Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Thread Closed

Old 05-18-2021, 02:24 PM   #71
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
Agree for non boosted engines you probably don't need a catch can unless it's a racing application.

Any boosted application needs one in my experience (possible exception of the new Civic Type R) - in general the more boost, the more blowby

UOAs will show a difference in fuel contamination (much less) when running a quality catch can (of adequate volume)
Old 05-18-2021, 05:06 PM   #72
CanadianVetZL1

Drives: 2021 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
Tough to argue with ignorance. If you don't understand how they work, then no one will be able to convince you otherwise.
It’s not ignorance it’s watching the video. The evidence presented did a test with PVC and then without PVC noting a higher rate on the valves nearest the PVC inlet into the intake

They did no test with a oil catch can to see what if any difference it made to these deposits

I understand the theory however do they work and if so how well compared to a voided warranty?

Your blind faith belongs in church
Eibach Pro Lowering Kit
Oracle Side markers (Paint matched)
Rear window "wind screen"
Xpel Paint Protection
Ceramic Pro Coating
Old 05-18-2021, 05:22 PM   #73
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianVetZL1 View Post
It’s not ignorance it’s watching the video. The evidence presented did a test with PVC and then without PVC noting a higher rate on the valves nearest the PVC inlet into the intake

They did no test with a oil catch can to see what if any difference it made to these deposits

I understand the theory however do they work and if so how well compared to a voided warranty?

Your blind faith belongs in church
Your ignorance of the subject makes it difficult to discuss with you. Its like trying to explain how an airplane flies to a 6 year old.
Old 05-18-2021, 05:27 PM   #74
Camaro1973

Drives: 2019 ZL1
I just want to thank everyone for the entertainment for today

LME 377 LT4 Short Block | Magnuson 2650 80mm upper w/13% lower (9.06) | DSX Lid & Valve Covers | CSP Custom Cam w/32% fuel lobe | CID Heads | NW 103mm TB | Roto Fab Big Gulp | CSP 2" Headers w/Green GESI Gen 2 Cats | Borla 3" Full Cat Back w/ S-Type| Mighty Mouse Wild Catch Can| Custom Holley Low side Fuel system| TooHigh PSI Port Injection w/Holley Controller | Forced Inductions Interchiller w/2 gallon fender tank | TK Performance built 10L90
Old 05-18-2021, 05:30 PM   #75
CanadianVetZL1

Drives: 2021 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
Your ignorance of the subject makes it difficult to discuss with you. Its like trying to explain how an airplane flies to a 6 year old.
Well since we have come to base insults instead of facts and data

I understand what they propose to do, i see the discussions and people emptying a catch can after the vapor has been condensed back into a liquid form.

I watched the video that showed deposits with and without a PVC system and the measurements of the deposits, however they did not do one with a catch can do demonstrate how effective it is vs. having the PVC system vented to the environment which I assume would actually be the best thing for the engine.

Given that people are losing their warranty for this mod, the benefits must outweigh significant risk. That said if you are modding your engine up the warranty does not matter, and most seem to agree that if you add significantly more boost to the engine this mod should be done.

lift and thrust is how a plane flys by the way
Eibach Pro Lowering Kit
Oracle Side markers (Paint matched)
Rear window "wind screen"
Xpel Paint Protection
Ceramic Pro Coating
Old 05-18-2021, 05:47 PM   #76
Stealth7

Drives: Gen V Viper GTS
Stated differently, if catch cans were so mandatory, magical and delicious, then why don't performance forced induction cars come with them on an OEM basis from the factory? Why don't environmental agencies require catch cans on all vehicles? OEMs perform substantial R&D and engineering on all cars and especially on performance cars before they get the market. You can bet that a catch can will be a topic of conversation if there is an emissions or drivetrain related issue.

Now if you're building a race car which substantially exceeds OEM specifications then you may in fact need to take some extra steps in several areas, including oil blow – by.

Note: I have no doubt that many of the aftermarket products are high quality, effective products, but that is not really what is at issue.
Old 05-18-2021, 06:17 PM   #77
Camaro1973

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth7 View Post
Stated differently, if catch cans were so mandatory, magical and delicious, then why don't performance forced induction cars come with them on an OEM basis from the factory? Why don't environmental agencies require catch cans on all vehicles? OEMs perform substantial R&D and engineering on all cars and especially on performance cars before they get the market. You can bet that a catch can will be a topic of conversation if there is an emissions or drivetrain related issue.

Now if you're building a race car which substantially exceeds OEM specifications then you may in fact need to take some extra steps in several areas, including oil blow – by.

Note: I have no doubt that many of the aftermarket products are high quality, effective products, but that is not really what is at issue.

We've mentioned the reason about 100 times. Another person that doesnt read well.

It's because its another Maintenance item that no Manf wants to deal with customers about when they don't empty it and it starts pissing oil all over and starts to smoke or it overfills and spills everywhere, that's why.

LME 377 LT4 Short Block | Magnuson 2650 80mm upper w/13% lower (9.06) | DSX Lid & Valve Covers | CSP Custom Cam w/32% fuel lobe | CID Heads | NW 103mm TB | Roto Fab Big Gulp | CSP 2" Headers w/Green GESI Gen 2 Cats | Borla 3" Full Cat Back w/ S-Type| Mighty Mouse Wild Catch Can| Custom Holley Low side Fuel system| TooHigh PSI Port Injection w/Holley Controller | Forced Inductions Interchiller w/2 gallon fender tank | TK Performance built 10L90
Old 05-18-2021, 06:21 PM   #78
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro1973 View Post
We've mentioned the reason about 100 times. Another person that doesnt read well.

It's because its another Maintenance item that no Manf wants to deal with customers about when they don't empty it and it starts pissing oil all over and starts to smoke or it overfills and spills everywhere, that's why.
Glad to see some people still pay attention.
Old 05-18-2021, 06:23 PM   #79
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianVetZL1 View Post
Well since we have come to base insults instead of facts and data

I understand what they propose to do, i see the discussions and people emptying a catch can after the vapor has been condensed back into a liquid form.

I watched the video that showed deposits with and without a PVC system and the measurements of the deposits, however they did not do one with a catch can do demonstrate how effective it is vs. having the PVC system vented to the environment which I assume would actually be the best thing for the engine.

Given that people are losing their warranty for this mod, the benefits must outweigh significant risk. That said if you are modding your engine up the warranty does not matter, and most seem to agree that if you add significantly more boost to the engine this mod should be done.

lift and thrust is how a plane flys by the way
Several videos have already been provided, and there's numerous articles if you do a search on Google, you'll find plenty of evidence that catch cans have a purpose.
Old 05-18-2021, 06:23 PM   #80
ZX-10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth7 View Post
Stated differently, if catch cans were so mandatory, magical and delicious, then why don't performance forced induction cars come with them on an OEM basis from the factory?
10 minutes in - and the simple reason (as discussed previously, these debates tend to be circular) is they don't want an additional maintenance and liquid waste disposal issue to deal with that might be a potential liability

Last edited by ZX-10R; 05-18-2021 at 06:37 PM.
Old 05-18-2021, 06:25 PM   #81
Timbo-1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
I pulled my manifold off at 12k to swap to LT2 and it all was pretty clean... Is that because I live at WOT? I change my.lol every 2 track events which is overly anal I know...
Old 05-18-2021, 06:28 PM   #82
ZX-10R

Did you scope the valves?

The oil on top of the blower will puddle to some degree and then get sucked into the heads

This is an argument for a Hellcat I suppose - port injection washes off the valves
Old 05-18-2021, 07:02 PM   #83
Timbo-1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
I could see the valves, looked good to me, very minor discoloration, a few minor bumps...very small..
Old 05-18-2021, 07:14 PM   #84
LiqTenExp

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Time to close this one out?

You are all wrong, you don't need catch cans, stop messing around and install methanol injection. Fixes everything and you still get to spend money.

Closed Thread