Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 04-05-2019, 10:47 AM   #1
Austin_504

Drives: 2016 Camaro RS 2.0t
Next Mod?

Hey guys, looking at getting my next mod and I can't decide between the Boostolator or a catless downpipe.
Which one will give me more hp? I also don't care about emissions because I live in Louisiana.
Current mods are as follows: Ingen Evo7300, ZZP Throttle Body, and Mishimoto Cat-Back. Appreciate any recommendations.
Old 04-05-2019, 10:52 AM   #2
DarkFangz1100

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Downpipe doesn't require a tune boost does if I remember correctly
Old 04-05-2019, 10:57 AM   #3
Austin_504

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFangz1100 View Post
Downpipe doesn't require a tune boost does if I remember correctly
I'm getting a check engine light either way. Catless or Boostolator.
Old 04-05-2019, 11:51 AM   #4
DarkFangz1100

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
I'm not an expert on the boost o later...but I recall seeing something along the lines of you need to tune the car to accommodate the new piece on the turbo it's not just a CEL you'll be getting
Old 04-05-2019, 12:06 PM   #5
6th_gen_gino

Drives: 2016 camaro 2.0t gray
I'd get the Down pipe first. This mod nets the most power gained. Are you going to be tuning soon?
6th_gen_gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 12:11 PM   #6
Zzsteve

Drives: 2018 2SS
i would definitely do a DP first.
Zzsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 01:30 PM   #7
Start The Machine

Drives: 2016 M6 2.0T
The boost a lator does not need a "tune". Just a software programmer to disable code P2261. Also, the boost a lator as its so affectionately called, or what its actually called, a recirculation valve, yields way more noticeable gains than a downpipe.

*Code P2261 doesn't hurt the car in any way when the CEL is triggered from it. It's just annoying you have a CEL on your dashboard.
RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, Ikon Motorsports Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance
Start The Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 02:31 PM   #8
geoffchad

Drives: 2013 ATS M6, 95 Z28 Conv M6 turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Start The Machine View Post
a recirculation valve, yields way more noticeable gains than a downpipe.
I would caveat and say "with no other major changes or a tune"

Like once a tune and/or other major mods come into play like E85 then that changes things.
geoffchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 02:50 PM   #9
Austin_504

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6th_gen_gino View Post
I'd get the Down pipe first. This mod nets the most power gained. Are you going to be tuning soon?
Not until at least this upcoming fall.
Old 04-05-2019, 02:53 PM   #10
Austin_504

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffchad View Post
I would caveat and say "with no other major changes or a tune"

Like once a tune and/or other major mods come into play like E85 then that changes things.
I don't have E85, "major mods", or even a tune.
Old 04-06-2019, 12:47 AM   #11
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Start The Machine View Post
Yes, that is correct. Bone stock, the only noticeable gains will only come from a Downpipe, Aftermarket Recirculation Valve and a larger 67mm Throttle Body. The gains are very slight and only in the mid-range with the way the stock ECU is programmed. It's programmed to shut the party down when it notices hp and tq gains. The bottom line is, you have to tune your car.
Downpipe will get some power. The recirculation valve only allows a better boost consistency but can cause problems with overboost if not tuned for properly. The throttle body makes oh so very little difference in a tuned car. 72mm back to stock 59mm TB did absolutely nothing to hurt the power numbers. You are right though the stock ECU is a major restriction and the only way to get the most reliable power is to tune.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 01:28 PM   #12
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
The recirculation valve only allows a better boost consistency but can cause problems with overboost if not tuned for properly. T
Once again, Kevin to the rescue with in correct, or missing information.

The missing piece of info here is IF YOU ALREADY HAVE A TUNE, adding the performance recalculation valve can only POTENTIALLY result in undesired overboosting if you already have a tune. It's not an issue if you are on the stock tune. If you ALREADY HAVE a tune and add the performance recirculation valve, it is recommended to do some logging to see where your boost is at. Due to the many different ways to tune this engine, and everyone seems to do it different, your boost may be higher than desired after adding the valve with a tune. For instance, one customer noticed a 4 psi increase above his desired boost level. He adjusted the tune to compensate, and done deal. It will vary from tune to tune based on tuner.

It will not overboost dangerously on a stock tune. You may see up around a 1psi increase, but that is fine.

The valve can be run on a stock tune, and the only reason we recommended a tune, or called it the "tune version" is because it will throw a check engine light due to seeing more boost when the computer isn't expecting it. On a stock tune you can either live with the check engine light on all the time, or clear it when it pops up. The frequency of how often the cel comes on is determined by how you drive the car. I personally get the cel about once every 3-6 weeks of daily driving, 50miles round trip per day.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 10:22 PM   #13
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Drives: 18 Flex Fuel LTG
IDK.....I think I did pretty well with my only bolt on, the BOL.
Attached Images

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 11:08 PM   #14
Start The Machine

Drives: 2016 M6 2.0T
The aftermarket JacFab/BNR Recirculation Valve should be everyone's 1st mod.
RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, Ikon Motorsports Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance
Start The Machine is offline   Reply With Quote