Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-02-2018, 07:47 AM   #15
Ace01

Drives: 2018 1LE SS "Silver Bullet"
I purchased a used Fiat 500E for commuting and have to tell you its a blast to drive. Of course instant torque off the line. Like driving an electric go-cart. You can purchase them used for around $7500.00 great addition to any SS owner that wants to keep miles and cost down owning a Camaro SS, 1LE. I hope GM offers the EV powerplant to purchase soon. It will open up a whole new world for EV retrofit performance.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:25 AM   #16
Ace01

powerplant photos

photos of the powerplant
Attached Images

Old 11-02-2018, 09:45 AM   #17
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
the 6th gen has had electric in it's blood since before it went on sale, with chevy giving out a number of camaro cars (minus drivetrain) to universities to electrify it in a competition. Now they have what amounts to a crate motor that drops in place of the 8cyl engine.

This is geared towards racing, which makes sense. And what benefits racers will eventually trickle down to daily drivers aftermarket. Which will be good, and puts the camaro in a nice spot to be in when ICE engines are all but banned. We know that retrofitting it certainly viable.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 10:06 AM   #18
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro
I like the fact it has V8 mounts and uses a GM bellhousing. They are basically making it a swap kit. Not everyones cup of tea and not trying to replace the V8, but it's cool they are still looking at performance if/when everything goes electric.
Nsxmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 10:42 AM   #19
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace01 View Post
I purchased a used Fiat 500E for commuting and have to tell you its a blast to drive. Of course instant torque off the line. Like driving an electric go-cart. You can purchase them used for around $7500.00 great addition to any SS owner that wants to keep miles and cost down owning a Camaro SS, 1LE. I hope GM offers the EV powerplant to purchase soon. It will open up a whole new world for EV retrofit performance.
for sure. I bought a Bolt for my daily. It surprises people how fast it pulls off the line
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 11:05 AM   #20
Keloid

Drives: 2016 2SS
OK, so the powerful motor, the housing adaptation are great.
But as technical challenges for a sporty EV go, this is something to be expected.

How about the battery elephant in the room ? Even without cost concerns, we will be dealing with inevitable trade-off of battery range/weight vs. performance. So what street driving range are you guys willing to settle with ?
Keloid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 11:17 AM   #21
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keloid View Post
OK, so the powerful motor, the housing adaptation are great.
But as technical challenges for a sporty EV go, this is something to be expected.

How about the battery elephant in the room ? Even without cost concerns, we will be dealing with inevitable trade-off of battery range/weight vs. performance. So what street driving range are you guys willing to settle with ?
The technology keeps getting cheaper and smaller. Soon the amount of batteries to have 500 miles of range and a 10 minute charge time will be semi affordable to everyone.
Nsxmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 12:20 PM   #22
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsxmatt View Post
I like the fact it has V8 mounts and uses a GM bellhousing. They are basically making it a swap kit. Not everyones cup of tea and not trying to replace the V8, but it's cool they are still looking at performance if/when everything goes electric.
+1

Our grandkids will be hot-rodding our "dinosaur ICE clunkers" with the +30-years-in-the-future-version of these kits.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 12:54 PM   #23
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Electric takes all the fun out of cars. Modifying electric motors is nothing like modifying gas engines. Electric motors are pretty fast and stout from the get go, and Tesla already has a mass produced car that can give you a 2.7 second zero to 60 run for under $100,000. In a family sedan that will carry all your luggage.

It's like, well, that's that. There goes all the fun.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 12:57 PM   #24
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
Electric takes all the fun out of cars. Modifying electric motors is nothing like modifying gas engines. Electric motors are pretty fast and stout from the get go, and Tesla already has a mass produced car that can give you a 2.7 second zero to 60 run for under $100,000. In a family sedan that will carry all your luggage.

I think you will find that to be untrue in the future. Just like when electronics came out for cars, everyone bitched and moaned that they were too complicated. Now everyone loves tuning ECU's on cars. I guarantee people will be modding software on electric cars in the future.

-- Coming from an IT nerd
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 01:00 PM   #25
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post

What car is that? The only two Teslas that can go 0-60 in that time are a P100D Model S and the Tesla Roadster. Both of those are well over $100k, the S P100D starting at $132,200 and the Roadster at $250k.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 01:58 PM   #26
Keloid

Drives: 2016 2SS
The only thing guaranteed in the future is that things will get more complicated.

A sub-3 second EV will not become affordable by some "Ludicrous" firmware enhancements, that hunk of premium materials will always command high price because it needs to withstand physical forces, discharge rate, control and safety requirements.
Keloid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 10:56 PM   #27
09C6Z51

Drives: 2009 Chevy Corvette Z51
Like others have said electric cars have no soul. I still get a rush every time I start my corvette. The sound of the loud exhaust and the cam making the car shake while the supercharger whistles and stops every time the cam lopes. You just can't replace that with an electric no matter how fast it is.

Also I'm a manual driver which we all know there is no such thing in an electric car. I will keep my vette until I die so I will never have to buy an electric sports car. It will be the same when I get my Camaro Zl1 I just haven't decided if I want the 10 speed auto which will be fun to drive at the track or the ZL1 1LE. The 10 speed will be much better for Drag racing but I'm not sure I'd be fully happy with an auto driving it to work.
2002 Red Formula Firehawk #555, M6 1LE suspension from SLP - SOLD
09C6Z51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 07:55 AM   #28
Ace01

If GM can build a hybrid powerplant like this then very exciting times ahead.