Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Phastek Performance

Old 04-24-2019, 08:03 PM   #1
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Motor Trend comparison: 2019 Camaro SS vs. Mustang GT PP convertibles

Looks like there's a comparison test underway based on Christian Seabaugh's Instagram. He's been knocking on the '19 front end in multiple posts. It'll be interesting to see how they do - I don't think we've actually seen a head to head test on the 2019s. I'm assuming they got an A10 for both, but not sure.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:31 AM   #2
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:37 AM   #3
vtirocz

The article is now posted: https://www.motortrend.com/cars/ford...mparison-test/

Old 05-28-2019, 08:03 AM   #4
RideWithDanger

Drives: 23 2SS 1LE
And this is line I think everybody here wanted to take home from this:

"Thirty seconds of hard driving is all it takes to realize the Camaro is the superior sports car,"

Radiant Red 23' 2SS 1LE
1100: 11/14/22 | BUILT: 3/16/23
2000: 2/17/23 | 4200: 5/8/23
3000: 2/27/23 | 5000/6000: 5/15/23

Black on black 2019 3LT RS Camaro.
1100: 3/7/19 | 4200: 4/15/19
3100: 3/15/19 | 4800: 4/23/19
3400: 3/22/19 | 5000: 4/25/19
Built: 4/8/19 | Home: 4/26/19
RideWithDanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:56 AM   #5
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideWithDanger View Post
And this is line I think everybody here wanted to take home from this:

"Thirty seconds of hard driving is all it takes to realize the Camaro is the superior sports car,"
I thought it was this line actually

"But the Camaro SS' new front end looks like it was designed for a part in a Transformers movie; it's somehow both distinctive and derivative (both in all the wrong ways) at the same time. Thankfully we only have to look at this schnoz for another couple months—Chevy announced a face-lift for 2020 soon after testing completed. Rhinoplasty 2.0, as it were."

They had some really good zingers on both cars, had quite the chuckle reading that test.

There was a line about the mustang something about no wonder they end up in the crowd at cars in coffee.

Article pretty much sums up what every article about these two cars has been since the 6th gens came out. Camaro is better performer, Mustang is the better daily driver
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 01:35 PM   #6
Hops

Drives: 2019 1ss 1le, blue wrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
I thought it was this line actually

"But the Camaro SS' new front end looks like it was designed for a part in a Transformers movie; it's somehow both distinctive and derivative (both in all the wrong ways) at the same time. Thankfully we only have to look at this schnoz for another couple months—Chevy announced a face-lift for 2020 soon after testing completed. Rhinoplasty 2.0, as it were."

LOL "looks like" it literally is. Just image google: "last knight camaro". And it's awesome... that's why i ordered one!
Hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 01:58 PM   #7
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Having read the article, it seems like the only thing the Mustang won was the interior stuff and the trunk space.... I don't really call that a win when I want a sports car convertible...
Old 05-28-2019, 03:01 PM   #8
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 View Post
Having read the article, it seems like the only thing the Mustang won was the interior stuff and the trunk space.... I don't really call that a win when I want a sports car convertible...
It won the convertible comparison test because they thought it was a better convertible.

"if outright performance were the endgame, you've read the wrong article, friend: Either coupe is a far better driver."

"The Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible is the better driver on our favorite back roads and at the track, but the Ford Mustang GT is the far better convertible"

Seems like the whole point was overall which one is a better convertible
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 03:27 PM   #9
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
the Mustang fights and bucks when pushed hard. It understeers into the corner and then suddenly snaps into oversteer on corner exit. "It's no wonder that it's always a Mustang that ends up in a crowd outside Cars and Coffee,"
^^^This seems to be a reoccurring theme in GT reviews. Coupe or convertible.

Recall this from the 2018 PP1 review
Quote:
I had high hopes the combination of the 2018 refresh, the new Performance Pack giddies, and MagneRide would fix things. Nope. The car rolls over on itself and seems to not only understeer but also to try and oversteer at the same time. Like the front and back aren’t actually connected.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mot...omparison/amp/
or the PP2
Quote:
The Mustang's twitchy entry attitude and its pesky stability control system were no match for the composure and confidence supplied by the Camaro SS 1LE—even on a street tire. Can you imagine what the Camaro would do on a Pilot Sport Cup 2?

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 03:38 PM   #10
lt1j
2018 605 RWHP 6 speed 1SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS
It's sad how ugly the 19+ Camaro's are I was laughing so hard when I saw the Mustang refresh. After I saw the Camaro refresh I started hiding my head in the sand.
lt1j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 04:19 PM   #11
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Topless Titans?! Ummmm no.

The article's catch phrase is Topless Titans?! Seabaugh blew it in this article. His Ford bias shows too much.

Seabaugh calls the LT1 "lazy" yet omits that torque is comparitively absent from the 5.0 at the same RPMs ... Video says the GT is easier to launch than the SS. Gee I wonder why? Maybe because of the 5.0 GT's torque deficiency.

I don't buy the "Convertible A is better than convertible B because the trunk is bigger and the interior is roomier" argument. If I cared about hauling luggage or people or interior space or storage, I'd buy an SUV or a minivan. I bought my car for fun.

The article fluffs the GT by referring to GT350 handmedowns twice, but has no mention at all that the GT is Ford's top convertible offering. It also fails to mention that there's a whole 'nuther world out here with the ZL1 vert. "But Gunkk, then the article wouldn't be a fair comparison!" you say. Well then don't call it a Titan if it ain't one.

Laying the hammer down in a 650hp drop top is a completely different driving experience. Ford doesn't have anything that can even remotely compare.

There's only one Titan in the room.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 05:55 PM   #12
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
The article's catch phrase is Topless Titans?! Seabaugh blew it in this article. His Ford bias shows too much.

Seabaugh calls the LT1 "lazy" yet omits that torque is comparitively absent from the 5.0 at the same RPMs ... Video says the GT is easier to launch than the SS. Gee I wonder why? Maybe because of the 5.0 GT's torque deficiency.

I don't buy the "Convertible A is better than convertible B because the trunk is bigger and the interior is roomier" argument. If I cared about hauling luggage or people or interior space or storage, I'd buy an SUV or a minivan. I bought my car for fun.

The article fluffs the GT by referring to GT350 handmedowns twice, but has no mention at all that the GT is Ford's top convertible offering. It also fails to mention that there's a whole 'nuther world out here with the ZL1 vert. "But Gunkk, then the article wouldn't be a fair comparison!" you say. Well then don't call it a Titan if it ain't one.

Laying the hammer down in a 650hp drop top is a completely different driving experience. Ford doesn't have anything that can even remotely compare.

Well put Gunkk!!!
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:54 PM   #13
vtirocz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post

You bring up good points, but I didn't think the article was biased at all. I thought the article gave good detail on the pros/cons of each and explained why THEY picked the Mustang, but gives the reader enough info to make their own decision based on what's important to them. Seabaugh also wrote the 2016 SS vs. GT article where the SS won: https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chev...rd-mustang-gt/

Old 05-31-2019, 02:08 PM   #14
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
Decent article.

I'm not sure roominess and trunk space make a good "convertible" as per the writer though. The Wrangler they mentioned would be a much better pick than the Mustang.

A sporting convertible is about the drive and total experience. They were clear which of the two were better in that regard.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote