Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-17-2018, 08:45 AM   #15
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Totaled....if you're a student working part time, and you have a bike for fun factor transportation, take the difference left after you pay off the note, and buy a decent fuel efficient used car to get you through school. Don't be foolish and get into a new car while you're working part time. Graduating with a degree in EE, you should find a job that will enable you to smartly buy what you want.
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:15 AM   #16
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddudesrule View Post
Totaled....if you're a student working part time, and you have a bike for fun factor transportation, take the difference left after you pay off the note, and buy a decent fuel efficient used car to get you through school. Don't be foolish and get into a new car while you're working part time. Graduating with a degree in EE, you should find a job that will enable you to smartly buy what you want.
Great advice. I had a 1986 SS Monte Carlo as my car the last 1/2 of my senior year (spring 1989). The reason was I was traveling to interviews to hunt a job. Prior to that, I had cars that I would run for a year and then sell to buddy for the demo derby at the county fair that summer. Hated having a nice car in the college environment.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 10:21 AM   #17
Soybeanrice

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty Ice View Post
It will be totaled, guaranteed. If your insurance asks you if you want to buy it back find out how much, you can make a couple of thousand. I wish I would have bought my 13 1le back, my insurance company offered 7K, I could have sold it to a guy on this forum for 10K and kept all my mods, not sure if you have any. That would have saved me $1500 right there. He buys stolen stripped out shells and uses all of the running gear and interior to complete the car.
The drivetrain up to possibly the axles are still okay. Definitely the ls3 and tr6060 are worth a pretty penny. I’m for sure bringing it up to the adjuster when it comes time. As for the mods... not sure they’ll get anything considering most were cosmetic and were wrecked.

I graduate in a year so maybe I’ll come back. Not a fan of the newer Camaros though. Maybe just let this one completely go and starting from a shortblock later down the road
Soybeanrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 10:22 AM   #18
Soybeanrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddudesrule View Post
Thanks, I needed to read this. I’ve been tossing the idea too, just sucks to go from hero to zero
Old 05-17-2018, 10:48 AM   #19
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Sorry, man. Hope you make out. As a young man in Ohio, I too learned to respect rain-soaked roads...the hard way. When you’re hydroplaning, you may as well be flying. The steering wheel is useless. Glad your Camaro protected you! Careful out there, boys & girls.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:38 PM   #20
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
I would be careful what I said to the adjuster. "Mods" is a 4 letter word. They might be ok with wheels but performance mods that were not disclosed could cause up to them not paying out or not re-insuring you. If you've been dropped with a recent total getting new insurance will be $$$$$.
Way better to eat the cost of any mods on it than try to haggle your adjuster on them IMHO. The wheels might also be in that category IDK. But I'd guess they'd be less worried about you being a street racer than with engine mods.
I wouldn't hassle with parting it, and it's totaled. Sometimes the adjuster will ask you "what do you want?". Indicating he can write it in such a way it would be repaired if you were strongly inclined. I wouldn't on that car. Devalued due to the severity and way too much damage. Instead I'd push for a full retail value payout and get some reliable sedan until you grad and get a job and house and wife and kids and all that. When the time is right you can always get what you want later.
There are a few threads on here about similar situations and the UGLY cars we drove going to college. It was better than being stressed over car payments and gives you more flexibility. E.g. less part time hours to cover payments.
silversleeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 12:44 PM   #21
Chevy Runs Deep

Drives: 2015 BLK 1SS LS3 M6 NPP
Damn that sucks. If i were in your shoes if probably just buy a truck for cash and pocket the rest. Build a cheaper fun car or bike on the side until you get into your career. Then get a Z!
Chevy Runs Deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 01:00 PM   #22
The camaro show

Drives: 2015 camaro 2lt
how much do you have in mods and what mods
Cosmetic mods: SS hood with painted vent, SS bumper, acs 1le front lip black, big worm gfx tinted all lights, solar wing v2, Camaro seat belt pads and oracle color shift halos and fog light halos and rear colorshift bow tie, carbon creations carbon fiber stingray z spoiler
Wheels: lexani r-3 bg finish 19x8.5
Performance: cold air inductions intake, mrt v1, jacfab ported intake manifold, intake manifold spacer, overkill tuned on E85.
The camaro show is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 01:44 PM   #23
Soybeanrice

Working on getting receipts right now. I spent a lot of time under the car and inside the engine bay. This is the first car I ever decided to work on myself

The car sat with
ACS t4 splitter w/ front deflectors
ZL1 rockers
ZL1/1LE black 10 spoke wheels w/ MPSS tires
RideTech2 coilovers
Moreno camber plates
JDP Stage 2 Anti wheel hop package
-Pegasus solid subframe bushings
-BMR trailing arms w/ outer bushings and toe links
-JDP Rear upper control arm bushings w/ bracket
-Detroit Speed 28mm front sway bar
-Detroit Speed 35mm rear sway bar
BMR solid engine mounts
Stainless Works LT headers to GM NPP
BTR Stage 3 cam package (from JDP)
RodMod intake manifold
BoWhite CNC throttle body
ADM cold air intake
JDP separate clutch reservoir
Rotofab windshield washer relocation
Chevrolet strut tower brace
Taylor 135deg ignition wires

I put in a bracket to hold an extinguisher underneath the driver seat

Just got the GoPro visor mount... the 1/4 drive wrench is still in my car cause i was deciding which side to put it on

Will post updates, but theyll probably come slowly
Old 05-17-2018, 02:05 PM   #24
snarky
ultracrepidarianism

Drives: '14 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP '18 Accord Sport
You go new car shopping and eat the loss. Someone else will rebuild that but it will never be right. I see that's an Apopka fire station (58). You on the 429?
Old 05-17-2018, 02:05 PM   #25
ss_redrum

Drives: 2013 LS3 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soybeanrice View Post
Working on getting receipts right now. I spent a lot of time under the car and inside the engine bay. This is the first car I ever decided to work on myself

The car sat with
ACS t4 splitter w/ front deflectors
ZL1 rockers
ZL1/1LE black 10 spoke wheels w/ MPSS tires
RideTech2 coilovers
Moreno camber plates
JDP Stage 2 Anti wheel hop package
-Pegasus solid subframe bushings
-BMR trailing arms w/ outer bushings and toe links
-JDP Rear upper control arm bushings w/ bracket
-Detroit Speed 28mm front sway bar
-Detroit Speed 35mm rear sway bar
BMR solid engine mounts
Stainless Works LT headers to GM NPP
BTR Stage 3 cam package (from JDP)
RodMod intake manifold
BoWhite CNC throttle body
ADM cold air intake
JDP separate clutch reservoir
Rotofab windshield washer relocation
Chevrolet strut tower brace
Taylor 135deg ignition wires

I put in a bracket to hold an extinguisher underneath the driver seat

Just got the GoPro visor mount... the 1/4 drive wrench is still in my car cause i was deciding which side to put it on

Will post updates, but theyll probably come slowly

Sorry that happened to you. I got into a car wreck my senior year of college and my car had gotten totaled. I was graduated by the time their insurance payed out for my car and doctor visit so it was about a month in all. No one knows your finances but you, so do what is financially best for you. I'd just grab a cheap commuter car until you're done then get something cool once you graduate.

Side note, if you do buy it back, let me know how much for that bo white throttle body!

-Previous Setup- Texas Speed 1 7/8 LT Headers, no cats, xpipe, muffler delete, K&N Cold Air Intake, tuned by DynoSteve

Youtube |Instagram
ss_redrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:59 PM   #26
White_Camaro

Drives: Camaro SS
Sorry for your loss. Also, does MPSS mean Michelin Pilot Super Sports? I was considering of putting those tires on my Camaro. Now I am unsure.
White_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 10:26 PM   #27
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soybeanrice View Post
Thanks, I needed to read this. I’ve been tossing the idea too, just sucks to go from hero to zero
Just a car, brother. You'll have many, many in your life. You enjoyed this one, you'll enjoy the ones to come. If you can swing holding on to the engine and trans for a future project, or to sell, just don't go into debt further to do it.
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 10:42 PM   #28
Soybeanrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_Camaro View Post
Sorry for your loss. Also, does MPSS mean Michelin Pilot Super Sports? I was considering of putting those tires on my Camaro. Now I am unsure.
Yes, I do understand Michelin just came out with another generation (unless thats just the pilot cups?). I am getting pictures of the rear tire tread tomorrow (for purposes I wont say yet) although I know I wasnt near the wear bars.

Honestly, before this happened I was eyeing selling the black 10 spokes w/ the tires for like 1500-2k and then getting the 18x8.5 TSW Nurburgrings w/ some other tire (285/275) ... a new set of 4 nurburgrings are like 1440 and then w/ 18s theres SO many tire options. Of course I only considered this cause I could change the height of the car