Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 04-04-2019, 06:32 PM   #15
oneplustwo

Drives: 2018 Torch Red SS 1LE with Whipple
Another thought is meth/water injection and/or the a/c boost freeze chiller system that weapon x has. I guess they both really only address intake air temps whereas the triple x heat exchanger addresses coolant temps. They’re related I suppose though.
oneplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 08:23 PM   #16
Chris V

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneplustwo View Post
Another thought is meth/water injection and/or the a/c boost freeze chiller system that weapon x has. I guess they both really only address intake air temps whereas the triple x heat exchanger addresses coolant temps. They’re related I suppose though.
I want to look into the freeze chillers more to get rid of excess fluid. I have 3 gallons in the AWIC, plus a tank and an inter cooler. If the inter chiller and meth could take some of that weight away, it’d be outstanding.

I don’t know if it can run at 100% duty cycle though. I’m waiting to see who plays with it on track first.

2017 1SS 1LE - 663 whp/623 wtq
Rotofab/Whipple/Kooks 2"/LT5 TB/LT4 Fueling/E85/MCS Coilovers/Ground Control/GOODAero/Apex Wheels/Race Louvers
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 11:11 PM   #17
oneplustwo

Meth seems like kind of a pain although it also adds power via fuel supplement. I don't really want yet even more power though. Priority is to make it reliable and easy. The chiller seems like a good idea for IAT. And the triple X heat exchanger for coolant temps. Maybe an oil cooler too although I haven't heard oil temps get terribly high. I'm tempted to try just the heat exchangers for now since I need to take the front fascia off for the super charger anyway. Then add the boost freeze if things don't look good. And then the oil cooler last if necessary.

Does redline water wetter or other specific coolant tricks work?
Old 04-05-2019, 05:30 AM   #18
Chris V

I would prioritize the oil cooler. My oil temps got really high on track with the Whipple/Whipple calibration/stock otherwise. It got up to about 290.

I’d do that ahead of upgrading the radiators.

Rotofab/Whipple/Kooks 2"/LT5 TB/LT4 Fueling/E85/MCS Coilovers/Ground Control/GOODAero/Apex Wheels/Race Louvers
Old 04-05-2019, 06:12 AM   #19
oneplustwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris V View Post
I would prioritize the oil cooler. My oil temps got really high on track with the Whipple/Whipple calibration/stock otherwise. It got up to about 290.

I’d do that ahead of upgrading the radiators.
Oh that’s good to know. Where were the temps after the mishimoto? Curious to know if that’s good enough vs trying to do something custom.
Old 04-05-2019, 06:37 AM   #20
oneplustwo

Quote:
Oh that’s good to know. Where were the temps after the mishimoto? Curious to know if that’s good enough vs trying to do something custom.
Edit: sorry re-reading your post and saw your numbers on the cooler day.

Do you think cooking your cats was based on the tune primarily? Was it running rich so it could have more timing before knock? I wonder if a tuner could tune for reliability vs power. I’d happily give up some hp for cooler temps and less risk of breaking stuff.
Old 04-05-2019, 08:57 AM   #21
Chris V

Quote:
Edit: sorry re-reading your post and saw your numbers on the cooler day.

Do you think cooking your cats was based on the tune primarily? Was it running rich so it could have more timing before knock? I wonder if a tuner could tune for reliability vs power. I’d happily give up some hp for cooler temps and less risk of breaking stuff.
I think the tune is really the primary factor, if I were doing it again I would use the Whipple tune just to go to a real tuner. It had too much tip-in and wasn't safe for the cats. A real tuner can do better for your car than a no-data-logging-remote-tune.

My oil temps look more like ZL1 temps now, which is that they get to 270 and stay around there. That's a perfectly sustainable temp for oil on track.

Old 04-06-2019, 07:05 AM   #22
Calubi

Any noticeable changes in handling due to the extra weight up front?
Old 04-06-2019, 05:18 PM   #23
oneplustwo

I found out that the weapon X triple X heat exchangers are not compatible with the SS 1LE. But I did find these from mishimoto.

https://www.mishimoto.com/chevy-cama...tors-2016.html

They claim 8 degrees cooler vs stock. That's not a ton, but better than nothing I suppose. And they're not nearly as much money of course. So I might try starting with these and the oil cooler first and see how it goes.

I also found this one from C&R: https://www.crracing.com/product/che...l-transmission

It's $1200 though... and it's not clear how it might fit or not with the whipple stuff. So I'll hold off on that one for now!
Old 04-07-2019, 10:38 AM   #24
oneplustwo

ChrisV - Do you think you’ll end up cooking your cats again or will the changes you’ve made prevent that from happening again? My local tuner is strongly advising against FI for road track use as he believes I’ll keep cooking cats. Even with a custom tune.
Old 04-07-2019, 11:45 AM   #25
Chris V

Quote:
ChrisV - Do you think you’ll end up cooking your cats again or will the changes you’ve made prevent that from happening again? My local tuner is strongly advising against FI for road track use as he believes I’ll keep cooking cats. Even with a custom tune.
I have both green cats and catless, but I’m going to stick to catless on track. The green cats should be able to handle it, but why chance it? For autocross/drag racing where you’re not doing 20 minutes at a time, cats should be fine.

Old 04-07-2019, 01:57 PM   #26
oneplustwo

Yah. I’d like to stay catted since it’s my DD and dealing with smog in CA is a pain too. I’ve never heard of green cats so maybe I’ll check those out. Or I may just abandon the FI route entirely. Save the money for a used C8 Z06 when they come down in price a bit!
Old 04-09-2019, 10:14 AM   #27
oneplustwo

Quick update. Still going back and forth. My tuner is pushing to stay NA. Whipple and the seller are less concerned about breaking stuff. Stories of burnt cats and broken pistons notwithstanding, I'm also looking at doing a powertrain warranty to make me feel better about it at minimum.
Old 04-09-2019, 11:50 AM   #28
Chris V

Quote:
Quick update. Still going back and forth. My tuner is pushing to stay NA. Whipple and the seller are less concerned about breaking stuff. Stories of burnt cats and broken pistons notwithstanding, I'm also looking at doing a powertrain warranty to make me feel better about it at minimum.
An NA build is a better choice for a track car, I just always wanted to build a bonkers car and this was a good opportunity. A full-tilt NA build will be a lot lighter, simpler, and run cooler. It won't make the same power, and it'll cost nearly as much.

I don't know that you're going to find a powertrain warranty on a built motor though.