Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-11-2020, 02:37 PM   #1
UBB

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Key Code?

Bought my car and it only had one key FOB. Dealer charged a kings ransom for a blank and new transmitter. Want another small fortune to cut it and program. Found some directions online on programming but need the blank cut and local locksmith place needs a specific 'key code' before he can cut the key for me (at 1/4 the cost)

Anyone happen to know the code for a 2018?
UBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 04:00 PM   #2
Yellow Beast
TD

Drives: 2017 2SS, 2014 Mercedes C300
Each vehicle has a different key code for the blank. You need to bring your registration to the dealer and they cut it. No one else can cut the key. If all cars had the same key code there would be a lot of stolen cars out there lol.
Yellow Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 04:42 PM   #3
Sweptwing

Drives: 2017 2LT RS V6 M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by UBB View Post
Bought my car and it only had one key FOB. Dealer charged a kings ransom for a blank and new transmitter. Want another small fortune to cut it and program. Found some directions online on programming but need the blank cut and local locksmith place needs a specific 'key code' before he can cut the key for me (at 1/4 the cost)

Anyone happen to know the code for a 2018?
Can’t the locksmith use the key you have to cut a duplicate?
I bought a third fob from amazon and programmed it myself it took
About 30 seconds. There is a procedure in the manual for reprogramming all transmitters but it’s a little longer.
Old 08-11-2020, 10:00 PM   #4
17rsvert

Drives: 2017 HBM 2LT RS Convertible V6 A8
I bought a 3rd key fob with an un-cut key on Ebay for 40 bucks. Followed the programming instructions in the owners manual. A local locksmith cut the hard key for $25 using one of the original keys as a guide.

You can easily do this yourself for 60 to 80 bucks.
17rsvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:34 PM   #5
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
you can get a spare, with blank key from amazon for cheap. if you have a 17 and under, you can program a spare with just one in a few minutes. If you have an 18 and up, and only one key, it takes over 30 minutes at a minimum because of steps involved. in 18, they changed it to where you have to have 2 keys to quickly program another, whereas in 17 and under you just needed 1.

it's a pain in my whole ass I'll tell you what.
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:46 AM   #6
UBB

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosive View Post
you can get a spare, with blank key from amazon for cheap. if you have a 17 and under, you can program a spare with just one in a few minutes. If you have an 18 and up, and only one key, it takes over 30 minutes at a minimum because of steps involved. in 18, they changed it to where you have to have 2 keys to quickly program another, whereas in 17 and under you just needed 1.

it's a pain in my whole ass I'll tell you what.
I have an 18 with only one key. The locksmith can manually cut it but didn't want to really try. His laser machine doesn't have a software update with the 18's and up info he said.
UBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:49 AM   #7
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
The key code usually comes with the key set on a new car if it's what I'm thinking about. There's a little key tag in there some where. If you got it used it's probably long gone.
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote