Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-01-2016, 01:26 PM   #71
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt. Dew View Post
Here too:

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...or-test-3.html

So it sounds like the owner did not run a catch can for those first 20k. I'm sure one will help, but to what degree, only time will tell. Very depressing though considering how many vehicles are DI now. The used car market is going to be very scary in 5 years.
Its not like you can even buy your way out of this problem either. EVERY car is getting it or already has DI.

all 911 models have it, BMW has it , benz has it, even Lamborghini has all DI engines.

engines shouldn't be losing power at 20k miles, period.

I hope with time they can actually do a better job with this problem.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 11:28 PM   #72
Gmanuel

Drives: 2007 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkReaper View Post
If anyone has a concern with carbon build up, look up N54 Walnut blasting. The N54 is a DI twin turbo i6 BMW engine. Comes in e90 335i and a couple other cars. It's treated as a maintenance item. These engines have been tuned for years and no one complains about DI anymore. At the beginning they noticed carbon build and spent their time coming up with solutions not data just to prove people wrong.

1. If you're going to keep your engine mostly stock, buy a catch can get it walnut blasted about every other year.

"But I don't want to pay the dealership to do this"

Here, buy this this and that and you can do it yourself at home.

2. If you are going to mod your car add meth injection. Meth sprayed into the intake will "steam clean" the valves

3. If you will be heavily heavily modding your car add 6 more injectors for port injection.

Mind you, option 3 was only thought of because the n54 had problems with the High Pressure fuel pump which has since been resolved by BMW and aftermarket options. If DI was this wicked evil technology that it's trying to be made out to be, I would add 8 port injectors before I swapped the LT for an LS.
This.
I come from the N54 platform, and I've had my car's intake valves cleaned twice over the course of 50k miles. That's more often than most, but I didn't mind, if it helped the motor breathe. Took an hour or two each time, and was about $250.
The port injection kits came about because the HPFP can't flow enough to support more than ~600whp, but you're right the HPFPs on the n54 had terrible reliability.
Meth, or a port injection kit are the real solutions to this problem, at this point. Toyota came up with the hybrid injection first, with the 2GR-FSE V6, in the IS350. During warmup, the engine ran port injection, but direct at all other times. The reason for this was that the DI had high emissions at startup, but the PI also had the yet unknown benefit of fighting buildup.
I don't remember it personally, but I'm fairly sure EFI had issues when it first came around. When new tech comes out, it has drawbacks, but those drawbacks are mitigated as time goes on.

QUOTE=mikeSS;9064845]Its not like you can even buy your way out of this problem either. EVERY car is getting it or already has DI.

all 911 models have it, BMW has it , benz has it, even Lamborghini has all DI engines.

engines shouldn't be losing power at 20k miles, period.

I hope with time they can actually do a better job with this problem.[/QUOTE]

They will, just give it some time. The HPFPs on the n54 were terribly unreliable, but after a few revisions, BMW got it right. Just like that problem, carbon buildup will have a solution in time.

Last edited by Gmanuel; 05-01-2016 at 11:32 PM. Reason: I see that double quoting doesn't work the same on this forum.
Gmanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:58 PM   #73
BlkReaper

Drives: 2016 2ss
I wasn't aware of the Toyota 2gr using port and DI. I'm going to have to look this up now. Kind of cool a manufacturer would do that.
BlkReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:43 PM   #74
Jon A

Drives: 2014 L86 Denali
Ford's latest Ecoboost for the trucks also has both DI and Port Injection: http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2016/05...owertrain.html . I'm guessing in a few years GM will have a similar setup.
Jon A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 01:11 AM   #75
LesserO2Evils
GM repeat offender...

Drives: 16 2SS
THIS THREAD

INCOMING: ‘22 ZL1, Satin Steel. A10. PDR.
Ordered: 03/02/22.
LesserO2Evils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:15 PM   #76
Gmanuel

Drives: 2007 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkReaper View Post
I wasn't aware of the Toyota 2gr using port and DI. I'm going to have to look this up now. Kind of cool a manufacturer would do that.
Sure did, although I should revise and say that I'm not 100% sure it was the first. Only problem with that platform is the ecu encryption was never broken, so no tuning. The ecu can adapt to exhaust and intake mods to make another 20 or so, but after that, you'd need a standalone. The dual injection might have only been the 306 horse variant too, as I don't see mention of it in any other instance.
Gmanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:23 AM   #77
Waiting46

Drives: 1981 silver corvette,Hyper Blue 2SS
Can anyone make an argument against cleaning your valves that doesn't also apply to oil changes?
Waiting46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 09:25 AM   #78
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmanuel View Post
Sure did, although I should revise and say that I'm not 100% sure it was the first. Only problem with that platform is the ecu encryption was never broken, so no tuning. The ecu can adapt to exhaust and intake mods to make another 20 or so, but after that, you'd need a standalone. The dual injection might have only been the 306 horse variant too, as I don't see mention of it in any other instance.
Most people dont care about tuning or modding. They just want to get back a nice running car for years after spending a lot of money.

I understand that engines are not going to last forever, and will run into problems over years and miles. But at 20k miles no engine should be losing power and fuel economy. I shouldnt have to add a catch can, OR clean my valves to make the advertised power that i paid for.

I hope the duel system stops this from happening or at least slows it down to the point that it only happens with well over 100k miles.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:16 AM   #79
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
I think it would be okay if it reduced it to needing to be done after 80,000-100,000 miles...that's a major service interval so it could be done all at one time..belts, heads, etc.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote