Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 01-16-2017, 07:11 PM   #15
ChicagoTommy

Drives: 2017 Camaro; 2017 Acadia Denali
The reason the car won't restart is due to the Check Engine light. You cannot remote start if there is a code triggering the Check Engine light. It started the first time because the code had not been triggered. The code must have set during the first 4 minutes while it was running. Only way to start the car in this situation is to manually start it by the button on the dash. It is a failsafe feature. GM doesn't want the car running for 20 minutes unattended with the check engine light on. That amount of time can mean the difference between a cheap repair or a new engine!

As far as gas getting into the oil.... Sounds funny to me, but I'm not there looking at your car. The obvious first step would be for them to data log fuel trims and 02 sensor readings during cold start, but that would actually require them to do their job. Good luck with that.
ChicagoTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 02:54 AM   #16
Tankman

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT 2.0 Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTommy View Post
The reason the car won't restart is due to the Check Engine light. You cannot remote start if there is a code triggering the Check Engine light. It started the first time because the code had not been triggered. The code must have set during the first 4 minutes while it was running. Only way to start the car in this situation is to manually start it by the button on the dash. It is a failsafe feature. GM doesn't want the car running for 20 minutes unattended with the check engine light on. That amount of time can mean the difference between a cheap repair or a new engine!

As far as gas getting into the oil.... Sounds funny to me, but I'm not there looking at your car. The obvious first step would be for them to data log fuel trims and 02 sensor readings during cold start, but that would actually require them to do their job. Good luck with that.
Thanks for that explanation, makes total sense.
They looked at the car today, no codes no problems. If nothing else I got a free oil change at about 2200 miles..........Just wait for the next big drop in temp and see if it happens again.
Cheers
TM
Tankman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 02:38 PM   #17
ymmbob

Drives: 2016 ATS 2.0T
Came across this thread from Google, while i don't have a camaro i do have an ats with what i believe is the same 2.0T engine.

Interestingly I am also in Alberta and after the last cold spell i had the check engline light come on and it was throwing a p0172 code.

I also checked the oil and noticed it was above max and smelled of gas. I got the oil changed and cleared the code. Approx 3 weeks later the CEL returned, same code, che led the oil and it was above max and smelled of gasoline. This time I was 110% sure it wasn't overfilled.

I took it to the dealer last thursday, the service advisor isn't giving up much info- he even denies there is gas in the oil. They do have a new high pressure fuel pump on order.

I'll update further when I actually go to pick it up as the dealer is approx 5 hours away.

At this point I wonder if it is due to the very cold winter we've been having.. but just wanted to let you know, for me, at least, the problem did return after a few weeks from changing the oil.
ymmbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 04:43 PM   #18
ChicagoTommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymmbob View Post
Came across this thread from Google, while i don't have a camaro i do have an ats with what i believe is the same 2.0T engine.

Interestingly I am also in Alberta and after the last cold spell i had the check engline light come on and it was throwing a p0172 code.

I also checked the oil and noticed it was above max and smelled of gas. I got the oil changed and cleared the code. Approx 3 weeks later the CEL returned, same code, che led the oil and it was above max and smelled of gasoline. This time I was 110% sure it wasn't overfilled.

I took it to the dealer last thursday, the service advisor isn't giving up much info- he even denies there is gas in the oil. They do have a new high pressure fuel pump on order.

I'll update further when I actually go to pick it up as the dealer is approx 5 hours away.

At this point I wonder if it is due to the very cold winter we've been having.. but just wanted to let you know, for me, at least, the problem did return after a few weeks from changing the oil.
Geez, 5 hours from the nearest dealer is rough. I would encourage you to post this on cadillacforums.com as well. There is quite an active community there, and a much deeper technical knowledge base. Please keep us updated. If the HPFP is failing, I really want to know. I don't want to deal with the same BS issues I had with my 2008 BMW 335i. This would be one of the first GM 2.0t HPFP's I've heard of failing.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:23 PM   #19
Carscoe

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Thought I'd add to this post. Had this CEL come on a couple days ago on my 2016 2.0t. Goes into dealership on Friday to see what's going on. Will update once they take a look.
Carscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 11:28 AM   #20
ymmbob

When i took mine to the dealer they replaced the high pressure fuel pump, and changed the oil. A couple of weeks later (today) CEL is back. Same code.

Please let me know how yours goes, and i'll do the same when i get it in next weekend.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:04 PM   #21
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Anyone notice how all these issues are transpiring in Canada

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 04:26 PM   #22
Tankman

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT 2.0 Turbo
Our 2 Camaro's have not experienced this since! But winter 'ain't over yet!
Tankman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 09:19 AM   #23
ymmbob

As of now my best guess is idling the car in extreme cold causing the oil to become diluted with fuel. It lines up with everyone here being from Canada.. and the initial remote start question. Myself, I am guilty of idling it for 18 mins every morning in -40.

This time around I just got the oil changed and the CEL went out by itself. I won't idle it anymore and see if that makes a difference. I just ordered a new code reader that supports live data so I can keep an eye on fuel trims and get a better idea of when it's actually running rich and by how much. According to the service log, it was running at -8% live and on the freeze frame when the CEL lit it was at -30%.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:16 AM   #24
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

That's a good theory but I've done this not in -40 yet mind you but a few times in -10 maybe -15 with wind chill factored in.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Old 12-17-2017, 08:44 PM   #25
Daily Camaro

Drives: 2017 hyper blue 2.0T manual
Has anyone had success diagnosing this issue yet? just had this engine code pop up when i was driving on the highway the other day, and would like to know what has/ hasnt worked.
Daily Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 10:32 PM   #26
ChicagoTommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daily Camaro View Post
Has anyone had success diagnosing this issue yet? just had this engine code pop up when i was driving on the highway the other day, and would like to know what has/ hasnt worked.
Geez... Another Canadian Camaro with the same issue. Hopefully your fellow countryman return to update their situations or possible resolutions! I'm starting to think there might be a difference in the Canadian fuel. Maybe a different additive that we don't use down here in Freedomland.
to invalidate anyone's personal views or thoughts, nor is it a condemnation of anyone's
race, religion, sex, sexual preferences, handicaps, or intellectual abilities.
Old 12-17-2017, 10:35 PM   #27
ChicagoTommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
That's a good theory but I've done this not in -40 yet mind you but a few times in -10 maybe -15 with wind chill factored in.
Wind chill has no effect on your car. All wind chill means is how the cold air *feels* to a person! So if it's -10, and -20 with wind chill, your car only knows it's -10, because it doesn't have *feelings*...
to invalidate anyone's personal views or thoughts, nor is it a condemnation of anyone's
race, religion, sex, sexual preferences, handicaps, or intellectual abilities.
Old 12-17-2017, 10:43 PM   #28
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTommy View Post
Wind chill has no effect on your car. All wind chill means is how the cold air *feels* to a person! So if it's -10, and -20 with wind chill, your car only knows it's -10, because it doesn't have *feelings*...
Gotcha you must spy on me using google earth to know my car doesn't have feelings. I think this issue is something in canada not the camaros themselves i mean chicago gets damn cold as well with that lake effect. Worse I've had is a -24 morning last year where it took a little to turnover but did start the first try.