Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

View Poll Results: Who has experienced an oil pump failure?
2016 or earlier 20 13.79%
2017 53 36.55%
2018 67 46.21%
2019 2 1.38%
2020 2 1.38%
2021 1 0.69%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-13-2021, 07:41 PM   #785
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
The Convertible top issues are common, especially on the earlier models. The bracing, not much can go wrong, other than a loose bolt or possibly a weld where the x-crosses
…certainly not a common issue. As for the a/c and alternator… well, as much as you want to say the mods didn’t cause your issues, who really knows? You’ve modded your car, and as far as the manufacturer is concerned, end of story, including the oil pump issue. You clearly make a good buck and can’t possibly be unintelligent, so I’m fascinated that you’re actually trying to sue GM for a buyback on a 2017 car. As well, a car “with mods”. What am I missing here… Seriously, please tell me?
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 10:13 AM   #786
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
Oil pump should be covered under powertrain warranty, suing for a vehicle buyback is a complete waste of time and money - will never go anywhere

Supposedly Katech was going to put together a video on why the pumps fail, guess that isn't going to happen. Someone (preferably a customer) needs to bug them
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 10:19 PM   #787
Future1LEa10
Banned

Drives: 2021 Camaro 1LE
Ugh. This is scary. Just got my new to me 2018 ZL1 with 600 miles. Drove it home 800 miles. Now its up to 1600 miles. Build date is 11/17. It never had an oil change before I got it. Just had it changed at the dealer yesterday at 1550miles. Put in the factory fill 5w30.

I planned on ripping this beast but this makes me scared. Big time.
Future1LEa10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 10:31 PM   #788
semif18

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future1LEa10 View Post
Ugh. This is scary. Just got my new to me 2018 ZL1 with 600 miles. Drove it home 800 miles. Now its up to 1600 miles. Build date is 11/17. It never had an oil change before I got it. Just had it changed at the dealer yesterday at 1550miles. Put in the factory fill 5w30.

So this is my take. First off, the motor is under warranty through 2023, so you shouldn't be afraid to just rip on it. If the pump fails it will be replaced. Second, and this is where I will get blasted but let's talk numbers. So far there's been what, 35 reported failures (or something close to that) on this forum for 2018s. I don't know how many ZL1 drivers are on this forum, but there are over 6100 2018s running around, obviously not all on this forum. We don't know the true percentage, but I have a suspicion that it's actually not that high, nobody really knows. GM to my knowledge has not acknowledged any issues with oil pumps (I'm very aware of Z06 cooling issues that went unacknowledged). My point, I wouldn't spend one second worrying about it. Go rip on the car like it's supposed to and like I said, if on the rare chance the pump fails, take it to the dealer to be replaced at no cost. After 2023 spend the $ and buy a Katech pump and all is good! I have a 2018 and I floor it when the road allows! I don't worry one second about the oil pump.
semif18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 11:46 PM   #789
ZX-10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by semif18 View Post
So far there's been what, 35 reported failures (or something close to that) on this forum for 2018s. I don't know how many ZL1 drivers are on this forum, but there are over 6100 2018s running around, obviously not all on this forum. We don't know the true percentage, but I have a suspicion that it's actually not that high, nobody really knows.
You have to balance this with the fact that most ZL1s are garage queens with very low miles. It takes time for the oil pump to form stress cracks and fail. For '17s and 18's it seems to be more of "when" not "if" - it may be 30k+ miles in some cases. I might add warming up the oil/engine completely before you get on it is always a good idea, and that takes longer than coolant temps of course.

Quote:
GM to my knowledge has not acknowledged any issues with oil pumps
Means nothing - they don't want to invite a class action lawsuit if they don't recall every car from years affected

Quote:
I'm very aware of Z06 cooling issues that went unacknowledged
That was mainly a track issue and it won't destroy your engine! Apples and oranges
Old 07-16-2021, 07:26 AM   #790
infinitereality
Limitless Imagination

Drives: 2018 ZL1 & 2022 Hayabusa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future1LEa10 View Post

We have similar cars, both 2018 and 11/17 build dates. I had 4145 when I bought it a few weeks ago and now have 5400. I also was very concerned when buying one since I saw this prior, only looked at '19-up ones. An '18 popped up, a great deal I couldn't pass it up so purchased it knowing the drivetrain would be good for 5yrs if it did happen. I'll be testing it for you, lol.

While I am concerned about it, especially being stuck on the side of the road with my family with no AC, I give myself a 50/50 shot if it does. I am daily driving mine, so I will should find out something either way before 2023.

For what it's worth, I had a '14 Audi S7. The 13/14 S6/S7 had turbo issues, about $5k issue if out of warranty (which I was) and had it done by an indy shop. FYI was likely due to the oil screen being too fine and clogging. No one had engine damage, just had to replace turbos. Audi would never admit being at fault, but they had something like 7 oil screen revisions so that kind of proves they knew of the issue. Just crossed my fingers. I got rid of it at 90k and no turbo issue. The PCV died few months before I got rid of it so got to inspect the impeller shaft play and it was fine on my car. One thing to add is when I bought the Audi, no one was talking about the PCV going out prematurely. People were having them die around 50k when I finally read stuff about it. Mine made it further than that, but was still a $2200 job to replace.

After the Audi thing and not having warranty with potential known issues, one thing I did get on the ZL1 was an extended warranty. oil pump would be replaced regardless of that, but makes me feel better for the next 75k miles in general.
- RotoFab Dry, Forgestar CF5V (ZLE Spec), Eibach Pro, AeroForce Interceptor, GT4 Tow Hook
- Carbon Fiber (Satin): Radio, Shifter, Steering Wheel Controls, Shifter Top, AC Vents, Side Mirrors & Shark Fin
2022 Suzuki Hayabusa - Brilliant White Pearl & Shocker Yellow Wheels
- +4 Arm, 240 OEM Wheel, Brock's CT (Ti) Exhaust, 1.25" drop, etc...
infinitereality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 11:18 AM   #791
jvandy50

Drives: 18 ZL1-1LE, 10 JKU
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitereality View Post
We have similar cars, both 2018 and 11/17 build dates. I had 4145 when I bought it a few weeks ago and now have 5400. I also was very concerned when buying one since I saw this prior, only looked at '19-up ones. An '18 popped up, a great deal I couldn't pass it up so purchased it knowing the drivetrain would be good for 5yrs if it did happen. I'll be testing it for you, lol.

While I am concerned about it, especially being stuck on the side of the road with my family with no AC, I give myself a 50/50 shot if it does. I am daily driving mine, so I will should find out something either way before 2023.

For what it's worth, I had a '14 Audi S7. The 13/14 S6/S7 had turbo issues, about $5k issue if out of warranty (which I was) and had it done by an indy shop. FYI was likely due to the oil screen being too fine and clogging. No one had engine damage, just had to replace turbos. Audi would never admit being at fault, but they had something like 7 oil screen revisions so that kind of proves they knew of the issue. Just crossed my fingers. I got rid of it at 90k and no turbo issue. The PCV died few months before I got rid of it so got to inspect the impeller shaft play and it was fine on my car. One thing to add is when I bought the Audi, no one was talking about the PCV going out prematurely. People were having them die around 50k when I finally read stuff about it. Mine made it further than that, but was still a $2200 job to replace.

After the Audi thing and not having warranty with potential known issues, one thing I did get on the ZL1 was an extended warranty. oil pump would be replaced regardless of that, but makes me feel better for the next 75k miles in general.
i read all that and all i got out of it was you have an SLC lol...any build thread or pics anywhere? (coming from a replaced voodoo, i get it)

to stay on topic, my updated OEM pump is running just a tad lower PSI than the one i took out. no issues, just another data point.
jvandy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 11:51 AM   #792
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by semif18 View Post
So this is my take. First off, the motor is under warranty through 2023, so you shouldn't be afraid to just rip on it. If the pump fails it will be replaced. Second, and this is where I will get blasted but let's talk numbers. So far there's been what, 35 reported failures (or something close to that) on this forum for 2018s. I don't know how many ZL1 drivers are on this forum, but there are over 6100 2018s running around, obviously not all on this forum. We don't know the true percentage, but I have a suspicion that it's actually not that high, nobody really knows. GM to my knowledge has not acknowledged any issues with oil pumps (I'm very aware of Z06 cooling issues that went unacknowledged). My point, I wouldn't spend one second worrying about it. Go rip on the car like it's supposed to and like I said, if on the rare chance the pump fails, take it to the dealer to be replaced at no cost. After 2023 spend the $ and buy a Katech pump and all is good! I have a 2018 and I floor it when the road allows! I don't worry one second about the oil pump.
As far as Katech is concerned, they need to prove their design, material(s) or workmanship is superior to the latest and greatest 2019+ GM pumps. A rep from their company stated he’d post up why the original pumps were failing. Since then it’s been crickets. If theirs is truly superior, tell us why 2017-2018 pumps failed / what’s different about your pumps…(Katech).
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 12:37 PM   #793
infinitereality
Limitless Imagination

Drives: 2018 ZL1 & 2022 Hayabusa
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvandy50 View Post
i read all that and all i got out of it was you have an SLC lol...any build thread or pics anywhere? (coming from a replaced voodoo, i get it)

to stay on topic, my updated OEM pump is running just a tad lower PSI than the one i took out. no issues, just another data point.
Haha, but I can understand. More of a mod thread than build, since I ended up sending it off. https://www.gt40s.com/threads/dels-b...lc-ir-8.50967/

I will admit I do keep an eye on my oil pressure, kind of wish I didn't have to. But I'm not willing to test to see if the warranty will pay for a new a engine too, lol.
- RotoFab Dry, Forgestar CF5V (ZLE Spec), Eibach Pro, AeroForce Interceptor, GT4 Tow Hook
- Carbon Fiber (Satin): Radio, Shifter, Steering Wheel Controls, Shifter Top, AC Vents, Side Mirrors & Shark Fin
2022 Suzuki Hayabusa - Brilliant White Pearl & Shocker Yellow Wheels
- +4 Arm, 240 OEM Wheel, Brock's CT (Ti) Exhaust, 1.25" drop, etc...
infinitereality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 01:21 PM   #794
ZX-10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
As far as Katech is concerned, they need to prove their design, material(s) or workmanship is superior to the latest and greatest 2019+ GM pumps. A rep from their company stated he’d post up why the original pumps were failing. Since then it’s been crickets. If theirs is truly superior, tell us why 2017-2018 pumps failed / what’s different about your pumps…(Katech).
+10

Why isn't a Katech customer(s) on here bugging them until they post something. If it's a better pump and I had a '17 or '18 I would be at their door - they also said the '19+ pump probably isn't much stronger
Old 07-16-2021, 06:08 PM   #795
Camaro1973

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-10R View Post
+10

Why isn't a Katech customer(s) on here bugging them until they post something. If it's a better pump and I had a '17 or '18 I would be at their door - they also said the '19+ pump probably isn't much stronger

Probably because they have no real data and they are just guessing? I dont know anyone with a 2019+ with a failed oil pump personally and I dont think ive seen anyone even post on here besides a poll that they indeed had a failure.

2017's Were getting reports as early as 2017 and 2018 that they were failing. Its 3 years now since 19's and pretty much nothing.

LME 377 LT4 Short Block | Magnuson 2650 80mm upper w/13% lower (9.06) | DSX Lid & Valve Covers | CSP Custom Cam w/32% fuel lobe | CID Heads | NW 103mm TB | Roto Fab Big Gulp | CSP 2" Headers w/Green GESI Gen 2 Cats | Borla 3" Full Cat Back w/ S-Type| Mighty Mouse Wild Catch Can| Custom Holley Low side Fuel system| TooHigh PSI Port Injection w/Holley Controller | Forced Inductions Interchiller w/2 gallon fender tank | TK Performance built 10L90
Camaro1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 11:00 PM   #796
semif18

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE White
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-10R View Post
You have to balance this with the fact that most ZL1s are garage queens with very low miles. It takes time for the oil pump to form stress cracks and fail. For '17s and 18's it seems to be more of "when" not "if" - it may be 30k+ miles in some cases. I might add warming up the oil/engine completely before you get on it is always a good idea, and that takes longer than coolant temps of course.

Means nothing - they don't want to invite a class action lawsuit if they don't recall every car from years affected

That was mainly a track issue and it won't destroy your engine! Apples and oranges
So you know the 6100+ owners of 2018s and how many miles are on their cars? You say you are stating a "Fact".......I'm curious how you know this is fact? Sorry my friend you don't know that "most ZL1s are garage queens with very low miles". It might be a fair point, but you gotta be reasonable when claiming a "fact".

Fair point about the class action lawsuit, I agree with this.

I was just pointing the issue about the Z06 out to go along with my comment about GM not acknowledging an oil pump issue.
semif18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 11:11 PM   #797
jvandy50

Drives: 18 ZL1-1LE, 10 JKU
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitereality View Post
Haha, but I can understand. More of a mod thread than build, since I ended up sending it off. https://www.gt40s.com/threads/dels-b...lc-ir-8.50967/

I will admit I do keep an eye on my oil pressure, kind of wish I didn't have to. But I'm not willing to test to see if the warranty will pay for a new a engine too, lol.
Appreciate the link sir!

And yeah after a gt350 using a quart every 350 miles, and now an 18 model zl1...i watch all things oil obsessively lol
jvandy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 12:52 PM   #798
Dave777

Drives: 1985 Z28
Does using the non AC Delco oil filter have anything to do with oil pump failure ?

I doubt Ktech can prove their pump is must better than OEM.
Dave777 is offline   Reply With Quote