Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 07-26-2021, 06:40 PM   #15
ItsChristianInHD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS 3.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Don't mistake the companies stated purpose with not caring.

There are a lot of people there that are true unabashed car people.

The issue is this. GM could invest $500 million (or more) to do not only the greatest Camaro ever, but also the greatest coupe ever and maybe lead in sales of a dying market segment. Maybe they go from last to first, which still isn't a 100,000 units per year any longer. It's just not worth the investment. There is no ROIC sufficient to justify the investment. And sadly, the King of "Merican Muscle" doesn't have global appeal (that and GM failed miserably trying to take the Chevy brand to Europe)

GM basically has Spark, Malibu, CT4 and CT5 as passenger cars/sedans in the US market. Sadly many other car models are still produced and sold in other markets but not here. GM has backed out of a lot of nameplates simply because they don't carry their weight and the cost to refresh them just gets in the way of their EV future. Remember the days when GM tried to keep Chevy, Saturn, Buick, Cadillac, GMC, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Hummer fresh with products? GM no longer does things because it's fun to do or demonstrates technology. It does things that make money. And it's pretty clear that Camaro isn't that.
For sure, I would agree with the notion, that GM does things to make money for the most part. As they have been bailed out and must adhere to staying away from it, again.

Although, I don’t agree that GMs every move is to make money or actually caring for their customers.

Example, the smoked tail lamps for the 16-18 models. Everyone wants them, yet, GM canceled them as soon as they could. It’s an accessory that, will make money.

I guess, we will all just stick to the used market. Personally, I’ll never buy an EV and I’m not interested in anything else they have to offer (maybe the Corvette).
ItsChristianInHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 06:41 PM   #16
DooIt

Drives: 21 SS 1LE M6 Red Hot
Glad I have a Gen 6
DooIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 06:44 PM   #17
ItsChristianInHD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS 3.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
I’d put it this way. GM will never make another car I’ll care to own.

I’ve spent +200k with Chevy in the past seven years
I agree, my grandfather retired from GM in Lordstown, our family has always been GM loyal. Multiple Camaros, Corvettes, Firebirds, Silverados, Impalas, Malibu’s. You name it, my family has probably purchased it, anywhere from the 60s+.

The Corvette is still around, which I think is a great car. As for anything else they build, it’s not my type. I’ll have to buy used until I can’t, then switch brands.
ItsChristianInHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 06:53 PM   #18
Devstrike

Drives: 2020 Camaro LT1
I might pick up the last year Gen 6 Camaro sold but other than that I agree GM will also not make something I would want to buy either in the future unless I needed a truck.
Devstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 07:14 PM   #19
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious_Ivy1LE View Post
sorry to burst your "holier than thou" bubble.. but if they are going to bother going through the steps of making it truly performance oriented it'll be faster than a ZL1 or ZLE as well. ..
i have no dought it would be faster,teslas already areeven if they took a gen 6 body and made it electric at leastit would be a 2 door coupe.a camaro with 4 doors just aint natural.

Last edited by redcoats1976; 07-26-2021 at 08:10 PM.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 08:15 PM   #20
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devstrike View Post
I might pick up the last year Gen 6 Camaro sold but other than that I agree GM will also not make something I would want to buy either in the future unless I needed a truck.
Unless you are older than me, put a pin in this comment. This is like saying you will never use a calculator because nothing feels as good in your hand as an abacus.

We are at the earliest stages of EVs and it’s likely a BEV isn’t even the final answer. As other industries need massive amounts of hydrogen, fuel cells start to look really promising. And then ultimately we all have to answer why the 100 plus year old technology remains the better mouse trap.

Now maybe GM fails with EVs and your statement still holds, but in 10 years it may just be ridiculous to hold on to the notion an ICE is the best answer, even if the question is most enjoyable to drive.
Old 07-26-2021, 08:33 PM   #21
Devstrike

Drives: 2020 Camaro LT1
Quote:
Unless you are older than me, put a pin in this comment. This is like saying you will never use a calculator because nothing feels as good in your hand as an abacus.

We are at the earliest stages of EVs and it’s likely a BEV isn’t even the final answer. As other industries need massive amounts of hydrogen, fuel cells start to look really promising. And then ultimately we all have to answer why the 100 plus year old technology remains the better mouse trap.

Now maybe GM fails with EVs and your statement still holds, but in 10 years it may just be ridiculous to hold on to the notion an ICE is the best answer, even if the question is most enjoyable to drive.

Believe it or not I did bookmark it because I in this case would like to be proven wrong. For me it is not really the ICE it is the platform and the sports/muscle coupe in general. That being said I do love the V8 and I am sure I can keep my current ride (or last model year 6th gen if I choose to buy one) for a long time to have that V8 in addition to whatever future two door performance vehicle I may like to have along with it.
Devstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 08:34 PM   #22
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsChristianInHD View Post
I agree, my grandfather retired from GM in Lordstown, our family has always been GM loyal. Multiple Camaros, Corvettes, Firebirds, Silverados, Impalas, Malibu’s. You name it, my family has probably purchased it, anywhere from the 60s+.

The Corvette is still around, which I think is a great car. As for anything else they build, it’s not my type. I’ll have to buy used until I can’t, then switch brands.
Yep. When "cars" become appliances, I doubt GM will make the best one.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 08:44 PM   #23
Silveradoss573

Drives: Camaro 1LE
So gm couldn't give their sedans away and killed them off. But somehow someone thinks a ev Camaro sedan is the answer???? Wow can't wait to see those quarterly numbers.

Regarding the electric push...
I'll say it again, big gas and oil will have the last laugh. And then just watch how fast all these manufacturers run to the government for a bailout.
Silveradoss573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 08:50 PM   #24
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveradoss573 View Post
So gm couldn't give their sedans away and killed them off. But somehow someone thinks a ev Camaro sedan is the answer???? Wow can't wait to see those quarterly numbers.

Regarding the electric push...
I'll say it again, big gas and oil will have the last laugh. And then just watch how fast all these manufacturers run to the government for a bailout.
I am more concerned about electricity distribution, more than anything.

Anyway, I am not spending good money on prototype technology. I will wait a bit longer until everything gets fleshed out, and then I might consider it.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 09:49 PM   #25
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:

Its not a matter of EVs being the future. Its the matter of California not having the infrastructure to support wide spread EV adoption.

Battery vehicles are the future, just like all the other devices the future expos from 70 years ago predicted. People won't be happy when they have to choose between getting to work in the morning or keeping the fridge cold.
Old 07-26-2021, 10:00 PM   #26
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
i really dont know why everyone thinks EVs are the future.the transportation company i worked for had over 200 hydrogen powered semi trucks.45 minutes to fuel completely up and water is the only emission.if youre in central florida and see a saddle creek semi,odds are good its hydrogen powered.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:13 PM   #27
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
i really dont know why everyone thinks EVs are the future.the transportation company i worked for had over 200 hydrogen powered semi trucks.45 minutes to fuel completely up and water is the only emission.if youre in central florida and see a saddle creek semi,odds are good its hydrogen powered.
Fuel cell or hydrogen ICE? If the latter, there will be NOx emissions since, you know, air is 70%+ nitrogen.

Hydrogen's issue is that most of it still comes from natural gas(through steam reformation), so you are still relying on fossil fuels. Electrolysis is pretty energy intensive and overall a less efficient process than BEV. Making hydrogen, compressing it, transporting it and then storing it(remember, you gotta keep it compressed and it will still very slowly leak over time) will definitely be less efficient than just making electricity and throwing it across the power lines.

And again, we are more or less back to the "keeping the fridge cold or driving to work" problem described above if we were to make hydrogen out of electrolysis.

Ironically, hydrogen is the most abundant element in the universe. Just not on the Earth. The sun itself is basically a giant hydrogen reactor.

Another thing I just remembered: fuel cell water management is a big issue, so that's gonna be pretty fun for people living in humid areas as you now need a dehumidifying setup to get the water out of the fuel cell before it clogs itself up.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 11:06 PM   #28
Hops

Drives: 2019 1ss 1le, blue wrap
Quote:
S
It would need to beat at least a Tesla Model 3 to be even remotely credible.

How it beats the model 3 is the question. If it's just about 0-whatever... that's kind of boring. I hope they they focus on beating tesla in handling and sustained performance for track use.
Hops is offline   Reply With Quote