Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-07-2021, 07:49 PM   #15
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by G2K View Post
Almost purchased 2 used KEy 200.4 and 500.1 for a steal but someone got to it first.. bummer... so plan is still to get the kenwood... now for the last part...

Anyone have any pics of rear deck mounted subs... as Mquared suggestion I know the audiofrogs are infinite baffle... I also learned the kicker CompR are also like this.

Has anyone mounted subs on the rear deck? what size as the 8" wont fit without cutting or is there an adaptor that I don't know about?

Any pics, links... any help appreciated.
A discussion with someone else on the same topic pointed out to me that the factory 6x9s for the Bose system mount from above. I would expect that to be impossible for 8" drivers. I would plan to mount them from underneath. I'm guessing that will entail drilling four holes in the rear deck sheet metal to mount each driver, dropping screws through the top. I would think you could get away with not enlarging the main openings for the 6x9s, but I would defer to anyone who has more experience in this realm.

The only Kicker Comp series subs I see that are designed for free-air use are the CompC. You'd probably want the 44CWCS84, which is an 8" sub with 4ohm impedance. That way, you can wire two in parallel from your amp and still be at 2ohm impedance, which is the lowest impedance that Kenwood amp is rated for. Again, I would defer to anyone else who has more experience and knowledge here.
Old 06-24-2021, 09:55 AM   #16
G2K
@Blackmamba_1LE

Drives: 2017 1LE
So after 20 days from install... and reading and asking for quotes for shops around... im so pissed off. Everywhere im being quoted 1400-1600 bucks for a damn sub and 5 channel amp...

I'm constantly getting pitched the audio control LC5-1300 I always ask about the kicker key and they all respond with "meh" even the local kicker guys are like... "i really dont like them" why; the explanation for me is a bit to technical but in simpler terms their only attractive is their price point "THATS IT" everything else is mediocre at best...

So damn something I thought I'd be solving with 1K or less... now I'm going to have to be about 2K (including the cost of the door speakers when all said and done....

I don't like spending twice even though I work with a budget so I guess im just going to have to save up and get the recommended stuff I've been suggested from the local pros.

BTW this are shops that have in stock everything and priced just as online pricing, no markups so no reason to upsell me anything I don't need (at least I don't think so)
Old 06-24-2021, 06:53 PM   #17
Msquared

That LC5-1300 will very likely sound better than the Kicker KEY amps just in terms of tone, and certainly it provides more power. It also appears to provide a way to actively cross over the door and dash speakers and run the sub (they call it a "three-way" setup). What it won't give you that the KEY200.4 does is equalizer and time delay functions. So I honestly don't know if it the whole system will sound as well integrated as with the Kicker amps unless you also add a DSP unit.

If you do all that and use commensurately good (and expensive) speakers, you'll have a tier higher sound quality than I do for sure. If you do all that and use the Kenwood speakers you have and a similar-level sub(s), I don't know. Like anything, there are levels to this game.

I almost forgot, I was going to link you to some video of a pro installer who thinks the KEY amps are awesome. Here's when they installed the KEY180.4 in a Ford Escape. And here's when they tested the updated KEY200.4. These guys do installs the run the gamut from very inexpensive modest upgrades to competition sound systems. Finally, here's a video on the KEY500.1 that they installed in that same Escape. I think their impressions of these amps is genuine.

Last edited by Msquared; 06-24-2021 at 07:46 PM.
Msquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 02:02 PM   #18
G2K
@Blackmamba_1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
That LC5-1300 will very likely sound better than the Kicker KEY amps just in terms of tone, and certainly it provides more power. It also appears to provide a way to actively cross over the door and dash speakers and run the sub (they call it a "three-way" setup). What it won't give you that the KEY200.4 does is equalizer and time delay functions. So I honestly don't know if it the whole system will sound as well integrated as with the Kicker amps unless you also add a DSP unit.

If you do all that and use commensurately good (and expensive) speakers, you'll have a tier higher sound quality than I do for sure. If you do all that and use the Kenwood speakers you have and a similar-level sub(s), I don't know. Like anything, there are levels to this game.

I almost forgot, I was going to link you to some video of a pro installer who thinks the KEY amps are awesome. Here's when they installed the KEY180.4 in a Ford Escape. And here's when they tested the updated KEY200.4. These guys do installs the run the gamut from very inexpensive modest upgrades to competition sound systems. Finally, here's a video on the KEY500.1 that they installed in that same Escape. I think their impressions of these amps is genuine.
100% true on "theres levels to this" I just wish I had someone close where I can actually hear them (kicker keys) in action in a Camaro... I might just be looking into this to much and they might be sufficient for what I want... BUT I HATE SPENDING TWICE... So I don't want to go and buy the kickers and then be like "oh man, this isn't enough" and end up spending even more money.... talk about 1st world problems huh, LOL.

I actually saw their videos... I really like their work and install but haven't been able to communicate with them and get a quote. It's been imposable. Called twice Dean is always unavailable, emails, heck I even joined their IG live videos and all I get was call or email.... They are super busy... heck all darn shops are busy... the ones I got quotes from all are 4-5 weeks out :P

Last edited by G2K; 06-25-2021 at 02:33 PM.
G2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 04:40 PM   #19
G2K
@Blackmamba_1LE

I must add part of why this last shop was recommending me the LC5-1300 was being that I wanted the least amount of weight possible and simplicity he said all in costs of adding the Kenwood Excelon x802-5 that I'm interested in it would need some type of LOC like the LC7i so adding more costs of purchase and install while the the LC5-1300 is an all in unit making everything look cleaner (less devises, wiring, etc) which ends up to about the same about of $$ for a "lesser" amp.

I actually didn't think of this question at that moment, but is it possible to hook up just the Kenwood amp using the Gen5diy speaker output and it would work? without any LOC? What would this cause if I were to hook it up this way?
Old 06-26-2021, 08:12 PM   #20
Msquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2K View Post
I must add part of why this last shop was recommending me the LC5-1300 was being that I wanted the least amount of weight possible and simplicity he said all in costs of adding the Kenwood Excelon x802-5 that I'm interested in it would need some type of LOC like the LC7i so adding more costs of purchase and install while the the LC5-1300 is an all in unit making everything look cleaner (less devises, wiring, etc) which ends up to about the same about of $$ for a "lesser" amp.

I actually didn't think of this question at that moment, but is it possible to hook up just the Kenwood amp using the Gen5diy speaker output and it would work? without any LOC? What would this cause if I were to hook it up this way?
Yes, that Kenwood amp you linked accepts speaker-level inputs - no need for an LOC. So do the Kicker amps. The Kenwood amp doesn't have the active crossover abilities that the LC5-1300 has. The Kicker combo (200.4 and 500.1) also allows active crossovers and adds EQ and time delays with automated calibration. The LC5-1300 weighs 7.2lbs, the Kenwood weighs 4.6lbs, and the two Kickers together weigh 4.9lbs. I'm not sure what that shop is talking about.
Old 07-07-2021, 12:30 PM   #21
G2K
@Blackmamba_1LE

So, after lurking on eBay I found shops with offer options and was able to pull some deals... got the LC5.1300 and a Kicker L7T loaded enclosure on the way...

Now to plan on the install and tuning part of it... Should I do front/rear... or do front stage.... I kinda want to have all speakers on the amp... dash, doors and rears... but I've never had a proper front stage so don't know if the difference would be worth loosing the extra volume in the rears. Reading some more and watching videos before installing as its my first time dealing with this amp and it looks like it has tons of settings/options
Old 07-13-2021, 10:31 PM   #22
deathbyc4

Drives: 18 camaro 1ss 1le
I picked up a D-6.1200 and recently ordered a non amped breakout harness from gen 5 diy to handle all the mid to high audio in my 1le. Got the 6.1200 for $760 (typically 950-1000). Still working on what to do about bass, maybe an lc-1.800 and a kicker q 12.

This to me seems to be the least complex and possibly cheapest high end route and still having a DSP, and possibly door chime removal.
deathbyc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 09:53 AM   #23
BundiMan
The Nights Watch

Drives: 22 ZL1 M6 Vert
BundiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 09:06 AM   #24
G2K
@Blackmamba_1LE

So update on this... I had installed the Audiocontrol LC5.1300 together with the Kicker's L7T Loaded enclosure... and man oh man am I happy... With the exhaust vales closed and music turned up to around 60-70% the exhaust noise gets completely drained out...

I am so happy, the kenwoods or maybe the shop installer tuned them where I can actually crank it to 100% and hear NO distortion... I was amazed about that however for me its too loud... Im in love.

Amp was hidden on the rear left side the amp fits perfectly flat on that spot and the sub being thin looks good and still have plenty of trunk space.. however I think I might put a grill on it just to avoid any damage.

All in im about about $1000 without labor cost... Wow, sounds 10x better than I expected.

P.S. for the weight junkies... Added weight is about 40lbs most of it being the sub and I made it easily removable.

Last edited by G2K; 08-06-2021 at 10:10 AM.
G2K is offline   Reply With Quote