Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-01-2016, 01:15 PM   #1
toro1966

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Convertible 50th
2017 2SS Convertible noises, rattles, and issues.

Hey guys, figured I would edit this post to discuss all of the noises with my 2SS Convertible. Just so I am clear, I love the car! But I am very retentive and I hate noises that shouldn't be there lol. To top it off, I have pretty good hearing and I can't just unhear it . Posting them hear in case others have similar issues and/or have found solutions.

1 - I have a decent wind noise/leak right next to the drivers ear. It appears to be coming from where the two windows meet but I can't be sure. The noise is definitely there and it's NOT normal road noise. It's not there on the passenger side either

I thought it might be the quarter window seal but it seems to be closing nicely and although I can hear the wind, I can't necessarily feel it. It is difficult to try and diagnose while driving. It's easily noticeable at any speed above 40 but does increase with speed (highway)

2 - I have a really consistent creaking that I initially thought was coming from the front A pillar. It turns out it's the Convertible top creaking right where the top closes. If I pul down on the frame there, or put a little upward pressure on it, the creaking stops. Can these magnetic latches be adjusted or tightened? Think it might need to pull down a little more.

3 - I have a rattle/chirp coming from behind my ear when I go over bumpy roads or uneven pavement. Hard to isolate while driving, but sounds like it might be coming from where the Convertible top mounts/arms go into the body, underneath the retractable covers. I have actually heard this coming from both sides. Anyone have a similar noise?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by toro1966; 12-03-2016 at 06:55 PM.
toro1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 07:49 PM   #2
AndyL

Drives: 2017 50th SS Convertible
I have it too. Driver side, in about the same area you describe. It's just enough to notice and is more pronounced at highway speeds, maybe 60mph and up.

I've contemplated taking it in but I'm afraid they'll mess it up even more. Little things like this annoy me. Sucks spending all that $ on an awesome ride, only to have this little air leak detract from it.
AndyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 08:00 PM   #3
toro1966

I know exactly what you mean. Mine starts at around 40 minor and then gets fairly loud at highway speeds. I have the same fear of taking it to the dealer. Might just live with it for a bit. Hoping someone who had had something like this fixed can chime in so I can get an idea of what it is.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:10 PM   #4
AndyL

Drives: 2017 50th SS Convertible
On a positive note, it's a non issue with the top down. Like you, I'll probably deal with it for now.
AndyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 08:33 PM   #5
toro1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
On a positive note, it's a non issue with the top down. Like you, I'll probably deal with it for now.
Lol. I like how you think!
Old 09-05-2017, 03:23 PM   #6
1CEBITN

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Vert w/2SS
Just bought my 2017 vert and the dealer is looking at it right now for the exact same thing as the OP. Sounds like the window is cracked and air is rushing in but I don't feel any and it is right next to my ear so pretty annoying. If they figure it out I'll post up what they did but my guess is its a seal not seating properly in the groove on the top.
1CEBITN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 04:27 PM   #7
somedude

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT Convertible Auto V6
Had the wind noise since new but I figured that it's normal because it's a convertible and is almost silent compared to older convertible cars I have been in, I was actually impressed on how quiet the car is on the freeway so the noise was not an issue for me. But now that I know this is not normal it will bug me, and I was so happy, thanks a lot guys! lol!

I actually expected more noise but I really wanted a convertible, with my budget I could have got a basic SS hard top or an RS convertible and I do not regret my purchase, love driving with no roof!
somedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:24 PM   #8
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by toro1966 View Post
Hey guys, figured I would edit this post to discuss all of the noises with my 2SS Convertible. Just so I am clear, I love the car! But I am very retentive and I hate noises that shouldn't be there lol. To top it off, I have pretty good hearing and I can't just unhear it . Posting them hear in case others have similar issues and/or have found solutions.

1 - I have a decent wind noise/leak right next to the drivers ear. It appears to be coming from where the two windows meet but I can't be sure. The noise is definitely there and it's NOT normal road noise. It's not there on the passenger side either

I thought it might be the quarter window seal but it seems to be closing nicely and although I can hear the wind, I can't necessarily feel it. It is difficult to try and diagnose while driving. It's easily noticeable at any speed above 40 but does increase with speed (highway)

2 - I have a really consistent creaking that I initially thought was coming from the front A pillar. It turns out it's the Convertible top creaking right where the top closes. If I pul down on the frame there, or put a little upward pressure on it, the creaking stops. Can these magnetic latches be adjusted or tightened? Think it might need to pull down a little more.

3 - I have a rattle/chirp coming from behind my ear when I go over bumpy roads or uneven pavement. Hard to isolate while driving, but sounds like it might be coming from where the Convertible top mounts/arms go into the body, underneath the retractable covers. I have actually heard this coming from both sides. Anyone have a similar noise?

Thanks in advance!
#1 Same here
#2 Not an issue
#3 Same here (going to remove the foam insert in the trunk to eliminate this as a potential cause)
#4 When the top is up, I can hear a metal on metal clank from the back when hitting abrupt bumps. The top feels tight, so maybe a loose sway bar or end link. Curiously, it's worse when the temperature dips outside and get's better when the interior warms up.
#5 When the top is being exercized to the closed position, the rollers for the tops movable plastic partitions creak and vibrate a bit, more when it's very warm outside.

I'm going to end up being a passenger in the backseat as to track down some of the unknown sounds.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:33 PM   #9
DECEPTICON6551

Drives: 2017 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by toro1966 View Post

Thanks in advance!
1 - same here, it's looking like that's normal...
2 - mine is worst in the morning when it's cold & seems to go away later in the day. I suspect a small amount of condensation along with the metal and plastic cooling overnight at different rates are to blame.
3 - no rattles or chirps that I've noticed, but I do get a lot of brake noise for a 3,000 mile car.
DECEPTICON6551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:46 PM   #10
wintertopdown

Drives: 22 Convertible V8 LT1
Hello, I have a issue with my top too. Where it meets the windshield, there is a lot of creeks and cracks while driving. If I hold my hand on the large plastic area in front of the rear view mirror and push up, it dissapears. What needs to be tightened to stop this madness. Very annoying if I drive without the radio on!
wintertopdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 05:54 PM   #11
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
If the rubber is squeaking, try some of this...
https://www.amazon.com/3M-08946-Clea.../dp/B005RNEH5O
or this:
https://www.amazon.com/Chemours-D124.../dp/B073Y4557Y
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 07:59 AM   #12
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
Same issue with the wind noise not worth taking it in to have the dealership crew up my car. I rarely drive my car and when I do it's with the top down.

The other items I do not have or never noticed it since mine I drive maybe 10 times a year.