Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 08-19-2020, 09:51 PM   #29
suckamc

Drives: ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
The base one is easier to modify if you are an audiophile. If you are not, then I think the Bose is okay.

And heh, the V8 sound itself is music.
I thought it was the other way around. From reading tons, and it was on this site I'm sure, it's WAY better to start with the Bose system if you want to upgrade in the future. The base system is not only bad, but not ideal for any system upgrades. You want a better system in the future, definitely go with the Bose.

This incorrect? It's a shame they don't make it easier either way.
suckamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 04:04 AM   #30
PeteSS2018

Drives: 2018 2SS Camaro
The Bose system is not bad, if youre not expecting too much. I'd describe it as adequate, maybe 5/10. If thats not good enough for you, keep in mind its easy enough to upgrade if youre willing to spend the money, and it will certainly do for a while. If, when I bought it, they offered me a $900 saving from my car to have a smaller screen and lesser system, I'd have said no without having to think about it. Also keep in mind, when it comes to resale it'll probable make a difference ... although why would anyone sell their camaro right!?
PeteSS2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 06:36 AM   #31
ModernCamaroZ28Fan
LT1_Radenso

Drives: a 2 spd water bottle
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSS2018 View Post
The Bose system is not bad, if youre not expecting too much. I'd describe it as adequate, maybe 5/10. If thats not good enough for you, keep in mind its easy enough to upgrade if youre willing to spend the money, and it will certainly do for a while. If, when I bought it, they offered me a $900 saving from my car to have a smaller screen and lesser system, I'd have said no without having to think about it. Also keep in mind, when it comes to resale it'll probable make a difference ... although why would anyone sell their camaro right!?
Scary thing is that I actually see a lot of new camaro MYs get returned to dealers as used cars with low mileage. A surprising amount of people take this car back.

ModernCamaroZ28Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 06:36 PM   #32
PeteSS2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModernCamaroZ28Fan View Post
Scary thing is that I actually see a lot of new camaro MYs get returned to dealers as used cars with low mileage. A surprising amount of people take this car back.
Just guessing, but I reckon maybe these are people who want a cool car, but never owned a muscle car in their life, and find it a bit intimidating. Camaro is definitely not a car that all people will happily live with.
Old 08-20-2020, 07:45 PM   #33
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSS2018 View Post
Just guessing, but I reckon maybe these are people who want a cool car, but never owned a muscle car in their life, and find it a bit intimidating. Camaro is definitely not a car that all people will happily live with.
That could be. There are a lot of things about the car that make it a bad fit for someone that needs a multi-tasker of a vehicle. They may realize just how poorly it fits into the role of a daily driver when you need to be able to go to/from work, drive in all weather, get groceries, take the kids to soccer practice and pick them up, shlep everyone to the mall, etc.

For me, I bought it specifically as a weekend car and unless the weather supports putting the top down, it doesn't leave the garage. It's just the two of us and not being able to put anyone in the back seat (the convertible is worse than the coupe here because the side-to-side space is reduced because of the top) is a blessing in that we don't have to worry about being the taxi for the night. It fits very well into the way we (I) intended for it to be used.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 07:51 PM   #34
17rsvert

Drives: 2017 HBM 2LT RS Convertible V6 A8
I'm amazed at the range of responses/opinions about the Bose system. I find it's a good upgrade from the base systems in most cars. Of course there are better sounding custom installations that sound amazing, but I personally wouldn't describe the Bose sound as garbage. Highs could be a little crisper, and deep bass is a little lacking, but with certain (but not all) music, it sounds great.

To the OP; asking others whether it's worth it or not will probably not give YOU any kind of meaningful information. Your best bet is to drive cars with each system and decide for yourself. I said drive, because I don't think you can get a realistic sense of the quality of a sound system in a parked car, unless you plan on only listening when the car is parked.
17rsvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 11:43 PM   #35
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
That could be. There are a lot of things about the car that make it a bad fit for someone that needs a multi-tasker of a vehicle. They may realize just how poorly it fits into the role of a daily driver when you need to be able to go to/from work, drive in all weather, get groceries, take the kids to soccer practice and pick them up, shlep everyone to the mall, etc.

For me, I bought it specifically as a weekend car and unless the weather supports putting the top down, it doesn't leave the garage. It's just the two of us and not being able to put anyone in the back seat (the convertible is worse than the coupe here because the side-to-side space is reduced because of the top) is a blessing in that we don't have to worry about being the taxi for the night. It fits very well into the way we (I) intended for it to be used.
It is a driver’s car, not a car for the blind masses. The slight shake of the cam in the V8 at idle at a stop light is enough to send the average consumer into convulsions of something’s wrong with the car. That’s why they make the T-4 & V6 versions, but everything else you said applies.

Now as to the discussion at hand: I definitely like the better low frequency response of the Bose system compared to that of my last car. Granted I’ve only had a day to play with it but so far I like it.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 04:12 AM   #36
PeteSS2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by suckamc View Post
I thought it was the other way around. From reading tons, and it was on this site I'm sure, it's WAY better to start with the Bose system if you want to upgrade in the future. The base system is not only bad, but not ideal for any system upgrades. You want a better system in the future, definitely go with the Bose.

This incorrect? It's a shame they don't make it easier either way.
Upgrading the Bose system is a little more expensive because you have to interface to the MOST50 bus, but leave the Bose system in place, and put in a new amp/DSP/speakers as a group. You cant really replace just elements of it.

The thing is, you'd be less likely to want/have to upgrade it compared to the base system.
Old 08-21-2020, 09:09 AM   #37
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
the main overarching point is that you want the 8in display. speakers can be changed. entire systems can be replaced but upgrading from a 7in display to a 8in is not a service even gen5diy offers and no dealer is going to do it.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 07:07 PM   #38
Corky

Drives: 2019 1SS M6
I haven't looked at the 2021 option list yet...But did they do away with the IOS stereo option ?? That gives you the 8 inch screen and is the one that's supposedly easier to upgrade if that's your plan down the road...
Old 08-24-2020, 10:48 AM   #39
Spartan268

Drives: HB 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfoxy View Post
It is a driver’s car, not a car for the blind masses. The slight shake of the cam in the V8 at idle at a stop light is enough to send the average consumer into convulsions of something’s wrong with the car. That’s why they make the T-4 & V6 versions, but everything else you said applies.

Now as to the discussion at hand: I definitely like the better low frequency response of the Bose system compared to that of my last car. Granted I’ve only had a day to play with it but so far I like it.

Funny you mention the slight shake from the cam. In the week my wife took the car to work she said "Your car shakes after a start up, you should get it fixed". I had to her head a shake, told her this is what real power is on a pushrod V8. She's never sat in a proper one before and is use to the luxury sport sedans from Infiniti and BMW instead.

I've also compared the base speaker to the Bose ones as well during the buying process a few years back. The base speakers are noticeably worse compared to the Bose so it will be a worthwhile upgrade. The only exception to this is if you plan on installing your own aftermarket speakers, the base level system will be easier to work off of. Now is the Bose system the best available? Definitely not. In my non-audiophile opinion I'd say they are simply average. To me personally it gets muddled at times and the bass sometimes doesn't seem enough especially at higher volumes, surprisingly at lower volumes it's better.
Spartan268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 10:58 AM   #40
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfoxy View Post

Well supposedly there are people who got scared by the "VTEC kicked in yo" feeling in the S2000 and that's a 2.0L engine.

Gonna be honest, though, the first time I drove a rental C7 convertible A8, the engine shakes at idle and I thought something was wrong, until I got my own C7 and Camaro SS and they do that, too, though that rental seems to shake more(not too surprised seeing how most people treat rentals).

Sent from toaster or something

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 06:26 PM   #41
Zr8000

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
Had a 1SS with the larger screen and the base stereo. The base stereo is embarrassingly bad (worst car stereo I’ve heard since the 80’s) Zero clarity and no power. I now have the BOSE system, definitely better (really just OK) but not even close to a base VW GTI stereo @ 26K purchase price verse 67K for the ZL1.

The Bose is way to complicated and expensive to modify.

If I didn’t enjoy the exhaust note so much, I’d have to spend the $ to upgrade.
That’s what I have and it is awful. The car audio dealer said the Bose is not much better and they can do better for less so I have been collecting pieces. The Bose in my 2018 truck is not that great.
Zr8000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 06:40 PM   #42
3.8TransAM

Drives: SS 1LE, 89 TTA, 91 GTA, 91 Formula
It's too bad there is not a $900 credit to delete the screen :-(
3.8TransAM is offline   Reply With Quote