Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 07-28-2021, 03:08 PM   #43
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
No features skipped here, and no regrets
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 04:51 PM   #44
Staves

Drives: women crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEornothing View Post
I went against the majority on my LT1, zero options and zero regrets. I have the lightest gen6 V8 camaro possible and none of the options available for the camaro interest me except for the 1LE option, but that is not offered on the LT1 trim anyway.
Smart man.
Old 07-28-2021, 05:11 PM   #45
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
Uh yea…you’re not right on the “steering feel comment”. Why you felt the need to jump in and try to correct this, is odd. (I’ve owned both cars mag and non mag). The difference is night and day. The mag ride most definitely mutes steering input feel, in all settings.(as compared to the non mag ride setup) Mag ride steering feels a just “bit” numb. Not bad by any means, but there is most definitely a difference.

I drove my Z Mag and the SS non mag back to back before my SS was loaded onto the truck. So, I know for certain what each feels like. Somewhere out there in the car reviews (back in 2015 or 2016) a major magazine reviewed both. In the end, they found that they liked the non mag ride better, on track, because of the “steering feel”. Otherwise, day to day mag ride is the obvious choice for most.
Steering control and MagRide are independently controlled. By default, they are "linked" at the factory so that both adjust at the same time when you toggle through the mode settings, but that doesn't have to be the case.

From the manual for Sport Mode, as an example: "When Sport Mode is selected, the transmission may downshift to a lower gear for better performance. The transmission will continue to shift automatically but can hold a lower gear longer than it would in the Tour Mode based on braking, throttle input, and vehicle lateral acceleration. See Automatic Transmission 0 183. The steering will change to provide more precise control. If the vehicle has Magnetic Ride Control, the suspension will change to provide better cornering performance. If the vehicle is equipped with Active Exhaust, the exhaust valves will open earlier and more often."

The attached page from the manual shows the specific settings that will be used if Steering / MagRide are set to follow the mode, but they are also the settings that you can "fix" them to if you prefer. The change to the steering feel does not require the car to be MagRide equipped.
Attached Images

ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 05:32 PM   #46
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staves View Post
My '19 is a 1SS A10 with zero options. $35K discounted plus I owned a Mustang at the time so got that rebate too. So $33K was what I paid. I put a Borla S-type axleback on afterward which sounds better than the NPP option IMO and costs about the same.

Ride quality in stock form is great. Never once have I wished I could change it or soften it up, not once and I've taken 800 mi trips in my car. Visibility is a non-issue. Hate leather....love cloth. Not a single option I wish I had to be honest. I'd get my car the exact same way again. So probably not helpful to you, lol.
I had MRC in my last 3 Camaros before the LT1. I agree it is cool, but not a big difference maker. Stiff springs are stiff springs. I went for less things to break while I keep my LT1 until my last days I hope. I do not miss MRC at all. I do miss the HUD in my 3 previous Camaros with GPS directions. That is about it. NPP, Bose, Recaros, Sunroof, and M6 are musts for me as is black. I also dig the 0 useless spoilers and lighted sills. My wife picked the sills. Smart. I wuld have passed on them.
Old 07-28-2021, 05:44 PM   #47
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
Steering control and MagRide are independently controlled. By default, they are "linked" at the factory so that both adjust at the same time when you toggle through the mode settings, but that doesn't have to be the case.

From the manual for Sport Mode, as an example: "When Sport Mode is selected, the transmission may downshift to a lower gear for better performance. The transmission will continue to shift automatically but can hold a lower gear longer than it would in the Tour Mode based on braking, throttle input, and vehicle lateral acceleration. See Automatic Transmission 0 183. The steering will change to provide more precise control. If the vehicle has Magnetic Ride Control, the suspension will change to provide better cornering performance. If the vehicle is equipped with Active Exhaust, the exhaust valves will open earlier and more often."

The attached page from the manual shows the specific settings that will be used if Steering / MagRide are set to follow the mode, but they are also the settings that you can "fix" them to if you prefer. The change to the steering feel does not require the car to be MagRide equipped.

That’s nice of you attach the factory nomenclature…I do understand how the two systems are linked and your response has nothing to do with what I’m was trying say. In an non mag ride SS, regardless of what steering feel you adjust to, it always has a bit more road feel than a mag ride car (regardless of modes). It’s that simple, that’s what I was saying. I have no idea why you’d try to correct someone that has owned both cars.

To your earliest note ; something along the lines of: mag ride has little or nothing to do with the steering, it’s electric. EVERYTHING has to do steering- let’s start with just a few : size / type weight of tires and wheels, shocks, struts, springs, ride height, alignment… and the list goes and on. None of those have anything to do with the fact the steering is electric…

Last edited by Chutzpah; 07-28-2021 at 06:07 PM.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 07:37 PM   #48
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
That’s nice of you attach the factory nomenclature…I do understand how the two systems are linked and your response has nothing to do with what I’m was trying say. In an non mag ride SS, regardless of what steering feel you adjust to, it always has a bit more road feel than a mag ride car (regardless of modes). It’s that simple, that’s what I was saying. I have no idea why you’d try to correct someone that has owned both cars.

To your earliest note ; something along the lines of: mag ride has little or nothing to do with the steering, it’s electric. EVERYTHING has to do steering- let’s start with just a few : size / type weight of tires and wheels, shocks, struts, springs, ride height, alignment… and the list goes and on. None of those have anything to do with the fact the steering is electric…
I get what you're saying. My point was that the predominant factor in whether your steering felt heavy or light was controllable by the electric power steering components. Yes, all of the things that you mention factor in as part of the final feel, and MagRide will diminish certain aspects because of what it does.

Ultimately, I believe we're describing things a bit differently because we're describing somewhat different (but related) things.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 08:52 PM   #49
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
I get what you're saying. My point was that the predominant factor in whether your steering felt heavy or light was controllable by the electric power steering components. Yes, all of the things that you mention factor in as part of the final feel, and MagRide will diminish certain aspects because of what it does.

Ultimately, I believe we're describing things a bit differently because we're describing somewhat different (but related) things.
Alrighty then
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 07:00 AM   #50
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:

I think we need to separate steering "weight" from steering "feel" here. They are not the same thing.

Typically, heavy steering with EPAS masks some of the feel that manages to get through in the first place. I suppose that the little that does get through EPAS systems is still better than what got through some of the no-feel hydraulic power assisted steering systems of the early 1960s, but that's not much of a compliment.

I sure noticed the weight and loss of feel in the 1SS I drove a while back (track mode). Steering seemed to be mostly about steering wheel position rather than about feedback from the front tires.

Norm
Old 07-29-2021, 09:05 AM   #51
pzoom

Drives: 2021 SS 1LE SHOCK
1LE here...maybe PDR and cooled seats?

This is my first car in a long time without a sunroof, but I'd rather have the "reverse mohawk" vs a "flat top".
pzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 09:57 AM   #52
plus1zero
Don't tread on me

Drives: 23 Sierra X31, Past 2017 Fifty 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Random Guy View Post
Hey team, new member here!

I’m getting close to ordering a Camaro after my BRZ was wrecked at a red light. Are there any features you regret skipping? I’m all over the place on potential builds, so here are the candidates:

2SS Coupe Manual Transmission and magnetic ride control (top candidate)
LT1 Convertible M/T and technology package
3LT Convertible M/T V6, Hd cooling/brake

I’ve never tracked a car, so I probably won’t track this one. I feel like the 2SS with the fancy rearview and the blindspot monitoring is worth it because I dodge the convertible tax I was paying on the other 2 for increased visibility.
That being said, I’d love input on what features you think are must-haves after some time with yours. Also, are there any much easier to do on your own? For instance, is the Magnetic ride or a similar aftermarket simple enough to install I can skip it from the factory?
Thanks for the insight/wisdom!
If you're already considering a V8, take that 3LT off your list. You will regret it, quick, if you're already debating "should I get the V8?"

My list of must-haves:

2SS
NPP exhaust
MRC
Coupe

I don't care about a moon roof, don't want a vert, auto/manual either one is fine with me. I think the leather looks way better than the cloth and the SS emblem is sick, I also really like the RGB lights. Bose system is okay, if it wasn't standard on 2SS I'd consider one without it and throw in some decent aftermarket speakers. Anything else you wanted cosmetic wise you could add yourself.
plus1zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 01:10 PM   #53
BLU

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS
1SS with NPP and MRC. Regret not getting the 1LE package.....Still regretting after 2 years. Otherwise, the car is pretty awesome despite the annoying rear bumper cover flaring out when it's hot out.
BLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 03:09 PM   #54
BLACK21SS
Oldman w/a teenager brain

Drives: 2022 ZL1 A10
My 2SS has:

A10
NPP
MRC

It rides incredible. The only thing it’s missing is a supercharger.
BLACK21SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 09:30 PM   #55
AmazinglySmooth

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
I have a 2018 1SS 1LE. It has everything I want, but I would like blind spot mirrors to make lane changes easier in traffic.
AmazinglySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 12:25 PM   #56
pzoom

Drives: 2021 SS 1LE SHOCK
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazinglySmooth View Post
I have a 2018 1SS 1LE. It has everything I want, but I would like blind spot mirrors to make lane changes easier in traffic.
I bought the tiny convex mirrors that stick on and they work extremely well.

I had a 3rd gen convertible and it was really bad with the top up. The 6th is like a glass dome compared to that car. Anyway, I started using the bubble mirrors and just got used to it.

Last edited by pzoom; 07-31-2021 at 03:19 PM.
pzoom is offline   Reply With Quote