Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 07-14-2019, 08:04 AM   #1
zl1_fan

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1 (A10, crush)
Forward collision alert or PDR

Seems the FCA (Forward Collision Alert) system is deleted with the PDR (Performance Data Recorder) option. I would like to order a 2020 ZL1 with the PDR option but I would also hate to give up FCA.

Not sure which one I'd rather have.

The PDR seems really cool, but I will not track the car much if ever, it will be more of a daily driver. Is PDR useful if I don't plan on tracking it? Better resale value down the road?

As you know the FCA is great for parking, pilling up to objects, other cars, etc., which is a feature I love in all my other vehicles.
zl1_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 08:42 AM   #2
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
For a daily driver I'd keep the FCA and forgo the PDR. If you ever want to create a racing video and/or analyze your driving, just use a dash cam or a GoPro, then annotate the footage with OBD data afterwards.

Even image quality and flexibility with the data overlay will be much better than with the PDR.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:12 AM   #3
sujohn

Drives: '18 ZL1 1LE
One nice feature is that PDR gets you is video recording in valet mode. Depending on how often you let other folks drive your car, valet mode video can give you a little more peace of mind. I have to valet my car often, so for me PDR is very valuable.

Also, I agree that the video quality for track videos isn’t great, but PDR also gets you access to so much extra information like tire pressure/temperature and vehicle health info that you can see on your laptop.
sujohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 10:33 AM   #4
1hprush
2018 ZL1 1LE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Don’t worry so much about which one has better resale. Consider which one you are going to get the most out of while owning your car. Besides, the FCA could save you bundles of $$ somewhere down the road.
1hprush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 12:43 PM   #5
zl1_fan

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1 (A10, crush)
All good points, thanks for the input.
zl1_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 04:19 PM   #6
sengli

Drives: 2015commemorative vert 2SS
I dont track mine, never will. Both my cars have the PDR, since they were bought off the lot. Played with once on the way to the store. Unless your crazy about track use, no way would I pay the $1300 for it.
sengli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 04:59 PM   #7
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
You don't need the PDR. I would get the collision feature instead.

My ZLE doesn't have the PDR and there hasn't been one time where I wish I had it in my year of ownership.

I will never EVER let anyone valet my car and like others have said, the aftermarket has much better video and information quality than the PDR.

2018 ZL1 1LE/Red hot

2019 Shellby GT 350R/ Oxford white/ Matte Black Stripes/ Carbon Fiber Dash/ Electronics Package #413
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 08:16 PM   #8
RazzleDazzle

Drives: 2019 Camaro Zl1 A10 w/ Nav & PDR
So, I just had to deal with the same conundrum last week before I bought my ZL1 on Friday;
Some people have said the FCA is faulty, annoyed them to the point of shutting it off, it effected their cruise control in negative ways, and if the windshield was dirty, rainy or frosted it did not work as advertised. That being said, I really wanted both (like really bad- I was seeing if there was a workaround) and was committed to a car with FCA and no PDR AND THEN, my local dealer found me a baller car and deal with PDR and more options for less money = sold!!!!

Also, another deal clincher for me was the realization that you can buy aftermarket FCA devices!! Does the same thing!
You can even get them integrated to apply braking while the Chevy version does not

And I’m the kind of person too who would always wonder / wish what if I had it- at least it’s there.

It def would not hurt resale either IMO
RazzleDazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 10:46 PM   #9
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
PDR is great, while I'm at the track the last thing I want to deal with between sessions is starting aftermarket cameras, making sure they're mounted properly and battery is full, pointed in the right direction and not falling off. The PDR is so easy to start in the pits and gives me great video, lap times and all the session data I need. And I can review it immediately after a session on the nice sized screen in the car. I'm amazed by the lack of interest in PDR on this forum, for $1300 its a dream feature or track junkies like me IMO. FCA is something I like having in my daily, an MDX.

I also can't understand how someone who buys a ZL1 decides in advance they will never track it. Can you tell me why you don't want to? I'm interested.

Track it, you'll be glad you changed your mind :-) I wouldn't buy a car like this if I didn't track it, no opportunity to really experience the potential off track frequently enough to justify cost IMO. 2 days at Laguna Seca 2 weeks ago, and I spent yesterday morning doing drifts and doughnuts on the skidpad at Willow Springs (The Balcony). So much fun for $125.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:06 AM   #10
HoldMyBeer

Drives: 2017 ZL1(Silver) - A10, Stock
May be a stupid question, but when did forward collision alert become an option? Was this available from 2017 onward or later years?

Last edited by HoldMyBeer; 07-15-2019 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Spelling
HoldMyBeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 01:30 AM   #11
TEST DRyVer

Drives: 17 ZL1 6mt with PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoldMyBeer View Post
May be a stupid question, but when did forward collision alert become an option? Was this available from 2017 onward or later years?
I'm pretty sure this became standard on 19 ZL1's, unless you opt for PDR (as stated by Op). I have yet to track the car (I've had it for about a week), but I was looking specifically for a PDR car, and I've already used it for "spirited driving"

Esthetics: Nardo Grey wrap with original black accents throughout, complete Xpel ceramic coat, Diode Dynamics markers, Smoked GM tail & 3rd brake light, C7 Carbon 1LE style Spoiler in blk, ACS splash guards, blk'd out emblems. Variant Krypton wheels in Gloss black.

Performance: AWE Touring catback exhaust with resonator, Rotofab dry intake, TM throttle body, Kooks 1 7/8 Headers with Green Cats, Advanced Fuel Dynamics Flex Fuel kit with e50 blend and dyno tuned.

Current Family car (for the wifey): 2021 Audi SQ5
TEST DRyVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 01:39 AM   #12
TEST DRyVer

Drives: 17 ZL1 6mt with PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain View Post
You don't need the PDR. I would get the collision feature instead.

My ZLE doesn't have the PDR and there hasn't been one time where I wish I had it in my year of ownership.

I will never EVER let anyone valet my car and like others have said, the aftermarket has much better video and information quality than the PDR.
Sorry buddy... Where my wife and I go out, the valets are used to parking Lambo's, Ferrari's, McLaren's, Porsche's, etc... Not sure why you wouldn't let anyone park your ZLE, but to each his or her own... If it saves my wife a walk that she doesn't want to do when we're out (not at a gym or outdoor venue), then I'm doing it... I can almost guarantee the Chevy dealership service tech does much worse with your car than a valet. Unless of course you're the type that does all of their own maintenance because they don't want others touching their car. And if you're "that guy," then you have more important issues to deal with...

Esthetics: Nardo Grey wrap with original black accents throughout, complete Xpel ceramic coat, Diode Dynamics markers, Smoked GM tail & 3rd brake light, C7 Carbon 1LE style Spoiler in blk, ACS splash guards, blk'd out emblems. Variant Krypton wheels in Gloss black.

Performance: AWE Touring catback exhaust with resonator, Rotofab dry intake, TM throttle body, Kooks 1 7/8 Headers with Green Cats, Advanced Fuel Dynamics Flex Fuel kit with e50 blend and dyno tuned.

Current Family car (for the wifey): 2021 Audi SQ5
TEST DRyVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:39 AM   #13
Snakebt6

Drives: Rally Green 2020 ZL1 1LE A10
Get what youll get the most benefit from.
Snakebt6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:58 AM   #14
Fast02Z06

Drives: 2018 ZL1
I personally hate all this technology and I'm a millennial. what did we do for oh so many years without fca and backup camera's????? I have fca on my Denali diesel but turn the damn thing off as I'm a good driver who pays attention to what is going on around me on the road. Sorry it's besides the point but I always thought that all this safety tech was a bunch of unnecessary crap to make us even worse drivers.
Fast02Z06 is offline   Reply With Quote