Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

Phastek Performance

Old 01-03-2017, 10:36 AM   #1
Ontech

Drives: 6th Gen Camaro LT Automatic
'16 Camaro LT Automatic Transmission Problems

Hello, I have a 2016 Camaro LT with the V6 and automatic transmission. Ever since I got it, its had what feels like transmission issues. It shifts very hard, and almost throws you froward when shifting normally. Also the car clunks very hard when STOPPED going from park into drive or reverse.. basically whenever you put it into gear, I know this is not normal. Also when slowing down to red lights at the last second there is a heavy clunk noise (every single time you slow down) so I took it in. The dealership I brought it to.. Palm Chevy in Punta Gorda, FL was eh.. they were not that nice but they said there was a recall for the TCM on my transmission to be reprogrammed *okay cool the problem will be fixed* well no the transmission still shifts badly and more recently its almost popping out of gear. Example: I was stopped at a red light today and when I left of the brake to go the car did not move. I had to give it some gas and it *popped* into place jerking the car with it. Any ideas??
Ontech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 01:36 PM   #2
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontech View Post
Hello, I have a 2016 Camaro LT with the V6 and automatic transmission. Ever since I got it, its had what feels like transmission issues. It shifts very hard, and almost throws you froward when shifting normally. Also the car clunks very hard when STOPPED going from park into drive or reverse.. basically whenever you put it into gear, I know this is not normal. Also when slowing down to red lights at the last second there is a heavy clunk noise (every single time you slow down) so I took it in. The dealership I brought it to.. Palm Chevy in Punta Gorda, FL was eh.. they were not that nice but they said there was a recall for the TCM on my transmission to be reprogrammed *okay cool the problem will be fixed* well no the transmission still shifts badly and more recently its almost popping out of gear. Example: I was stopped at a red light today and when I left of the brake to go the car did not move. I had to give it some gas and it *popped* into place jerking the car with it. Any ideas??
Had the same issue in My A8 in my SS, had the TCM and ECM reprogrammed from the dealer back in May, night and day difference, works great now!

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:32 AM   #3
Ontech

Called the dealer and they said "whenever we do a TCM update it will automatically make sure all the other software is up to date" that is bs because it still drives like S**T
Old 01-04-2017, 11:50 AM   #4
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
maybe they filled the trans with brake fluid or some other nonsense.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 09:29 AM   #5
Ontech

So I went in today because my daytime running lights were not working and I also said hey the transmission is still wacked so I saw the service guy who was working on my car and I said hey why is the trans still acting funny after the TCM update and to cut to the chase he ordered a torque converter and I will see if that works
Old 01-14-2017, 02:19 PM   #6
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
To add to your issue.. I also had the TCM reprogram. It's a recall tsb about a turbine input shaft failure. After the reflash, the Trans modes that are selectable are far more noticeable in difference.

I would also have whoever check the fluid levels when they drain it to do the converter. There are a few posts where people's fluid levels were off from the factory. Granted most of those posts were ss posts. It could easily have happened to an LT as well.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 07:22 PM   #7
Ontech

Update: my dealer actually did NOT order a converter. Total BS will never be going there again. Actually going to my personal mechanic to see what he says. Still shifts badly and clunks when shifting Park, Drive, Reverse, etc. There is still a audible pop when slowing down to a stop light almost like the trans is catching down or something. Was told it may be bad U-Joints. Any other ideas??
Old 02-08-2017, 01:41 PM   #8
PolynesianPowerhouse

Quote:
Update: my dealer actually did NOT order a converter. Total BS will never be going there again. Actually going to my personal mechanic to see what he says. Still shifts badly and clunks when shifting Park, Drive, Reverse, etc. There is still a audible pop when slowing down to a stop light almost like the trans is catching down or something. Was told it may be bad U-Joints. Any other ideas??
What did they say about the fluid levels?

U joints you may be able to check the play in em yourself visually if you can squeeze under.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
Old 02-08-2017, 04:34 PM   #9
Dustya

Drives: Overkill Supercharged 2016 CamaroV6
I would have gone to a different dealer after the first issue. Dealers are a crap shoot don't keep rolling the dice at the same place.
Dustya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 06:15 PM   #10
Ontech

Now the when the car is stopped, and I let off the brake it will not go anywhere and I have to give it a little gas and it will pop. What do you guys think this is now?
Old 02-08-2017, 07:00 PM   #11
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
I have to agree with Dustya. I would try another dealer. Maybe other forum or car club members in your area could suggest a dealer that they have been happy with.
Mark114 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 09:50 PM   #12
PolynesianPowerhouse

Quote:
Now the when the car is stopped, and I let off the brake it will not go anywhere and I have to give it a little gas and it will pop. What do you guys think this is now?
Low fluid
Lack of clutch engagement until pressure builds
Loose bands

Take it to another dealer like others have said.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:30 AM   #13
Ontech

Hello UPDATE: Going to new dealership for service tomorrow, car is running terrible, jerking around, almost sounds like it bogs down sometimes, etc. Will update after tomorrow.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:32 AM   #14
ponch333

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0 A8
Quote:
My 2017 2.0 does the same thing. When coming to a stop the car shudders / vibrates and when I try to go from a stop the car barely moves. When I feel the shudder I move the shifter to manual and it shows the car is in 3rd gear. So GM TAKE NOTE!! THESE CARS HAVE TANSMISSION PROBLEMS! I apologize for shouting and jacking your post. LOL
ponch333 is offline   Reply With Quote