Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 07-15-2019, 07:02 AM   #15
ScatPack
Banned

Drives: None at the moment
Get the PDR if nothing more than for a built in dash cam. Use your EYES and common sense for the forward collision warning...
ScatPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:24 AM   #16
unavailablezl1

Drives: 2019 Silverado Z71 6.2L A10
Go for the FCA you can always get a GoPro. My Tacoma PRO has a standard built in GoPro mount on the inside of my windshield. How cool is that. Maybe get a mount like that. The GoPro's are better anyway.

Here is the quality of the PDR...not good. But it does have a lot of cool stats on it. So there's that.
Attached Images

Past Rides
2017 M6 Camaro ZL1 Hyper Blue
2016 M6 GT350 White with blue strips
2014 M6 Mustang GT Premium Track Pack Ruby Red
2012 M6 M3 Melbourne Red Metallic
unavailablezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 09:15 AM   #17
zl1_fan

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1 (A10, crush)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
PDR is great, while I'm at the track the last thing I want to deal with between sessions is starting aftermarket cameras, making sure they're mounted properly and battery is full, pointed in the right direction and not falling off. The PDR is so easy to start in the pits and gives me great video, lap times and all the session data I need. And I can review it immediately after a session on the nice sized screen in the car. I'm amazed by the lack of interest in PDR on this forum, for $1300 its a dream feature or track junkies like me IMO. FCA is something I like having in my daily, an MDX.

I also can't understand how someone who buys a ZL1 decides in advance they will never track it. Can you tell me why you don't want to? I'm interested.

Track it, you'll be glad you changed your mind :-) I wouldn't buy a car like this if I didn't track it, no opportunity to really experience the potential off track frequently enough to justify cost IMO. 2 days at Laguna Seca 2 weeks ago, and I spent yesterday morning doing drifts and doughnuts on the skidpad at Willow Springs (The Balcony). So much fun for $125.
Thanks everyone for all the great feedback!

Regarding Track use, my original comment "I will not track the car much if ever" was mainly referring to my plans for the first few years of ownership, I am not buying the car to track it immediately, never is a long time. Main use will be driving it every opportunity I get.

All that may change of course once I get behind the wheel and given the fact I am only 45 minutes away from Dominion Raceway
zl1_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 09:45 AM   #18
Stingray_2014

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1
I have a 2019 that I bought off the lot. It has the PDR which the salesman wasn't aware of since he said it has the FCA. Then days later I see the memory car slot and realized I had PDR.

I daily drive this car and I have used the PDR once to test it out. It's pretty cool and all, but I would have rather had FCA. I am assuming FCA also detects objects in front of the car when parking such as parking stops. Is this correct?

I doubt I will ever track my car either. Maybe the drag strip though. I can't risk crashing my daily driver on a track.
Stingray_2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:11 AM   #19
PROMETHEUS

Drives: 2019 ZL-1, Shadow Gray, Sold
You need to sign up for TNIA at Dominion in Aug. Will be there! I was the only Camaro there in June.
PROMETHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:16 AM   #20
PROMETHEUS

Drives: 2019 ZL-1, Shadow Gray, Sold
As some of you may know, the problem with the FCA is that it operates with cameras. I dont know where the camera is on the camaro "might be the same one used for the PDR", but on my wife's Nissan they are in the bumper exposed to the elements. And every time there is any inclement weather they don't operate. I mean a simple rain shower will cause them to go inoperable. Which means the cruise control doesn't operate either! I understand the connection and why, I just think it is stupid. Just food for thought!
PROMETHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:18 AM   #21
zl1_fan

I won't have the car yet, unless I can find a 2019 that meets my requirements otherwise I'm about to order a 2020, but I will definitely try and stop by to check it out and observe.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:31 AM   #22
unavailablezl1

Drives: 2019 Silverado Z71 6.2L A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zl1_fan View Post
I won't have the car yet, unless I can find a 2019 that meets my requirements otherwise I'm about to order a 2020, but I will definitely try and stop by to check it out and observe.
Order it, then get exactly what you want and not stuff you don't.

Past Rides
2017 M6 Camaro ZL1 Hyper Blue
2016 M6 GT350 White with blue strips
2014 M6 Mustang GT Premium Track Pack Ruby Red
2012 M6 M3 Melbourne Red Metallic
unavailablezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 11:13 AM   #23
zl1_fan

Yes, it would make sense the FCA camera is the same camera or is in the same location as the PDR camera since they are mutually exclusive.

That begs the question, how well does the FCA work on the Camaro? I assume I'll be able to creep up to objects I cannot see from the drivers seat like a curb and get a warning before the car makes contact?
Old 07-15-2019, 02:20 PM   #24
ste1n

Drives: 2019 2SS
Correct me if I am wrong but isn't FCA just a warning? I have 19 2SS and it is equipped with FCA the only time it works is when I am getting close the car in front of me too fast. Then it just beeps and flashes some red light in head up display.

Also there is a button on the steering wheel that lets you change the sensitivity. So if you are on the highway it shows whether you are maintaining safe travelling distance or not. If you do, it shows a little green car icon in the dash and head up display if not it show an orange car icon.

If you ask me it is pretty useless feature and in your case $1300 pdr isn't justifiable either. If I were you I wouldn't opt for pdr and spend that money (probably costs less than half) to have a shop install dash cams on both windshield and rear window that are hooked up to the battery so you will have parking mode functionality too, just like Tesla sentry mode but not as good of course.
ste1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 03:03 PM   #25
Lafourche1

Drives: 2019 CLA 450 Mercedes
I am asking for information on the FCA. I know that in our MKT and on the AMG, the FCA system gives a strong alert (visual, audio and shakes seat/wheel on Lincoln only), tensions the seat belts and pre-loads the brakes. The AMG will actually start applying the brakes (a little newer). Both of these systems work with sensors that are placed in the front bumper. Neither has a camera.

I was curious about the Camaro's FCA system stopping to function in bad weather. Also, I know that where the PDR camera sits would not be the best for any type of parking aid (pulling in).
Lafourche1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 03:11 PM   #26
JD2018_ZL1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro
Is FCA only on auto Trans?
JD2018_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 12:09 AM   #27
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScatPack View Post
Get the PDR if nothing more than for a built in dash cam. Use your EYES and common sense for the forward collision warning...
You have to remember to start PDR for every trip and it automatically stops recording after about one hour (EDIT: 1 hour and 39 minutes) without any notification/warning (at least for 17-18). Better to get a dedicated dashcam if you want that functionality. If you track the car it is hard to generate an overlayed video and analyze it to find improvement areas before your next session using aftermarket equipment but the PDR makes that very easy.

I rented a 2019 2SS on vacation earlier this year and was surprised to find out the car had FCA within the first 10 minutes while accelerating to clear a yellow light. That was on the default most conservative setting and I was not at all concerned about having an accident unlike the car's computers! I turned it off after that...not sure if there would be enough time to react to a real incident with FCA on a more aggressive setting.

Last edited by cdrptrks; 06-07-2020 at 07:11 PM.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 08:50 AM   #28
zl1_fan

I originally misunderstood the functionality of FCA.

After a few conversations with folks who have this feature, this is how I understand FCA works (for the camaro): it has a forward facing camera (perhaps the same camera for PDR), you select 1 of 3 predefined distances to monitor, when traveling FCA will monitor the area within the distance you selected, if you approach or close in on an object at a rate the computer determines is unsafe, a visual and/or audio warning goes off. FCA will NOT apply the brakes or attempt to stop the vehicle in any way. That's up the the driver

Based on this information, FCA is not what I originally thought and hoping it was, therefore I will get the PDR when placing my 2020 ZL1 order. Personally I feel I'll get more use/enjoyment out of PDR.

Thanks again.

Last edited by zl1_fan; 07-16-2019 at 09:27 AM. Reason: additional info