Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-14-2015, 04:23 PM   #1
Soybeanrice

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Fun Weekend Project

Alright, I pulled the trigger on a cam and some headers! Plan on getting them in before this weekend and doing the install over the weekend. Then driving it up for a tune! (currently not in Orlando)

I went with the BTR Stage 3. Never done this install before, but I feel pretty confident with robert's DIY
Soybeanrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 06:36 PM   #2
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Well there are some deals where the lack of experience can bite you and this one....well, you have to have on hand the right size of pushrods for one after measuring the base circle. And having been here for a long time and read all of his stuff Robert WAY did go back on some things and actually I think had his valve lash/preload wrong. And well limping to a shop to tune it....ok don't forget to drain the oil and change filter and if you read the cam failure posting by another member you may want to read up on that. If I were you I would get the parts and go to like Tampa tuning / somewhere Florida speed etc... and spend the money to have them do it as yes you do want to on the build to make it easier do things not included: drop the pan change the oil pump , ditch the LS#3 chain tensioner for a ls2 dampener, And frankly I come with a couple rounds of driven racing BR30 to my tuner and filters etc etc etc..... And there are places like TSP where if you buy a engine from them you get two rounds included because they are smart and cover their arse and know better ....

And lets be honest doing all that work to limp it to a tuner should be like towing it to the dyno for a good AFR tuning and timing amongst other things the car will just have to limp by on stock tune adjusting and...well could get ugly.

Its been more than one post I have read on here about how it starts out nice and then they find out after they think they have got everything right....oops cam timing...WTF is that, or its off, or wondering about the LASH ....which is preload.... or the right length of pushrod, and then there is setting up the springs and they have to be heat cycled even if you do not believe in breaking in the cam....... Frankly I used to do all my own SBC work installing everything, this is a lot more expensive and I do not want to have any problems..... And tuning spot on... that's what I get and corrections made and everything 100% the first time with Mr. Wong of wongs performance engineering. And hell I have heard some real deals around there form tamp tuning on cam installs for cheapness...... IMO you should go there, but hey its your money, your engine.... Good luck.
Old 12-14-2015, 10:45 PM   #3
Soybeanrice

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Yup, I'm getting the goodies with it. The LS2 dampener, oil pump, timing chain, you know it.

Fortunately robertway did a ton of asking around on the forums for things such as the zero lash that you are talking about. I guess he did it wrong?

I have the ac delco filter w/ 8qts mobil 1, royal purple 75-90 for the tranny and 3 gallons of 5050.

As for limping to the tuner, tampa tuning is about the same distance to the tuner I'm going to. JDP said if i hold my idle high with the throttle I should make it
Soybeanrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 07:01 AM   #4
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
My point being that on the thread with the cam eaten away by having bubbles most likely in the casting of the cam is........ Use a break in oil, mobil one is fine for a daily driver, once you modify it , its garbage compared to Driven racing oil. And yes now adays...... Manufacturers have moved to one specific oil a lot for engines. And that means oil a will not be good for engine b, or even engine a modified. http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...pics&FORM=IGRE
Old 12-15-2015, 08:24 AM   #5
Batmanntexas

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS (2SS)
If you are fairly mechanically inclined, have done your homework, which it sounds like you have, then this install is pretty straight forward. ChriatianChevell hit some things right on the head, that are critical: push rods, chain tensioner/dampener, and oil pump. As long as you do not rush, take your time and check things twice, you will have no trouble with the install. These LS motors are actually pretty easy to work on.
As for the driving it to get it to the tuners shop....the cam you are installing is a far cry from the stock cam, and as such it will probably cause some pretty significant idle/cruise/transient issues that the factory tune can't compensate for. I think I'd try a lap around the block/neighborhood, while using some kind of scanner to log fuel trims and such, see how the car behaves, before committing to a lengthy commute that could do some damage.
Good luck, and post up your results!!

COTW 9/8/14
Batmanntexas is offline   Reply With Quote