Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-13-2018, 09:31 AM   #71
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
living in central florida i agree,I-4 and the surrounding roads are pretty bad.and the downpours we get dont help.if you were going 5 under and hydroplaned you should contest it.
You do realize the speed limit is only for optimal conditions don’t you? It’s not the speed for night, fog, heavy rain, snow, ice, etc... Doing “5 under” is meaningless in this situation. If it was so bad why didn’t the 8 cars in front of him crash as well? He was going to fast for the conditions present including tires and road surface, hence the loss of control and collision. That’s why I said I’d win this everyday. Reading the Florida statute it’s very similar to Pennsylvania’s and states maintaining control is the responsibility of the operator. I honestly think the trooper feels the same way I do and doesn’t want to pile on so he wants to take care of the OP.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:13 AM   #72
Soybeanrice

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
I said 50 mph as a max speed that I was going. Realistically I was probably going 45-50, but really I should’ve been going 35. I would like to get the height of the drop from the overpass back to the road... bet it’s at least half an inch.

I’m having a hard time finding similar optioned cars to get the value. Price is varying by a lot.

For example I’ve seen a 2014 2SS automatic, no sunroof for 17grand (before taxes) with 93k miles. Same dealer has a 2015 2SS automatic, no sunroof with 17k miles for 27grand.

Then on Carmax, any clean 13-15 Camaro 2SS is 25-29K
Even assuming Carmax does like an 8-10% markup it’s still a wide margin

Insurance has the base value at 23k
Soybeanrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:32 AM   #73
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
Stop at your dealer that you get along with and ask him to find a car like yours. They should be able to give you a printout of matches and what the realistic prices are that you can give to your insurance company to counter their offer.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 11:05 AM   #74
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
probably tires did play a big part in this.have seen my old honda del sol on I-4 towards daytona as the slowest car on the road when running 75.a couple of miles up the road i was passing vettes and camaros in the pouring rain,cruise control still on 75 but the little skinny tires grip better under extreme wet conditions.seems like OP has already had more punishment than was deserved under the circumstances though,its not like he was hauling butt through a school zone and hit a kid,or lost control while playing with his cell phone and driving.now he will probably lose money and have to find a replacement car.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 11:28 AM   #75
Yellow Bullet

Drives: 2017 Chevy Sonic RS 1.4T
I dont like driving any highways in rain. All the other roads in Florida are straight and flat regardless of how qell the were crafted.

2017 Sonic Mosaic Black RS 1.4T
Yellow Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:01 PM   #76
05Goat

Drives: 2005 Pontiac GTO
100% tires! Where was the sign that said when its raining the speed limit is 35? You crashed so they wanted to give you a ticket for something. Its all about money..
05Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 05:54 PM   #77
Foxfire15

Drives: 2015 2LT/RS BVM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Goat View Post
100% tires! Where was the sign that said when its raining the speed limit is 35? You crashed so they wanted to give you a ticket for something. Its all about money..

I could be wrong here, but I'm pretty sure most states have something on the books about driving speeds appropriate for the conditions. Having good tires is important of course, but the term "safe and prudent" comes to mind. Regardless, the damage is done now.
Foxfire15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 06:24 AM   #78
Matty Ice

Drives: 2015 SS/RS 1LE
In Wi we have a catch all violation- failing to maintain control of vehicle, which they love to use during snow storms. Like someone else posted, nobody else crashed so it couldn't be the road conditions. Hopefully you can get it at least pled down to a parking violation, got mine down to improper parking on a roadway(no points).
Matty Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:19 PM   #79
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
Stop at your dealer that you get along with and ask him to find a car like yours. They should be able to give you a printout of matches and what the realistic prices are that you can give to your insurance company to counter their offer.

When my daughter's car was wrecked our insurance sent us a list of ~20 comparable vehicles recently sold in the area. They offered the money for the most expensive one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxfire15 View Post
I could be wrong here, but I'm pretty sure most states have something on the books about driving speeds appropriate for the conditions. Having good tires is important of course, but the term "safe and prudent" comes to mind. Regardless, the damage is done now.

Certainly you have to slow for adverse conditions. Rain, snow, heavy traffic, etc.

Speed limits are meant for optimal conditions.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:31 AM   #80
TintcoatTrooper

Drives: '10 RJT 2ss *RIP* '13 CRT 1ss 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFred View Post
When my daughter's car was wrecked our insurance sent us a list of ~20 comparable vehicles recently sold in the area. They offered the money for the most expensive one.
Thats been my experience with 2 totaled vehicles as well.. they paid out full market price for the camaro at the time (21k) and paid over for the base model charger IMO.. we got it new for 25 n they paid out 22 w/ 50k miles on it.. market on a base model at the time was about 17 18 for a decent one so i dont think you have anything to worry about
TintcoatTrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 11:58 AM   #81
Soybeanrice

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Yeah, I just want to see their list. 23k seems about 1-1.5k off to me.

Talking to insurance Monday.
Soybeanrice is offline   Reply With Quote