Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-08-2024, 09:03 PM   #1
Matt1LE

Drives: 2020 3LT Camaro 3.6L 1LE
Dropping Camaro Insurance

So, I'm told that some insurance companies are dropping Camaros from insurance renewal, or flat out refusing to insurance them since they now became easy targets for thefts. Anyone else hear this?
Matt1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2024, 09:19 PM   #2
Evergreen6
Banned

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Have heard rumors, but that's about it. My insurance company continues to insure mine, no issues.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2024, 06:21 AM   #3
fj5gtx

Drives: 70 GTX, 06 Mustang, 22 Camaro LT1
If true, probably location dependent.
Old 07-09-2024, 08:19 AM   #4
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
But again, no easier to steal than any other GM car with that electrical architecture. So it isn't that they are easy to steal, it would only be that they are more likely to be stolen.
Old 07-09-2024, 09:37 AM   #5
Rogueleader_92

Drives: Chevy camaro, Chevy cruze
Your specific engine/trim will probably play into it too. A SS/1LE/ZL1 will be a bigger and more expensive target then any of the V6's and so more expensive/difficult to insure.

Blue 2023 Camaro, 3LT, RS.
Rogueleader_92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2024, 10:01 AM   #6
tenargo57

Drives: Car
I've only seen people speculating that it could happen, but no evidence of it actually happening. My insurance premium went down a few months ago so I'm seeing the opposite, especially when everyone else's seems to be going up.
tenargo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2024, 10:15 AM   #7
Rogueleader_92

Drives: Chevy camaro, Chevy cruze
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenargo57 View Post
I've only seen people speculating that it could happen, but no evidence of it actually happening. My insurance premium went down a few months ago so I'm seeing the opposite, especially when everyone else's seems to be going up.
Thats lucky, did you have a ticket drop off? Mine went up 20% and I even had my broker requote across other companies, best I could get was an increase to 18% and that would lose me my multi policy discount on the home insurance costing me more.

Blue 2023 Camaro, 3LT, RS.
Rogueleader_92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2024, 10:25 AM   #8
olrocker

Drives: People crazy with my sexiness
I’ve actually seen clear surveillance footage of it, it’s scary how easy these cars are to steal. Makes the old days with a flathead screwdriver, coat hanger, and pick to steal non-encoded ignitions look like a major project. If fact I’d wager today’s car thieves wouldn’t know how to Hotwire an old-school car.

Perhaps we need to go back to non-encoded ignition switches

They simply bust the drivers window, reach down under the dash with their OBD programmer, plug into the port, and in about 15 seconds the lights flash after reprograming a new key, then the doors unlock, and they can simply open the door and push the start button and away they go.
Sharkskin/Light gray
Moonroof/Navi/NPP/Mag Ride/Red Brake Calipers
Gray painted split spoke wheels
Illuminated footwells/illuminated bowtie
olrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2024, 10:56 AM   #9
tenargo57

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogueleader_92 View Post
Thats lucky, did you have a ticket drop off? Mine went up 20% and I even had my broker requote across other companies, best I could get was an increase to 18% and that would lose me my multi policy discount on the home insurance costing me more.

Nope, nothing changed. I haven't had a ticket in over 10 years, I didn't move and my policy wasn't modified.
tenargo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2024, 11:36 AM   #10
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
No problems insuring with my company.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2024, 11:58 AM   #11
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by olrocker View Post
I’ve actually seen clear surveillance footage of it, it’s scary how easy these cars are to steal. Makes the old days with a flathead screwdriver, coat hanger, and pick to steal non-encoded ignitions look like a major project. If fact I’d wager today’s car thieves wouldn’t know how to Hotwire an old-school car.

Perhaps we need to go back to non-encoded ignition switches

They simply bust the drivers window, reach down under the dash with their OBD programmer, plug into the port, and in about 15 seconds the lights flash after reprograming a new key, then the doors unlock, and they can simply open the door and push the start button and away they go.
yep, and busting the window in this case is simply pushing in on it until it snaps off at the top of the door, then sitting it aside.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2024, 04:42 PM   #12
triggerjerk

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1
Yes. My regional insurance plan informed me just a few weeks after i bought my camaro that they would not be renewing. Spotless record. I am now with Progressive.
triggerjerk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2024, 07:34 PM   #13
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerjerk View Post
Yes. My regional insurance plan informed me just a few weeks after i bought my camaro that they would not be renewing. Spotless record. I am now with Progressive.
Where are you located?
After delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph... BOTH are a lot of fun to operate...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2024, 08:01 PM   #14
olrocker

Drives: People crazy with my sexiness
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
yep, and busting the window in this case is simply pushing in on it until it snaps off at the top of the door, then sitting it aside.
Being frameless doors (which every Camaro has had since ‘67) you’d think by now they’d use a much stronger side glass. Besides, I’m sure many people - especially unknowing or careless passengers - close the doors by pushing in the glass.
Sharkskin/Light gray
Moonroof/Navi/NPP/Mag Ride/Red Brake Calipers
Gray painted split spoke wheels
Illuminated footwells/illuminated bowtie
olrocker is offline   Reply With Quote