Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-24-2019, 06:30 PM   #393
Gray50
Intentionally left blank.

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Fifty
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScatPack View Post
I think they would just replace the TC rather than flush yours and replace it anyway no? That would be like changing the oil on an engine you intend to pull out right after, and put in a new engine...
They flushed mine, that didn't fix it. Then, they replaced the TC. In one of those steps, they also updated the tune on the transmission. It's been a year since they did the work. So, I don't remember if they flushed & tuned or flushed, then replaced the TC and tuned.
Old 04-24-2019, 06:31 PM   #394
Gray50

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCI2000SS View Post
.Thanks! If this combination doesn't do the trick I'm making plans to sell the car asap. How's yours holding up?
I traded it back in February. I've been watching these Shudder threads to see if I should kick myself for trading.
Old 04-26-2019, 02:05 PM   #395
jamesliz1

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS2
Don't kick yourself. You made the right decision. That 8A never performed correctly even when it didn't shudder. It is inherently flawed. Why would it even need all these flushes in the first place? Their previous automatics didn't, nor do other manufacturers' automatics. It's all just GM B.S.
jamesliz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 03:17 PM   #396
the chosen one

Drives: 2017 Convertible 1SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScatPack View Post
It sounds like this shudder is a byproduct of the engine lugging. To me its always seemed that the trans is staying in 8th longer than it should for the given throttle input at highway speeds.

In my scat, if my car is in 8th on the highway cruising, it will immediately drop to 7th or even 6th if I roll on the gas almost at all. Then its in a much better rpm range. The camaros seems to stay in their top gear longer than they should. Im wondering if a TCM tune would help cure this. You know get it to drop gears earlier if you roll on the gas vs letting you stay in 8th and lug the engine while trying to lightly accelerate.
100% agree with your observations. If you drive in manual mode with the paddles or stick you can keep the car from lugging and avoid any shuddering.
Old 04-26-2019, 05:36 PM   #397
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
Just got mine back today. New revised torque converter, along with new fluid and flush procedure. Honestly it feels better than the day I bought it. No shudder at all, but even more interesting is that the trans behaves a little differently. Hard to describe, but it just feels better and more correct like a normal trans should IMO. Hopefully this completely fixes it. Anyone know what is different about this revised torque converter? Service advisor couldn't really tell me
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 05:50 PM   #398
Gray50

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesliz1 View Post
Don't kick yourself. You made the right decision. That 8A never performed correctly even when it didn't shudder. It is inherently flawed. Why would it even need all these flushes in the first place? Their previous automatics didn't, nor do other manufacturers' automatics. It's all just GM B.S.
I hope they fix the A8's. I just had little faith that another fluid change was going to do the trick.
Old 04-27-2019, 11:50 AM   #399
Brudda*Termite

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Got mine back from the dealership a few days ago, they flushed it and it seems good to go. Crossing fingers, haha
Old 04-27-2019, 12:21 PM   #400
jamesliz1

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray50 View Post
I hope they fix the A8's. I just had little faith that another fluid change was going to do the trick.

Drive any rear drive vehicle with the German ZF 8 speed automatic and you will understand how poor the GM 8A was from the beginning, even before the problems began. It is simply a crappy transmission. I seriously doubt that even if they start replacing torque converters again, which they did before and didn't solve the problem by their own admission, or whatever, that the 8A will NEVER perform as a quality transmission. And GM has yet to prove me wrong. Dumped my 2016, SS2, $42,000 Camaro in April and never looked back or regretted it.

Last edited by jamesliz1; 04-27-2019 at 12:32 PM.
jamesliz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 12:57 PM   #401
ggaites

Drives: 2021 ZL1 6MT
Gen 6 Camaro most awesome car...

I loved my 2017 SS, and I thought the transmission was great. It would sometimes jerk when coming to a stop, and it had a lazy engagement of 4th to 5th, but totally acceptable behavior and the car was an absolute blast. The shudder occurred in a place I rarely drive in and I only began to notice while driving my wife using cruise control and making her comfortable (11-1500rpm slight load @50mph).

But Chevy approved the buy back (which my dealer had suggested) and gave me a full refund, even after the fluid flush which was done in February that seemed to fix it - transmission was working great!

Over 2 years, 6 sets of tires, and 42,000 miles on the car! And they considered my use to stop at 4600 miles so I got a substantial refund.

With my resources restored, I shopped all over again for a car - drove Mustang GT, Charger, Challenger, considered a more family oriented vehicle. But apparently I’m still stuck on the Camaro - nothing else compares, nothing gives me the same feeling, not Porsche, nor BMW, nor Mercedes, nothing I’ve driven, and there have been many more that I’ve tested and compared.

Although apprehensive about comfort, I ended up with a 2019 1LE. I have gone 2500 miles in less than 3 weeks and I have absolutely no regrets. This car amazes me every day. I love the stick, the suspension, the seats. Thank you GM!!!
Old 04-27-2019, 01:49 PM   #402
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggaites View Post
I loved my 2017 SS, and I thought the transmission was great. It would sometimes jerk when coming to a stop, and it had a lazy engagement of 4th to 5th, but totally acceptable behavior and the car was an absolute blast. The shudder occurred in a place I rarely drive in and I only began to notice while driving my wife using cruise control and making her comfortable (11-1500rpm slight load @50mph).

But Chevy approved the buy back (which my dealer had suggested) and gave me a full refund, even after the fluid flush which was done in February that seemed to fix it - transmission was working great!

Over 2 years, 6 sets of tires, and 42,000 miles on the car! And they considered my use to stop at 4600 miles so I got a substantial refund.

With my resources restored, I shopped all over again for a car - drove Mustang GT, Charger, Challenger, considered a more family oriented vehicle. But apparently I’m still stuck on the Camaro - nothing else compares, nothing gives me the same feeling, not Porsche, nor BMW, nor Mercedes, nothing I’ve driven, and there have been many more that I’ve tested and compared.

Although apprehensive about comfort, I ended up with a 2019 1LE. I have gone 2500 miles in less than 3 weeks and I have absolutely no regrets. This car amazes me every day. I love the stick, the suspension, the seats. Thank you GM!!!

Awesome outcome!! Congrats!
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 02:18 PM   #403
chozn4service

Drives: 2016 SS w/2SS A8 Blue Velvet
I have a file with GM for my car and they have said they aim to satisfy me. My 82 Z28 was a dog and I had all kind of issues and contacted GM and they sent reps here to Indy and they got my car taken care of.

I’ve had the triple flush, retune and damn my car is running strong as hell! I’ve got about 2K on it now and I’m happy thus far. Keeping fingers crossed....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-27-2019, 02:33 PM   #404
SSJ455

Drives: "Kara Zor-El" 2017 2SS HBM
Taking mine in on Monday for the power steering TSB and the A8 shudder.
Dangerzoooooone.

SSJ455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 05:00 PM   #405
chozn4service

Drives: 2016 SS w/2SS A8 Blue Velvet
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJ455 View Post
Taking mine in on Monday for the power steering TSB and the A8 shudder.

Had the Power Steering TSB done as well. Was there at 8a and out by 9:45.

Old 04-27-2019, 07:13 PM   #406
SSJ455

Drives: "Kara Zor-El" 2017 2SS HBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chozn4service View Post
Had the Power Steering TSB done as well. Was there at 8a and out by 9:45.

Cool. I am dropping it off so they can work on it. I hope they can do both in one day but I am not counting on it.
Dangerzoooooone.

SSJ455 is offline   Reply With Quote