Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 07-28-2021, 09:07 AM   #29
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin19 View Post
Leads me to a question I have not seen here. Can a painted hood insert have the paint removed to show the CF?
Doubtful, but never say never. Not sure about 6 gens but on 5th gens the ECF inserts were hand picked from the 'perfect' laydown of the weave, while the imperfect ones were painted. So even if you could remove the paint, the weave might look like a den of snakes trying to kick each others asses.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 09:12 AM   #30
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
I didn't have to read further than that being your first new car.

I can relate. This car is my first new car, and I was appreciative of what it took to get here and proud I could achieve the feat on my dream car.

It's your money, and the boss-lady said "OK" so it seems you are in a great situation to do whatever you feel like you should. Good on you.
Thanks bud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZorro View Post
STOP TALKING AND DO IT ...!!!
They don’t have it yet. Otherwise I’d probably be over there today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
Doubtful, but never say never. Not sure about 6 gens but on 5th gens the ECF inserts were hand picked from the 'perfect' laydown of the weave, while the imperfect ones were painted. So even if you could remove the paint, the weave might look like a den of snakes trying to kick each others asses.
I think I remember something about them being gel coated on the exposed ones, might be wrong though.

The parts themselves is only a $30 difference while the ECF option was like $600. Have to look at my window sticker again.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 10:01 AM   #31
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Quote:
Well if you don’t put a deposit on it - it will be gone in a heartbeat that I can tell you for sure
Sales manager said I am first in line for it. They put a hold tag in the packet & it’s on their board with my name on it. Could be lying though.
Old 07-28-2021, 10:23 AM   #32
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfoxy View Post
Sales manager said I am first in line for it. They put a hold tag in the packet & it’s on their board with my name on it. Could be lying though.
Happen to have the VIN or Stock #? I'll check GM Global.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 10:36 AM   #33
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
Happen to have the VIN or Stock #? I'll check GM Global.
Already did that.

Add: Maybe you’re talking something different, but it just says “In Route”.

Last edited by gtfoxy; 07-28-2021 at 11:04 AM.
Old 07-28-2021, 10:38 AM   #34
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Quote:
So I literally just got off the phone with my dealer - and he said the Wild Cherry ZL1 1LE I ordered with A10 will be built the week of August 16th barring any unforeseen circumstances ... the car was ordered on 6/18 and factory picked it up on 7/18 for those wanting to get an idea on timeframes. As you well know dealers get limited allocation slots for these beasts and it goes by prior sold units who gets what. Dealer I’m doing business with in a small shop and they got two (2) slots I filled one not sure on the other.
Very Nice!

What other options did you get?
Old 07-28-2021, 10:48 AM   #35
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
It's your money and your choice. At the end of the day, if it will make you happy and if you will be satisfied with your decision then go for it. But I have to express the same thought as others have. Regardless of color, it is the same exact car. There is nothing different besides color and the stated year. If it makes any difference, the new one was probably manufactured within months of the one you have. They probably sat in the same large lot before one got slapped with a "2019" MY and the other got a "2021" MY. So quite honestly after all is said and done you will have shelled out more money for the same exact car. That is just being pragmatic. I will admit tho that these purchases very rarely exist within the realm of reason.

I would like a new HC. But if I was to get a new one it would be the RE or SuperStock. For sure not another standard Hellcat like I have now. So I would suggest perhaps swapping over to a different car that is on a similar level. C7 Z06 for starters. That would be a nice upgrade. Or maybe put in an order for a C8. Or hold out until the C8 Z06 arrives. But I would never make such a purchase. My ZL1 is a 17 and I won't upgrade because the new ones are still the same exact car as I have.
What I find funny is when ZL1 folks still have the upgrade bug I've been wrangling with on my 2SS, except they have nothing to upgrade to when they also want to stay stock, so they just change model years

As you said, it's essentially the same car apart from the new electronics that is a must for some and a meh for others.

gtfoxy, this is not a stab at you in any way, I appreciate your decision and hope you'll love your new 2022

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 11:09 AM   #36
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Not true, on same car, stop the BS
It is the same damn car. YOU stop the BS. There were no significant changes on anything in the 6th Gen ZL1 from 17 til now. Just a few minor appearance tweaks. Other than that there is nothing to say the 2021 or 2022 is vastly different. At least not enough that would warrant someone to feel the need to trade one in. The HC on the other hand has gone from 707 HP in the standard version to 797 in the RE and the SuperStock has over 800 HP. That aone is worth trading up for. Again, not the standard but the higher tiers. If the 2020 ZL1 had a 725 HP option then it would possibly be worth swapping for a newer one. But it doesn't.

Quote:
- and good for you if you don't want new that's your choice.
That's exactly what I said jack. I gave an account from how I felt and from what I would do. Get off your damn high horse boy.

Quote:
As far as the "Gimmick" cartoon show Dodges that all the hood boys buy - yeah go for it sounds like a great fit
I absolutely will if I feel like it. And if anyone gave a rat's ass about subjective comments then you'd be depressed and on psyche meds what with all the shit the Mustang boys have to say about the ZL1. Nobody GAF what you think. What's next? A basic "it's ugly" statement? Grow TF up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
What I find funny is when ZL1 folks still have the upgrade bug I've been wrangling with on my 2SS, except they have nothing to upgrade to when they also want to stay stock, so they just change model years

As you said, it's essentially the same car apart from the new electronics that is a must for some and a meh for others.

gtfoxy, this is not a stab at you in any way, I appreciate your decision and hope you'll love your new 2022
Exactly my point. The little in differences from the 17 to the 22, is it enough to rip someone out of a 17 and get a 22? I don't think so. All those changes are good for is convincing a new buyer to buy it over a used one. Again, if there were significant changes or a significant boost in HP then fine. As an example, the 15 GT had enough changes that made it a completely different car from the 14. So yes it was for sure a worthwhile swap. The 18 GT is vastly different in performance over the 15-17 GTs. If I had a 15-17 GT with a blower on it then it would probably be worth the change based on the differences in styling cues and the MySync3 and DFI and other changes that made it a vastly different car. Same with the 5th to 6th Gen SS and ZL1. They made vast changes and are worth the upgrade. But within the 6th Gen the only upgrade that is worth while is eight going from the LS or LT to SS or ZL1...or going from the SS to the ZL1. I do not think upgrading in the same trim is worth it. Now if he is upgrading to a ZLE then I say go for it and get a brand new one. But again, it is his money and his decision. I just personally never saw anything in the newer ZL1s that made me think trade-in.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 11:25 AM   #37
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
Quote:
Leads me to a question I have not seen here. Can a painted hood insert have the paint removed to show the CF?
I thought the standard insert was plastic

Quote:
I just personally never saw anything in the newer ZL1s that made me think trade-in.
For '17s and 18's oil pump failures (out of warranty) is a reason
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 11:30 AM   #38
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post

The mod bug is perpetual & has been for decades. This is how I cope with it. I’ve spent enough on cars & racing over the decades I could probably buy 2 new ZL1’s.

I understand many people aren’t too concerned with a warranty, but unfortunately my experiences in the last decade or so has taught me it’s value. I’ve had to put 10’s of thousands of dollars fixing work trucks & dealing with the headaches & frustration when those breakdowns impact my business. Like having to put 18K in a truck I paid 30K for. Yeah, I could have just sold it then but I’d have still lost 20K selling it with a blown motor. That’s not counting turbos, injectors & all the other crap that broke.

Now all I will have for the business is new. If something breaks it’s on them to fix it. Yeah, I spent $150K in new trucks (one 3, the other 4 years ago) & have another $80K one showing up in Aug & should be done at the upfitter in Sep. One more year & Ill probably be buying another one & selling or trading one. But the last 4yrs have gone exponentially better in terms of required maintenance.

It just got to a point that it bled over to my personal cars. Yeah, I could keep this one & be perfectly happy. At the same time the market is giving me an opportunity to go to a newer model year. If the bottom starts to drop out the ‘19 will drop farther beyond the gap of what I’m able to pay now. So, call it hedging my bet, if you will.

No offense taken bud. Hope you understand it a little more now.
Old 07-28-2021, 11:36 AM   #39
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Is it possible to sand the paint off? Yes. Would it look like sh!t? Yes.

While the exposed CF has a very thick clear coat (like millimeter or so thick), the painted CF seems nowhere near as thick and shows a little bit of the CF texture. Enough to know it's CF but not so much that it looks like a 50 year old vette survivor. If you were to sand off all the paint, you'd likely be well into the fiber layer.

My insert has Suntek Ultra PPF, but you can still see a little bit of the CF texture in the reflection on top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-10R View Post
Nope.
Attached Images

Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 03:35 PM   #40
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-10R View Post

For '17s and 18's oil pump failures (out of warranty) is a reason
Yea the 5 people who had the issue. Don't make it out to be that this was some major prevalent issue. Very few ZL1s had this problem. A much larger percentage of GT350s had oiling issues. A much larger percentage of HCs had supercharger failures. And a larger percentage of GT500s are having all sorts of problems from engine failures to God knows what else. The handful of ZL1s with oil pump problems is insignificant.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 05:00 PM   #41
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
Quote:
Very few ZL1s had this problem.
I hope you're right - time will tell, but seems to be a serious design flaw. Keep in mind most of these car are garage queens with < 25k miles, and it can take awhile for the failure to manifest itself.
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 09:10 PM   #42
Camaro1973

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Quote:
It is the same damn car. YOU stop the BS. There were no significant changes on anything in the 6th Gen ZL1 from 17 til now. Just a few minor appearance tweaks. Other than that there is nothing to say the 2021 or 2022 is vastly different. At least not enough that would warrant someone to feel the need to trade one in. The HC on the other hand has gone from 707 HP in the standard version to 797 in the RE and the SuperStock has over 800 HP. That aone is worth trading up for. Again, not the standard but the higher tiers. If the 2020 ZL1 had a 725 HP option then it would possibly be worth swapping for a newer one. But it doesn't.

That's exactly what I said jack. I gave an account from how I felt and from what I would do. Get off your damn high horse boy.

I absolutely will if I feel like it. And if anyone gave a rat's ass about subjective comments then you'd be depressed and on psyche meds what with all the shit the Mustang boys have to say about the ZL1. Nobody GAF what you think. What's next? A basic "it's ugly" statement? Grow TF up.

Exactly my point. The little in differences from the 17 to the 22, is it enough to rip someone out of a 17 and get a 22? I don't think so. All those changes are good for is convincing a new buyer to buy it over a used one. Again, if there were significant changes or a significant boost in HP then fine. As an example, the 15 GT had enough changes that made it a completely different car from the 14. So yes it was for sure a worthwhile swap. The 18 GT is vastly different in performance over the 15-17 GTs. If I had a 15-17 GT with a blower on it then it would probably be worth the change based on the differences in styling cues and the MySync3 and DFI and other changes that made it a vastly different car. Same with the 5th to 6th Gen SS and ZL1. They made vast changes and are worth the upgrade. But within the 6th Gen the only upgrade that is worth while is eight going from the LS or LT to SS or ZL1...or going from the SS to the ZL1. I do not think upgrading in the same trim is worth it. Now if he is upgrading to a ZLE then I say go for it and get a brand new one. But again, it is his money and his decision. I just personally never saw anything in the newer ZL1s that made me think trade-in.
I don’t like the rear end/tail lights on the 17/18’s , looks really dated to me but that’s probably not a big enough reason for me to upgrade if I had one.

LME 377 LT4 Short Block | Magnuson 2650 80mm upper w/13% lower (9.06) | DSX Lid & Valve Covers | CSP Custom Cam w/32% fuel lobe | CID Heads | NW 103mm TB | Roto Fab Big Gulp | CSP 2" Headers w/Green GESI Gen 2 Cats | Borla 3" Full Cat Back w/ S-Type| Mighty Mouse Wild Catch Can| Custom Holley Low side Fuel system| TooHigh PSI Port Injection w/Holley Controller | Forced Inductions Interchiller w/2 gallon fender tank | TK Performance built 10L90
Camaro1973 is offline   Reply With Quote