64

Having lived with the JL sub box for a couple weeks now, I'm still not sure what I'm going to do. The sub box adds some nice lows to the system and makes a difference. I do wonder if the system starts to roll off the bass as you increase volume, as it seems to but that's just going off my ears, and not factual data. ( I know some factory systems do that, not sure about the Camaro Bose system).
In figuring out what I'd need to do to improve the rest of the system, I figure I'm looking at something like the AudioControl LCQ-1 to sum the signals and give me usable outs to an amp. A 4 or maybe 8 channel amp, and new speakers. By the time you have it installed I'm probably looking in the 3-4K $$ range. I'm sure it would sound amazing, I'm just not sure if excellent audio is worth that much to me these days.
Old 05-12-2022, 10:38 PM   #28
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
Quote:
In figuring out what I'd need to do to improve the rest of the system, I figure I'm looking at something like the AudioControl LCQ-1 to sum the signals and give me usable outs to an amp. A 4 or maybe 8 channel amp, and new speakers. By the time you have it installed I'm probably looking in the 3-4K $$ range. I'm sure it would sound amazing, I'm just not sure if excellent audio is worth that much to me these days.
I am right where you are - I want the big system but don't want to pay the price. On a budget, I am thinking I could just grab the door speaker signals with a decent amp that takes speaker level inputs. I thinking maybe do that first, then look at adding more and more stuff slowly.

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote