Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 07-16-2020, 11:57 AM   #29
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
Well I do know that to put a catchcan on my ZL1 is a real pain in the ass so I probably won’t be adding one and I still have the drivetrain warranty left!
It's probably a 4 hr job if your first time doing it. Just remove it if you have a major warranty claim.

Well worth the piece of mind that nasty fuel contaminated blowby crap isn't spraying into my intake
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 12:55 PM   #30
caSStro18

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Curious...what are the potential problems that could come from installing a catch can? What are some of the things a dealer could claim happened do to a catch can?
caSStro18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 04:18 PM   #31
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by caSStro18 View Post
Curious...what are the potential problems that could come from installing a catch can? What are some of the things a dealer could claim happened do to a catch can?
dealer doesn't have to claim anything, that one is tampering with emissions control, which is also a federal crime.
Old 07-16-2020, 05:22 PM   #32
Zaqwert6

Drives: 2SS
Quote:
Nothing. Worst case scenario, you have a vacuum leak and it throws a CEL until you fix it. There's really no negatives unless you were to let it fill up and not empty it. Then it would suck that oil in to where it was going anyway...just all at once. LOL.
Zaqwert6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 05:25 PM   #33
Zaqwert6

Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
dealer doesn't have to claim anything, that one is tampering with emissions control, which is also a federal crime.
LOL. Nothing 'emissions' is being tampered or altered. In fact, if anything, you are stopping oil from running back through the wrong part of the motor. If it's anything, it's an improvement emissions wise. (not really)

It's nothing more than an additional oil filter.
Old 07-16-2020, 06:03 PM   #34
s346k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaqwert6 View Post
LOL. Nothing 'emissions' is being tampered or altered. In fact, if anything, you are stopping oil from running back through the wrong part of the motor. If it's anything, it's an improvement emissions wise. (not really)

It's nothing more than an additional oil filter.
try again.
Old 07-16-2020, 06:07 PM   #35
L8Apex

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-10R View Post
It's probably a 4 hr job if your first time doing it. Just remove it if you have a major warranty claim.

Well worth the piece of mind that nasty fuel contaminated blowby crap isn't spraying into my intake
Is the ZL1 somehow way harder to do? My SS took maybe an hour.
L8Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 06:14 PM   #36
Zaqwert6

Quote:
try again.
LOL, thanks for the detailed and factual ridden retort.

I've tried a half dozen times actually. I've live in multiple states with full vehicle inspections and have yet to ever have a catch can ever be noticed, never the less fail and emissions inspection. And that half dozen is a conservative number to the say the least. Not to mention I've had my Gen 5 and Gen 6 to the dealer for service and never had a question in the slightest.

Nothing about the way the PVC system functions is altered, nothing about the emissions output is altered. Your car has to pass emissions for it's model year, simple as that. It's not rocket science, voodoo or some mystical concept. Keep your car in EPA compliance and you're legal. I don't have to even keep the original engine in the car , never mind a 3" piece of factory rubber hose.
Old 07-16-2020, 06:45 PM   #37
s346k

i'm not arguing a catch cans ability or use. im simply saying that the factory pcv is part of the emissions control equipment. tampering with it is illegal. i'm not going to do your homework for you. google can tell you everything you need to know about the legality and intended purpose of a pcv system.

telling others its fine is not ok. knowing the laws first helps and they should at least be aware so they can make their own educated decisions.
Old 07-16-2020, 07:42 PM   #38
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Yes L8Apex, the S/C lid has to be removed and some other things done. It probably is worth installing one and maybe I will in a couple of years when the drivetrain warranty 5yr/60,000 mile is up.
Old 07-16-2020, 10:22 PM   #39
ZX-10R

Quote:
i'm not arguing a catch cans ability or use. im simply saying that the factory pcv is part of the emissions control equipment. tampering with it is illegal.
blah blah - installing a catch can that isn't vented has exactly zero impact on emissions, the pcv is just rerouted, not removed
Old 07-16-2020, 10:23 PM   #40
ZX-10R

Quote:
Elite Engineering has several long posts on this in the ZL1 section, try a search. Again you can always remove it if you have a significant warranty claim, but Elite claims no denials with their can design
Old 07-17-2020, 12:36 AM   #41
s346k

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-10R View Post
blah blah - installing a catch can that isn't vented has exactly zero impact on emissions, the pcv is just rerouted, not removed
it isn't removed? you don't drain the catch can?
Old 07-17-2020, 08:49 AM   #42
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
I've seen a couple of threads here on Camaro6 where warranties have been denied due to catch cans. If memory serves, it's GM, not the dealer that denies the warranty claim. I also seriously doubt that GM is going to consider the manufacturer of the can when denying the warranty. Once GM declines your warranty due to a catch can, you may as well throw in the towel as fighting them will cost more than a new motor.
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote