Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-28-2021, 07:39 AM   #29
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azerlazer26 View Post
Magnetic ride control was a MUST HAVE for me. Best way I can describe it is it’ll drive like a Cadillac and corner like a corvette when needed. This is a feature where you cannot get it installed outside of factory (well at least to my knowledge).

The NPP dual mode exhaust system (quad tip) is another great feature to get.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
If I was looking for the best bang(s) for buck: 1SS with no options - Upgrade to AWE dual axle back exhaust, upgrade to aftermarket speakers, amp, upgrade seats to after market covers (or order with recaro’s). Add other bits and pieces as you see fit. Wheels, tires, splitter, side skirts, paint protection film, rock guards. Consider ordering with the trunk lid the 1LE uses (so you can get the 1LE lip spoiler instead of the typical stock pedestal spoiler) This option is not available for convertibles.

I will say magnetic ride controls is nice for rougher roads, but non mag ride has a better more connected steering feel.
Magnetic Ride versus stock suspension in the SS goes something like this: The "Sport" setting for MagRide is pretty much what you will get out of the stock SS suspension. Flipping to "Tour" gets you just a bit smoother of a ride over lightly bumpy terrain (it's not even close to the sort of ride I would expect out of a Cadillac, and actually isn't even as smooth as my Silverado, but it is a nice improvement). "Track" setting will make the car 'stick' to the road a bit better for corners and such.

So, "Sport" is like the stock SS suspension, "Tour" is a little softer/smoother, and "Track" is a bit more grippy. They aren't huge differences but they matter.

Steering feel has little (if anything) to do with MagRide. The settings mentioned above will also change the steering feel (it's electric and variable). I've put my car into "Sport" mode for steering and switch the MagRide only with the settings switch.

With all of that said, I do like having MagRide in my car.

NPP is the one feature I don't have that I want, and am still seriously contemplating a trade to a 2022 to get it (along with a couple of other minor tweaks like eliminating the navigation option).

The rear view camera seems to be well-liked by those that own coupes, it's worthless to me in the convertible (too much glare with the top down). Mirrors and screens are different, and your eyes adjust to them differently when you move where you're looking to see behind you. So, it will take some getting used to.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 07:50 AM   #30
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
If I was doing it over I would get 2SS with NPP and MRC. The 2SS will have all the other features I would want.

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 08:00 AM   #31
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Random Guy View Post
I think I’m going white everything with the RS package.
RS package isn't available on the SS trims.

Quote:
Unfortunately I just learned the dealership here changed hands. I’m trying to track down the person we bought the Colorado from to see if he’s still there. I didn’t even have to haggle, I told him what my wife wanted when she got home from Afghanistan and he ordered exactly that and gave me a price under invoice. In/out in 15 minutes with a diesel redline on order and no surprises when she showed up to complete the purchase. I anticipate he’ll at least be honest with me about price he can offer under current market/management.
The world is different. While you probably still won't haggle, you're not getting any discounts. Or will only get minimal discounts.

Quote:
As for the convertible, I was only looking at it because when I test drove 1LS and 1SS back to back I was floored by the lack of visibility to the rear and sides.
Rear visibility in these cars is quite fine if you have your mirrors set up correctly. The most common issue with feeling like you can't see well enough behind you has to do with improper adjustment of the mirrors. Is the visibility lesser than in other vehicles? Yes. Is it as bad as the media makes it out to be? No.

Besides, you really only need to see the disappearing grille of the vehicle you just passed for a moment...
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 09:20 AM   #32
Some Random Guy

Drives: Jeep Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
RS package isn't available on the SS trims.

The world is different. While you probably still won't haggle, you're not getting any discounts. Or will only get minimal discounts.

Rear visibility in these cars is quite fine if you have your mirrors set up correctly. The most common issue with feeling like you can't see well enough behind you has to do with improper adjustment of the mirrors. Is the visibility lesser than in other vehicles? Yes. Is it as bad as the media makes it out to be? No.

Besides, you really only need to see the disappearing grille of the vehicle you just passed for a moment...
Yep, forgot the RS was from the 3LT builds. It is good to hear the mirrors are great with proper adjustment. I didn’t do a good job on the test rides, or maybe the small windows made me feel like I couldn’t see. As to your 3rd point, it is true that’s why I’m springing for the V8. Much easier to just downshift and accelerate to a point my blindspot is definitely empty.
Some Random Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 09:35 AM   #33
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
MRC is a GREAT option. Track setting is for hot rodding, tour for highway.

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 10:02 AM   #34
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Thanks again everyone. I think it will be a 2SS with magnetic and the NPP. I didn’t realize the dual exhaust had a quiet mode, I assumed it was loud and louder. Sorry I’m on a phone and can’t quote everyone.
I will probably be fine with the regular seats. I had the Alcantra in my last car and wasn’t crazy about it. I think I’m going white everything with the RS package.
Roads here are pretty good, but my commute is back roads so they’re not exactly new. Tires are not out of the question once I’ve had the vehicle a bit.
The key here is going to be in how well you know yourself.

Separate from advertising brochures/online advertising and the preferences of other people.

From your list of candidates I see only one "must have" . . .

Norm
Old 07-28-2021, 10:14 AM   #35
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Yep, forgot the RS was from the 3LT builds. It is good to hear the mirrors are great with proper adjustment. I didn’t do a good job on the test rides, or maybe the small windows made me feel like I couldn’t see. As to your 3rd point, it is true that’s why I’m springing for the V8. Much easier to just downshift and accelerate to a point my blindspot is definitely empty.
+1 on proper mirror adjustment, which completely eliminates highway blind spots and reduces the effect of C pillar interference otherwise.

Yes, this car has a cockpit feel to it that is clearly different from most others, but only you can judge for yourself whether this is a "bug or a feature", so to speak. Visibility "issues" melted into near oblivion for me after 10 minutes.

One thing to consider re the camera mirror, though, I'm not sure how old you are, but it's a screen and 40+ folks like myself can have problems adjusting their focus very quickly between a screen in our faces and distant objects through the windshield. Same thing as looking at your phone, then into the distance, then back at your phone etc. in quick succession.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
The key here is going to be in how well you know yourself.

Separate from advertising brochures/online advertising and the preferences of other people.

From your list of candidates I see only one "must have" . . .

Norm
This is very true, take what we say as mere input, then seriously consider your own true preferences and actual needs.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 10:49 AM   #36
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
I am happy with my option pkg, which echoes the recommendations you are getting here: 2SS + NPP + MRC

If I could change one thing, it would probably be worth trying to get different tires installed before you take the car home. Some dealers have done this. Since you are in WA, maybe you can make up some story about absolutely needing to drive this car in sub-30 degree temps.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 11:33 AM   #37
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
Magnetic Ride versus stock suspension in the SS goes something like this: The "Sport" setting for MagRide is pretty much what you will get out of the stock SS suspension. Flipping to "Tour" gets you just a bit smoother of a ride over lightly bumpy terrain (it's not even close to the sort of ride I would expect out of a Cadillac, and actually isn't even as smooth as my Silverado, but it is a nice improvement). "Track" setting will make the car 'stick' to the road a bit better for corners and such.

So, "Sport" is like the stock SS suspension, "Tour" is a little softer/smoother, and "Track" is a bit more grippy. They aren't huge differences but they matter.

Steering feel has little (if anything) to do with MagRide. The settings mentioned above will also change the steering feel (it's electric and variable). I've put my car into "Sport" mode for steering and switch the MagRide only with the settings switch.

With all of that said, I do like having MagRide in my car.

NPP is the one feature I don't have that I want, and am still seriously contemplating a trade to a 2022 to get it (along with a couple of other minor tweaks like eliminating the navigation option).

The rear view camera seems to be well-liked by those that own coupes, it's worthless to me in the convertible (too much glare with the top down). Mirrors and screens are different, and your eyes adjust to them differently when you move where you're looking to see behind you. So, it will take some getting used to.

Uh yea…you’re not right on the “steering feel comment”. Why you felt the need to jump in and try to correct this, is odd. (I’ve owned both cars mag and non mag). The difference is night and day. The mag ride most definitely mutes steering input feel, in all settings.(as compared to the non mag ride setup) Mag ride steering feels a just “bit” numb. Not bad by any means, but there is most definitely a difference.

I drove my Z Mag and the SS non mag back to back before my SS was loaded onto the truck. So, I know for certain what each feels like. Somewhere out there in the car reviews (back in 2015 or 2016) a major magazine reviewed both. In the end, they found that they liked the non mag ride better, on track, because of the “steering feel”. Otherwise, day to day mag ride is the obvious choice for most.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 01:40 PM   #38
JoeCamaro444

Drives: 2018 2SS M6 Hot Wheels Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
If I was doing it over I would get 2SS with NPP and MRC. The 2SS will have all the other features I would want.
Bingo! M6 2SS with NPP and Mag ride. 👍🏻
1988 IROC-Z (tons of mods), 1995 Z28, 1998 Z28, 2006 GTO, 2010 Camaro 1SS, 2015 Subaru STI, a couple Acuras and multiple Jeeps.
JoeCamaro444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 01:47 PM   #39
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
I went against the majority on my LT1, zero options and zero regrets. I have the lightest gen6 V8 camaro possible and none of the options available for the camaro interest me except for the 1LE option, but that is not offered on the LT1 trim anyway.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 02:06 PM   #40
gpskinzhut

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Recaros & 6-piston fronts maybe. But beyond that nothing. 2SS M6 non-MRC.

2017 ZL1 A10
2017 2SS M6: (SOLD) || 2014 2LT Convertible: (SOLD) || 2010 2LT M6 Supercharged:(SOLD) || 1987 IROC-Z 5.0 M5: (SOLD)
gpskinzhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 02:20 PM   #41
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Is the MRC in the Camaro Gen6 like the Adaptive Bilstein in the Challenger?

Touring = normal-ish
Sport = F250
Track = Dump truck

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 02:43 PM   #42
CamaroChriSS

Drives: 16 1SS M6 Black -previous 00 Z28 M6
I have a 1SS with NPP. Only thing I might think I regret is mag ride, as I realize it's much more than just for track use, but I've never actually ridden with mag ride so I don't really miss it. Bells and whistles of a 2SS are nice I'm sure, but what is that? Special lighting, heated seats, and HUD? Nothing that I lose sleep over.
CamaroChriSS is offline   Reply With Quote