Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-01-2017, 01:45 PM   #1
sub_ETCS_ret

Drives: 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
A8 Issue TSB 16-NA-175 2017 2SS

My Symptoms: Shudder at constant speed going up slight inclines or lower speeds going up inclines.

TSB Symptoms: 1. A shake and/or shudder during light throttle acceleration between 25 and 80 mph (40 and 128 km/h) steady state driving when transmission is not actively shifting gears.
2. A shudder feeling that may be described as driving over rumble strips or rough pavement.

Link to the TSB on the corvette site. Other TSBs are for '16 Camaros but this one applies to '17. Hopefully this helps someone else. I've also converted it to a PDF and attached it to this post.

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...tate-1324.html

I had been feeling a shudder when going up inclines at a steady speed (50 - 65 mph) and had addressed it with the dealer twice. Each time they told me something different. The first time it was because I drive around in sport mode and the second time they told me my engine was lugging and that it was the V4 to V8 AFM that I was feeling.

On the third time I lost my mind on the tech and the service manager. I've been working on cars since I was 14. I've owned multiple Firebirds and Trans Ams and most recently a '15 Challenger. I told them that there is an issue with the torque converter and stop feeding me a line of BS, dig into it, and actually spend some time troubleshooting.

Prior to this appointment I had done a bunch of searching and that's when I found the subject TSB. It described my issue exactly. I gave them the TSB and what do you know, I have an issue with my torque converter.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 16-NA-175.pdf (228.8 KB, 4234 views)
"Submariners are a bunch of intelligent misfits that somehow seem to get along, understand each other and work well together." - overheard from a surface officer explaining to another sailor about Submariners

Last edited by sub_ETCS_ret; 08-04-2017 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Added PDF and updated verbiage in post.
sub_ETCS_ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 02:27 PM   #2
bdavies11

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I had this issue. Took it up to the dealer and had one of their guys ride along with me and reproduced it for him. They flushed the transmission fluids three times (driving for 10 miles between each flush) and the car has been perfect ever since. I was told if it started to happen again they would get a me a new torque converter no questions asked.
bdavies11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 02:34 PM   #3
sub_ETCS_ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavies11 View Post
I had this issue. Took it up to the dealer and had one of their guys ride along with me and reproduced it for him. They flushed the transmission fluids three times (driving for 10 miles between each flush) and the car has been perfect ever since. I was told if it started to happen again they would get a me a new torque converter no questions asked.
Part of my issue was that they were only looking at this as a 2016 or older issue. Most of the TSBs reference 2016 Camaros and this one was updated for the 2017s. Mine is a 2017 and IMHO they didn't want to make an effort.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
"Submariners are a bunch of intelligent misfits that somehow seem to get along, understand each other and work well together." - overheard from a surface officer explaining to another sailor about Submariners
Old 08-01-2017, 06:25 PM   #4
Michael's 50th

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 50th
Sorry to hear that Neighbor. Hope all turns out well
Michael's 50th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:30 PM   #5
sub_ETCS_ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael's 50th View Post
Sorry to hear that Neighbor. Hope all turns out well
Thanks! Looks like they're going to have it for a while. The Dexron ATF is on back order and GM says it's not supposed to be driven until it's fixed so they are keeping it.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:08 PM   #6
Michael's 50th

Who's got it ? Haselwood ?
Old 08-01-2017, 07:09 PM   #7
sub_ETCS_ret

Grey

Old 08-01-2017, 07:17 PM   #8
Michael's 50th

Dam ! summer time too. Well I'm sure eventually Chevrolet will iron out the issues with that automatic trans.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:19 PM   #9
sub_ETCS_ret

I hope so. I was hoping the '17s wouldn't be affected by the A8 bug but apparently they are.
Really frustrated that I had to lose my cool with them to fix the issue.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:20 PM   #10
Michael's 50th

I ran into another guy at a car show and he had the same issues, he said they did the trans fluid flush a few times and it cured it. I'm just not completely sold on that yet.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:23 PM   #11
Michael's 50th

Well with the money we pay for these cars it's perfectly normal to lose your cool ! Don't blame you one bit but I understand
Old 08-01-2017, 07:23 PM   #12
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Sorry to hear that you had to go through so much frustration to get this fixed but Thanks for the post! I have felt the "rough road" problem several times with my car running on smooth highway. I wasn't sure what was causing it and it hasn't been consistent enough to take it to a dealer. I guess I will see about getting into the dealer to have it checked now that there is a TSB and documented way to test for the problem.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:23 PM   #13
sub_ETCS_ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael's 50th View Post
I ran into another guy at a car show and he had the same issues, he said they did the trans fluid flush a few times and it cured it. I'm just not completely sold on that yet.
That's what I'm hoping for but I'm not sold either. If they told me one more time that everything was fine, I was going to run that transmission through the mill. I'm trading it in next year on a Hellcat anyway.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:25 PM   #14
sub_ETCS_ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark114 View Post
Sorry to hear that you had to go through so much frustration to get this fixed but Thanks for the post! I have felt the "rough road" problem several times with my car running on smooth highway. I wasn't sure what was causing it and it hasn't been consistent enough to take it to a dealer. I guess I will see about getting into the dealer to have it checked now that there is a TSB and documented way to test for the problem.
Good luck! That TSB will find the problem if it's similar to the symptoms documented.