Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 11-17-2021, 09:56 PM   #1
Owwoll’s V8

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Wiring 2nd amp - question - help!!!

If you touch speaker wire to an rca input on an amp, it will still function the same? Don’t have rca splitter , need to test something..

Long time lurker, beginner first time posting! Just needed a quick answer to the question above. Didn’t want to go thru with stripping wire if this is a bad idea so let me know.. but here are the deets.

I had a shop finish up a sub project kinda wish I just did it myself tbh but ran outta time and patience. They made it look good but when I picked it up they said my amp (2000w pyramid America) was under powering subs (Skar svr-12 800rms)so it sounds rather bad, they also said my amps crossover “filter” was broken because voice comes out no matter what they did there, was no lp. I just paid and left, Really wish I didn’t. Got home and took a look at the job they did, they took the stock amplified output wire that goes to my rear speaker, and used that as an input for my amp and subs. Now, let me know what you think but I strongly believe this is the reason my crossover isn’t working on the amp as cited in this forum: https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67472

“Edit: The first time I did this, I mistakenly used the speaker level outputs on the X3 connector. You can do this, but it is not the correct way of doing it. It will "split" the power going to the BA rear deck speakers with your amp signal so no only will you drown out your BA speakers in the rear, but you will in effect reduce your RMS amplified signal.”

So, before taking this back to their shop I would like to test my theory but I don’t have an rca but I have wire and access to the wiring. Can I just touch the speaker wire to the rca input on my amp, to test and show the shop what to do? Was going to use a front speaker input this time, as they seem to carry the lowest signals.

I am here seeking any advice, let me know what you would say/do. Thank you in advance!
Owwoll’s V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 01:02 PM   #2
Owwoll’s V8

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I don’t know how to delete threads. Issue resolved by using a homemade rca splitter. The person that made the other thread was correct there’s really no way to use a speaker output if you’re using your stock amp even with LOC. paid for a garbage install with an owner that didn’t know jack and is now giving runaround, wish me luck
Owwoll’s V8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amp, speakers, sub thump