Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

Phastek Performance

Old 02-07-2017, 10:31 PM   #15
zeekle

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
my last three cars have been manuals and I have enjoyed them a lot. I sit in ALOT of traffic now and the manual kinda sucks for that I am afraid I will be unhappy with a auto for my camaro.

It is certainly making the search harder here having a requirement of a manual if you want something off the lot. There are probably 100 SS camaros on lots around Nashville and 6 of them are manuals.

Pretty hard to beat a dealer up about a car on his lot he wants to sell when hes at best got one and its not the color you want.

This next car might be my last manual. I just don't think in 5-10 years you will have the option of anything else.
zeekle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 10:56 PM   #16
ron scubadiver

Drives: 2017 2SS Hyper Blue
Archaeologists are uncovering an M4 in Utah as we speak...
Old 02-08-2017, 05:36 AM   #17
Corner carver

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
People who knock manuals for every reason you can think of don't get it: it's FUN!

More fun than flipping paddles or taping a shift knob. And modern automatics are only negligibly faster or as fast as manuals: in the case of the Camaro SS a couple of tenths of a second. That means absolutely nothing to me when the car is stupid fast as it is. Only when drag racing will the difference count, and again that's so little one little hiccup and the manual driver could still win.

Don't tell manual drivers what to think. You'll only piss us off because you simply don't get it.
+1... The day manuals stop being produced is the day a piece of every car enthusiast's soul withers and dies

Only auto I've ever bought/ owned is in my Colorado; simply because I couldn't have the diesel with a stick...felt 'forced' into the auto :/
If toyota had a tacoma diesel with a stick there would've little choice to make.
Corner carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:05 AM   #18
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corner carver View Post
+1... The day manuals stop being produced is the day a piece of every car enthusiast's soul withers and dies

Only auto I've ever bought/ owned is in my Colorado; simply because I couldn't have the diesel with a stick...felt 'forced' into the auto :/
If toyota had a tacoma diesel with a stick there would've little choice to make.
Go to South America and buy a Hilux!
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:15 AM   #19
Dysan911

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary 2SS
Absolutely nothing wrong with the Auto but one thing I've noticed and maybe it's just me but when my buddies, family or even a stranger walks up and asks if I got the Six Speed and I tell them I went with the auto. It's like you can see some disappointment on their face. lol. Like "Ohh ok". Thats typically when you start hearing

Auto is faster
Track Car
Daily Driver
Bum Knee

Which hey. Not saying those aren't valid points.

Glad I went with the M6 on this one.. Truly fun to drive
Former Ride: 17 Camaro 2SS, M6 - Fifty | Procharger P1SC | 3.7 Pulley | Stage 2 IC | Race Bypass | DSX FF Kit | JRE Custom E85 Flex Fuel Tune | LT4 Fuel System | JMS Voltage Booster | MSD Plug Wires | American Racing 1-7/8's LT Headers Full System Catback | Baro Breakout Harness | LT4 Map Sensor | Katech Ported TB | MMS Oil Catch Can | 160 Thermo | Solo Performance J-Pipes

Dysan911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:16 AM   #20
ron scubadiver

Drives: 2017 2SS Hyper Blue
The manual vs auto debate changed a lot about 4 years ago when automatic transmissions got a whole lot better. It used to be an M6 produced faster acceleration and lower fuel consumption than an A6, but when A8 transmissions started showing up the tables turned leaving manuals with nothing but "involvement".
Old 02-08-2017, 08:18 AM   #21
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
Absolutely nothing wrong with the Auto but one thing I've noticed and maybe it's just me but when my buddies, family or even a stranger walks up and asks if I got the Six Speed and I tell them I went with the auto. It's like you can see some disappointment on their face. lol. Like "Ohh ok". Thats typically when you start hearing

Auto is faster
Track Car
Daily Driver
Bum Knee

Which hey. Not saying those aren't valid points.

Glad I went with the M6 on this one.. Truly fun to drive
Tell them it's "paddle shifted"...and watch them go "ooooohh".

I've noticed that non-car people really don't understand what's going on, especially where pre-conceptions are concerned.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:21 AM   #22
Dysan911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Tell them it's "paddle shifted"...and watch them go "ooooohh".

I've noticed that non-car people really don't understand what's going on, especially where pre-conceptions are concerned.

Yeah except even my grandmothers 2012 Kia Optima is paddle shifted.
Former Ride: 17 Camaro 2SS, M6 - Fifty | Procharger P1SC | 3.7 Pulley | Stage 2 IC | Race Bypass | DSX FF Kit | JRE Custom E85 Flex Fuel Tune | LT4 Fuel System | JMS Voltage Booster | MSD Plug Wires | American Racing 1-7/8's LT Headers Full System Catback | Baro Breakout Harness | LT4 Map Sensor | Katech Ported TB | MMS Oil Catch Can | 160 Thermo | Solo Performance J-Pipes

Old 02-08-2017, 08:22 AM   #23
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
Yeah except even my grandmothers 2012 Kia Optima is paddle shifted.
I know.

Truth is...if I were buying an SS, tomorrow - I'd get a stick...even if it were offered with a A10...there's something about that LT1 that feels great with a good manual transmission.

But the ZL1? .......
Old 02-08-2017, 08:22 AM   #24
BrianL

Drives: 2016 2SS, Red Hot, NPP, Nav, M6
All I could find was manuals when I was looking, as I would have been interested in at least comparing the A8. But I also am a dinosaur at 63 I suppose, & in my mind, a great manual like the Tremec is a joy as well. All of my performance cars & sports cars have been manual. I really don't care about the auto being quicker as my M6 is plenty quick to me.

That A10 does look interesting though...
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:23 AM   #25
Diode Dynamics

Drives: Camaro Lighting Experts
I still feel more connected with a manual-equipped trans than a DCT-equipped car. Personally, I think it's much more fun to row your own gears, but it's hard to make a case to keep manual transmissions when you have better and better automatic units coming out.

Nick C.
Diode Dynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:28 AM   #26
Dysan911

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron scubadiver View Post
The manual vs auto debate changed a lot about 4 years ago when automatic transmissions got a whole lot better. It used to be an M6 produced faster acceleration and lower fuel consumption than an A6, but when A8 transmissions started showing up the tables turned leaving manuals with nothing but "involvement".

See I'd need this statement printed up on a business card that I can hand out to everyone that asks me why I didnt go with the Manual.

I totally agree with you though. It's like Mr. Wyndham said. Pre-conceptions and to add to that. personal preference.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:43 AM   #27
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcustomz View Post

Also still hard to beat the feel & sound of a good engine with loud exhaust decelerating with a stick.

Extends brake life also.
The A8 in the Camaro does the same thing. Especially if you are going down hill. The car downshifts and engine brakes. The software running the transmission is so damn smart these days.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:50 AM   #28
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Drives: Sharkskin Grey LT1
I can't imagine anything a stick car can do that a good auto can't at least match (ok, can't push start an auto) and in most cases, the modern autos are quicker in a straight line and maybe also better on the road course. Yeah, I know, it's macho to drive a stick and I've had as many of those as autos in my many years of car buying and driving. In the Alps around Cortina, Italy, my manual 2002 C5 Corvette was way more fun than you can imagine and I traded my 2010 C6 Grand Sport stick for my current Camaro.

I bought the 2010 auto 5th Gen Camaro and made a big mistake trading it for a 2012 manual. Honestly, that was not a great manual experience with wheel hop and traction problems from day one until I traded it. I spent a lot of money trying to cure those problems, but it beat me. My 2010 Grand Sport never exhibited severe problems launching and, of course, was a pleasure on a road course. My LS2 C6 base auto was faster in a straight line than the GS, but only because of mods, headers, CAI, intake manifold and tune.

I would enjoy driving stick again, but I won't trade my Camaro for one. I am thinking a late model C5 Z06 would be a great final stick experience.

Previous Performance Cars:

1966 Chevelle SS 4M, 2010 Corvette 6M
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Auto 2012 1SS 6M
1982 Corvette Auto 2010 1SS 6A
1984 Corvette Auto 2016 2SS 8A
1999 Camaro Auto 2017 HBM 1SS 1le
2002 C5 Corvette 6M 2018 2SS
2006 Corvette Auto 2023 Camaro LT1
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote