Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-07-2021, 05:39 AM   #15
SnowWhiteSS

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitchell17 View Post
I put this in:

https://www.magnaflow.com/products/1...rmance-muffler

I put it in place of the factory x pipe location on the NPP. There is a thread about it somewhere around here. I am still not satisfied, mainly because I want refined and more exotic and luxurious sound.

This muffler did take away the annoying and overly loud startup rasp, but at the same time took away the growl of the stock exhaust at idle and low throttle/low rpms. It also got rid of the obnoxious and over loudness at WOT, so now you can go WOT and not worry so much about 80 different people calling the cops on you.

I am wishing I did the Borla resonator like some other people were talking about, I am just not sure if that actually attenuates any sound at all. This magnaflow x-pipe muffler actually has fiber packing to attenuate sound.

I have since put my stock exhaust manifolds and both cats back on and sold my headers. I sold the headers because I can't stand the crappy broken POS ticking sounds. Although I can still hear them with the stock exhaust. Now the car kind of sounds like a old crappy van/work truck that the factory exhaust rusted off, so someone welded in their own pipe and put a cheap muffler from the auto parts store on haha.

So a resonator isn’t for quieting things down. It’s for deleting unwanted frequencies. Those rasp sounds you here are higher frequencies that bounce around the pipe, the resonator is suppose to trap those frequencies never allowing them to escape far enough to reach your ears. They don’t have metal mesh packing because they aren’t really suppose to quiet the car down. Sounds like a resonator is all you needed.
SnowWhiteSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 10:41 AM   #16
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitchell17 View Post
I put this in:

https://www.magnaflow.com/products/1...rmance-muffler

I put it in place of the factory x pipe location on the NPP. There is a thread about it somewhere around here. I am still not satisfied, mainly because I want refined and more exotic and luxurious sound.

This muffler did take away the annoying and overly loud startup rasp, but at the same time took away the growl of the stock exhaust at idle and low throttle/low rpms. It also got rid of the obnoxious and over loudness at WOT, so now you can go WOT and not worry so much about 80 different people calling the cops on you.

I am wishing I did the Borla resonator like some other people were talking about, I am just not sure if that actually attenuates any sound at all. This magnaflow x-pipe muffler actually has fiber packing to attenuate sound.

I have since put my stock exhaust manifolds and both cats back on and sold my headers. I sold the headers because I can't stand the crappy broken POS ticking sounds. Although I can still hear them with the stock exhaust. Now the car kind of sounds like a old crappy van/work truck that the factory exhaust rusted off, so someone welded in their own pipe and put a cheap muffler from the auto parts store on haha.
Thanks for the tip! I'll keep it in mind once mine are installed.
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 06:07 PM   #17
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowWhiteSS View Post

So a resonator isn’t for quieting things down. It’s for deleting unwanted frequencies. Those rasp sounds you here are higher frequencies that bounce around the pipe, the resonator is suppose to trap those frequencies never allowing them to escape far enough to reach your ears. They don’t have metal mesh packing because they aren’t really suppose to quiet the car down. Sounds like a resonator is all you needed.
I've heard the Borla "resonator" supposedly has ceramic packing. Not sure how true that is, but if it does it should attenuate some of the sound and turn it into heat.
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 10:10 AM   #18
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Ime The Borla 60608 does a great job of "taming" the exhaust.

I previously had Cat delete pipes -> stock x -> Flowmaster Npp. VERY loud with valves open @ WOT, Loud part throttle, and fairly loud at idle. I often closed the valves when driving because the sound was fatiguing.

I switched to Cat delete pipes -> Borla 60608 X -> Corsa Npp. Very loud WOT with valves open, Loud but tolerable part throttle, and civil at idle. It's actually perfect and very seldom do I close the valves because it is stock like quiet and not needed unless I start the car late at night.

So I believe the 60608 is providing most of the sound control because with the valves open the mufflers are pretty much bypassed on both exhaust systems.

Another example, with the old setup I couldn't hear any bass out of the stereo with the valves open, new setup I can listen to the stereo over the exhaust even with valves open.

So if you delete primary cats I suggest a resonated X pipe or maybe that magnaflow muffler some use to tame the exhaust note.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 09:48 AM   #19
atmosphere617

Drives: 17 SS Camaro 1LE
Thanks for all the input guys. I ordered the borla 60608 resonator, and hopefully I can get it welded in this weekend. I'll make sure to post my results!!
atmosphere617 is offline   Reply With Quote