Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Bigwormgraphix

Thread Closed

Old 11-14-2017, 12:44 PM   #15
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by APEXRaceParts View Post
Appreciate your feedback. We are mapping out our internal list of desired wheel specifications based on market research and test fitments, and will be comparing our notes to the data that comes in from the community. I am interested to know, when it comes to an aggressive track rotatable square fitment, are there more Camaro enthusiasts looking for 19x10.5" or 19x11" wheels when accommodating 305 tires?

- Ryan
Thanks for replying Ryan. I'm sure you are aware of glamcem's track build thread as I think you guys did a blog with him. He tried out a bunch of your sizes to see what would fit and what wouldn't
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=487124

In an ideal world I would love to do an 18" track wheel but I think glamcem had a tough time fitting it without doing a lot of grinding.

I think what you'll find is that a lot of us won't mind running a spacer up front to run a square setup on track. I'm currently running a 5mm spacer up front with your 19x10 et25 spec wheels for clearance although now that I have camber plates I could probably get away without running it. I even think a number of us would be OK grinding our strut a little bit for clearance as glamcem did.

An 11" front wheel will would be ideal with the ZL1 but on a regular SS the 11" wheel sticks out to far IMHO and I know a 305 will fit on a 10.5" wheel. It may not be ideal but I don't think I've heard of any performance disadvantage. I could be wrong however.

In the end, I'll leave it to you guys to decide what's best but I definitely think that if you can come up with a square setup of 18" and/or 19" that allows for the use of a 305/30 on all 4 corners it will sell, even if you have to put a disclaimer that "some grinding and a spacer may need to be used up from on MRC equipped cars." I have camber plates which gives me even more flexibility when it comes to front widths because I can put more camber at the plate and less at the knuckle which will help a ton for wheel clearance at the strut. I can run something like .7 degrees at the knuckle and the rest at the plate rather than having to run all -2.7 degrees at the knuckle.

Thank you all and I look forward to seeing what you come up with. Any chance there will be a first run group buy?
Old 11-14-2017, 05:16 PM   #16
glamcem

Drives: '19 RivrsdBlu 1LE ('17 1LE HB sold)
Unfortunately, running a square setup is not an easy task for 10.5" or 11 wheels up front without having too much poke in the rear and/or having some grinding, 10-15 mm spacer and of course longer wheel studs because of the thick spacers up front.

Another option is to get some camber plates but I'm personally not a big fan of them and not sure how many people would be willing to install them (especially after hearing the failures). It still won't address the issue of having the offset delta between front and rear by the way.

You can of course run 19x10" or 18x10" wheels but it would be a downgrade at the road course track all things being equal (running used slicks or R7s is not everyone's cup of coffee)

Also ZL1 1LE specific wheel specs will only work on ZL1 1LE (duh) and probably the previous Gen Z28 as they both had Multimatics and fender clearance. Although the rear fitment will be fine, the front will rub (Sean used them at the Laguna Seca) and some spacers will be required to be able to run more than -2.5 camber. ZL1 owners have the wider fenders but they still have the same struts so inner clearance issue will still be there. For the reference, going from 10" with +20mm offset to 11" with +11 mm offset will move the tires 22mm further out and result in 4mm less clearance inside which will probably be an issue with aggressive camber.

I think the most ideal setup for a broader audience would be something like :

19x10.5" +14 (same inner clerance, 12mm furher out) offset for the front for clerance and camber and
19x11.5" +37mm offset (same inner clerance, 12mm further out) so the overall track width for both front and rear would remain the same.
Having 19x12" with around +35-40mm would still work for the rear

For the 18" wheels (SS and SS 1LE owners only as the front wheels won't clear those ZL1,ZL1 1LE or Gen 5 Z28) brakes:

18x10.5" +12mm (because of the tighter fitment due to knuckle)
18x11" +43 or +44mm ( Already offered with FL-5, SM 10 and EC-7 models) for the rear

I was running 325s on 11" with no issue as it's within the recommended range and since 335 or 345 may be not be that necessary since we don't have the power of the ZL1 cars

I hope that helps
Old 11-14-2017, 05:41 PM   #17
slick3

Drives: Garnet Red - 20 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamcem View Post

I think the most ideal setup for a broader audience would be something like.

19x10.5" +14 (same inner clerance, 12mm furher out) offset for the front for clerance and camber and
19x11.5" +37mm offset (same inner clerance, 12mm further out) so the overall track width for both front and rear would remain the same.
Having 19x12" with around +35-40mm would still work for the rear
I have same size wheels with basically a more tucked rear. No rubbing. The front has a little poke with -2.4 in it. I think it would tuck with 2.7 but I just cant get that out of the stock spindle.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:47 PM   #18
Corner carver

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T RS
Survey done!

Just wanted to mention that Anderson's Composites has new front fenders this month that are .4" wider than stock fyi (woohoo!)
Installed Mods: 25% Window tint | Headlight, side marker and third brake light Phastek tint kit | GM black taillights with Gen5diy LED harness and bulbs | LED license plate bulbs | Gorilla lug nuts, black | GM 'performance' center caps | RS and sheild badges removed
Old 11-14-2017, 05:51 PM   #19
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick3 View Post
I have same size wheels with basically a more tucked rear. No rubbing. The front has a little poke with -2.4 in it. I think it would tuck with 2.7 but I just cant get that out of the stock spindle.
Yeah, I remember our conversation about that

My rears have 18mm poke and even with the 325s I don't deal with any rubbing so 12mm poke should be even better with -1.6 camber.

Front poke is not noticeable at all in my case. I have only about 9mm poke with 19x10.5" +17mm offset (+22mm with 5 mm spacer) additional 3mm poke shouldn't hurt anything
Old 11-14-2017, 05:54 PM   #20
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Quote:
Unfortunately, running a square setup is not an easy task for 10.5" or 11 wheels up front without having too much poke in the rear and/or having some grinding, 10-15 mm spacer and of course longer wheel studs because of the thick spacers up front.

I think the most ideal setup for a broader audience would be something like :

I hope that helps
Great reply. I do think you can find a sweet spot to use 19x10.5 wheels square we some smaller spacers and some grinding as necessary. Especially for those of us that have camber plates. If they don’t end up offering something then I’ll Probably just end up going with the 19x10.5 et22 BMW fitment they offer. With my 5mm spacers up front I’m effectively running a 19x10 et20. The 19x10.5 et22 would only be inset 8.4mm more and poke 4.4mm. I should have no problem fitting that with some grinding and no spacers. I know it may not be ideal for a lot of people but for some of us it should work well.

maybe a 19x10.5 +30 for square? That would be good in the rear and if I add an 8-10mm spacer up front the front fitment would be pretty good too

That is just my wishlist of course

Last edited by Eric SS; 11-14-2017 at 06:06 PM.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:58 PM   #21
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corner carver View Post
Survey done!

Just wanted to mention that Anderson's Composites has new front fenders this month that are .4" wider than stock fyi (woohoo!)
Where is this info?? I’ve been waiting/asking for something like this.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:09 PM   #22
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric SS View Post
Great reply. I do think you can find a sweet spot to use 19x10.5 wheels square we some smaller spacers and some grinding as necessary. Especially for those of us that have camber plates. If they don’t end up offering something then I’ll Probably just end up going with the 19x10.5 et22 BMW fitment they offer. With my 5mm spacers up front I’m effectively running a 19x10 et20. The 19x10.5 et22 would only be inset 8.4mm more and poke 4.4mm. I should have no problem fitting that with some grinding and no spacers. I know it may not be ideal for a lot of people but for some of us it should work well.
I agree If it has to be square, their existing wheels (19x10.5 et22 ) is your best bet. It requires some grinding (or camber plate) and 3-5 mm spacers up front.

However, after trying 325s in the rear, I noticed how much grip I was leaving on the table with 305s. In other words, going with narrower wheels is very counterproductive IMO.

Have you ever considered rotating tires on each side and have a tire shop swap front with rears after say 3-4 events ? If your ultimate goal is to run same size tires (305/30/19), it may be a good alternative to sacrifing the rear grip or not being able to run/test wider tires in future. Yes it will probably add additional $50-60 bucks between tire changes but it will also allow you to try other tires such as 295-315 R7s, 305/ SQ, 305/315, 305/325 ..etc Just a thought..
Old 11-14-2017, 06:11 PM   #23
Corner carver

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T RS
Quote:
Where is his info?? I’ve been waiting for something like this.
It was posted for by them in the cosmetic section a week or two ago... I knew you guys had been looking:

https://andersoncomposites.com/colle...evrolet?page=5
Installed Mods: 25% Window tint | Headlight, side marker and third brake light Phastek tint kit | GM black taillights with Gen5diy LED harness and bulbs | LED license plate bulbs | Gorilla lug nuts, black | GM 'performance' center caps | RS and sheild badges removed
Old 11-14-2017, 06:23 PM   #24
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Quote:
I agree If it has to be square, their existing wheels (19x10.5 et22 ) is your best bet. It requires some grinding (or camber plate) and 3-5 mm spacers up front.

However, after trying 325s in the rear, I noticed how much grip I was leaving on the table with 305s. In other words, going with narrower wheels is very counterproductive IMO.

Have you ever considered rotating tires on each side and have a tire shop swap front with rears after say 3-4 events ? If your ultimate goal is to run same size tires (305/30/19), it may be a good alternative to sacrifing the rear grip or not being able to run/test wider tires in future. Yes it will probably add additional $50-60 bucks between tire changes but it will also allow you to try other tires such as 295-315 R7s, 305/ SQ, 305/315, 305/325 ..etc Just a thought..
Not a terrible idea and I agree it may be worth it. I guess I’ll See what Apex comes up with
Old 11-14-2017, 06:26 PM   #25
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corner carver View Post
It was posted for by them in the cosmetic section a week or two ago... I knew you guys had been looking:

https://andersoncomposites.com/colle...evrolet?page=5
Thanks for the link. I honestly think it's too much work only to be able to run half an inch wider wheels though I have been running 305s with 10.5" wheels and my friend has been running 315s with no issues

Quote:
Not a terrible idea and I agree it may be worth it. I guess I’ll See what Apex comes up with
Old 11-14-2017, 07:38 PM   #26
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by APEXRaceParts View Post
Appreciate your feedback. We are mapping out our internal list of desired wheel specifications based on market research and test fitments, and will be comparing our notes to the data that comes in from the community. I am interested to know, when it comes to an aggressive track rotatable square fitment, are there more Camaro enthusiasts looking for 19x10.5" or 19x11" wheels when accommodating 305 tires?

The 10.5" wheel would certainly be an easier fitment up front in regards to inner strut clearance and negative camber requirements, however 11" wheels would support 305 tires a bit better. For the S550 and S550 GT350 we chose to produce an 11" wheel over the 10.5" wheel based on community feedback.

Would love to discuss this in more detail with my Camaro truck junkies.

Thank you for the positive comments

Awesome to hear you have personal experience with our product already. We are very excited to offer Camaro enthusiasts wheels that are specifically optimized for their vehicles. No more centering rings or compromised wheel and tire fitments.

When entering a new market, we typically kick off the first rounds of production with the most track oriented fitments - the smallest diameter possible which will still provide enough brake clearance for the chassis at hand. Although our 18" wheels offer some of the best brake clearances on the market and can clear a majority of brakes in question, we believe a majority of 5th and 6th gen Camaro enthusiasts are seeking 19" wheels. Regardless of which diameter is produced first, we will continue to support this market with new wheel fitments in alternative diameters to ensure we are offering the community a range of wheel solutions that suit their specific needs.

Thank you guys for your support. We typically leave the survey up until we get a healthy amount of community feedback. We are looking for consistent trends in the data, that hopefully corroborates our research and testing. The process ensures that our decision making is in alignment with community feedback.

Much appreciated!

- Ryan
Keep some 18s in the running. Not everyone wants 19s. That would be going bigger than i had in stock form a d the ps-7's i currently run.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
Old 11-14-2017, 07:58 PM   #27
RXtacy

Drives: 93 RX-7, 17 SS 1LE, 04 RX-8
FWIW this is what 18x10.5 +22 fitment looks like.

There's good caliper clearance for the 1LE 6 piston calipers.

It JUST clears the strut with a 10mm spacer. This is with no grinding and -2.6 degrees camber.

Less than 1mm clearance.

Fender clearance looks ok.

Rear pokes out just a tad, not bad and might tuck under with compression. This is at -1.6 camber.

They are good looking wheels!

Last edited by RXtacy; 11-17-2017 at 02:46 PM.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:02 PM   #28
glamcem

18" wheels/tires would be game changer for sure

Quick comparison :

OEM wheels/tires weigh about 60 lbs on each corner
18 " Apex SM10 wheels and R7 tires about 45 lbs!! (

That's a total of 15 lbs difference on each corner and total of 60lbs rotational weight reduction. For the reference, that is the difference puts the GT350R apart from the GT350 with its carbon fiber wheels. For track use, I cannot think of a better improvement for the money

Closed Thread