Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-08-2019, 02:14 PM   #1
Delran

Drives: 2023 2SS 1LE Riverside Blue 6M
Ceramic Coating- Downpipe

So just began the modding journey for the 2.0.

What are peoples opinion on getting the downpipe coated? I bought ZZP's catted downpipe and wondering if I should send it out to someone like SwainTech and get it coated before I put it on

Thanks
Del
Delran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 04:28 PM   #2
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delran View Post

What are peoples opinion on getting the downpipe coated? I bought ZZP's catted downpipe and wondering if I should send it out to someone like SwainTech and get it coated before I put it on

Thanks
Del
Not sure if it's needed. Couldn't hurt but i'd get the welds reinforced wether they have improved the methods of welding or not that ceramic coating is going to hold more heat in then without it.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:38 AM   #3
whiskeyfed
Pat

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT I4 Turbo A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delran View Post

Thanks
Del
PREFACE: I have no experience with coating a downpipe.

I think this is a personal preference. It will keep the outside looking better than if you did not coat it. It doesn't really do anything for you other than allow you to potentially re-sell it a bit higher than "used" because of ceramic coating. This opinion is coming from having everything on the exterior of my car ceramic coated multiple times. I could see it helping with repelling heat maybe but I wouldn't hang your hat on it.

If you are looking for heat insulation, go with an Exhaust Wrap (I use PTP Turbo Blankets). I have that around my downpipe. I have not done a before and after for temp difference yet due to the fact that I want to get an after temp following their turbo blanket install. I did kind of a shit job on the wrap so I don't really expect it to do very much, but that would be the best route to go if you are in fact looking for heat insulation.

Subscribe on YouTube Whiskeyfed Camaro

Follow my Build Thread The WhiskeyFed Camaro

Current Modifications: JacFab Boost-O-Lator, Injen Evolution CAI, ZZP Catless Downpipe, RPM 3" Charge Pipe, Mishimoto Oil Filtration/Coolant Systems, R1 Concepts Brakes Package, Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Springs, PTP Lava Exhaust Wrap & Turbo Blanket

DYNO SHEET: 297whp / 374wtq
Tuned by #danytechtuning
whiskeyfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:03 AM   #4
geoffchad

Drives: 2013 ATS M6, 95 Z28 Conv M6 turbo
I got the piston tops on my Camaro (95 LT1) coated by swaine when I got the motor built up along with the turbo hot side piping, this was back in.... 2003? 2004? Still looks great except for where my greasy finger prints have left stains on it.

I don't have direct experience comparing my before and after, but similar kits built up by the same fabricator using bare steel, coated and wrapped were anecdotally compared with heat guns during dyno runs (this was years ago on camaroz28) showing that heat wraps are still the best for keeping heat in but swaine's stuff isn't THAT far behind. Add in that the wrap only lasts a few years but many have seen swaine's white lightning stand up perfectly to years of track use, and add in that wrap will hold oil and catch fire if something bursts but the coatings don't.

I also have a ZZP catted downpipe I was considering sending to Swaine before I install it this summer (Swaine is in WNY so they're local to me) but one of the concerns of coating the outside of a cat is you mess with the heat transfer for thermal dissipation and can cause the catalyst inside to overheat. We really need to get the spec from ZZP on whether or not it can be wrapped/coated without melting the guts, as I have learned from experience.
geoffchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 10:48 AM   #5
SomeoneWhoIsntMe

Drives: '13 ATS
Prolly coating the exhaust manifold to keep energy in the exhaust until it gets to the turbine would be a better way to spend your money if you're looking to coat something.
SomeoneWhoIsntMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 12:45 PM   #6
Delran

Drives: 2023 2SS 1LE Riverside Blue 6M
Thanks for the reply guys! I'll prob just put it on then and look for other ways to increase the efficiency and keep engine bay temps down
Delran is offline   Reply With Quote