Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 06-29-2020, 04:52 PM   #1
Ch1

Drives: 19 ZLE M6 Red Hot
Washing the car

Hello. I own 19 ZLE and it is first car of that price and caliber that I’ve owned and understand it can not be taken to any car wash. I currently live in Irving TX and im yet to see a full hand wash around me, when I used to live in Chicago hand car washes were everywhere, but here at least the exterior is washed in a drive thru wash. So I live in an apartment complex and do not have a personal space/driveway to wash it myself either, so where do I take it? Is the full detail my only option every time it needs a wash?

Would a cover keep it clean longer? It gets pretty dusty after a few days sitting in the underground garage
Ch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 05:08 PM   #2
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
Plenty of info out there on how to do waterless and rinseless washes. I would not use a cover for short term, I tried that route and bought the best one I could find and just putting it on and taking off all the time leaves scratches. I never use the cover unless it's parked for more than a week. Buy some good rinseless product and 20 microfiber towels and a bucket. Once you get good it only takes about ten minutes.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 05:37 PM   #3
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1 View Post
Hello. I own 19 ZLE and it is first car of that price and caliber that I’ve owned and understand it can not be taken to any car wash. I currently live in Irving TX and im yet to see a full hand wash around me, when I used to live in Chicago hand car washes were everywhere, but here at least the exterior is washed in a drive thru wash. So I live in an apartment complex and do not have a personal space/driveway to wash it myself either, so where do I take it? Is the full detail my only option every time it needs a wash?

Would a cover keep it clean longer? It gets pretty dusty after a few days sitting in the underground garage
I highly recommend a touchless car wash unless your car is too dirty. Most of these have dryers and you can use a very plush microfiber towel with a lubricant spray to dry off any residue. Like the above post I would not use any sort of cover. It will scratch your car especially noticeable on dark colors. If your car is too dirty for a touchless drive-through car wash, Then you might consider a two bucket method, if you can do that where you live. Additionally there’s all kinds of ceramic and traditional paint protection wax that you can add.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 05:43 PM   #4
Mark R

Drives: 2018 ZL-1
Go to a self-serve wash. The wheels are too wide for a regular tunnel type car wash.
Mark R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 05:54 PM   #5
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Those self serve washes are scratch city unfortunately.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 06:00 PM   #6
Mark R

Drives: 2018 ZL-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzia35 View Post
Those self serve washes are scratch city unfortunately.
I'm talking about the kind with a wash bay and a high pressure sprayer. There are no brushes.
Mark R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 06:00 PM   #7
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
Lots of good info here:

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=252

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:31 PM   #8
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
I'm talking about the kind with a wash bay and a high pressure sprayer. There are no brushes.
Yep, Coin carwash. Did that until I found touchless.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:12 PM   #9
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
We discuss this every day in the Wash and Wax subforum below.

I just want to tell everyone that car washes, even "touchless" ones, use recycled water. Your pre-rinse water and the soapy water is dirty water that has been collected and filtered. Also,they use harsh soaps and chemicals that are not good for your paint. Avoid them!

https://www.carwash.com/carwash-water-recycling/
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:40 PM   #10
17rsvert

Drives: 2017 HBM 2LT RS Convertible V6 A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
We discuss this every day in the Wash and Wax subforum below.

I just want to tell everyone that car washes, even "touchless" ones, use recycled water. Your pre-rinse water and the soapy water is dirty water that has been collected and filtered. Also,they use harsh soaps and chemicals that are not good for your paint. Avoid them!

https://www.carwash.com/carwash-water-recycling/
Haven't been to a self serve wash in years. The one I used had a pressure washer type wand and a keypad to select soap, wax, or high pressure rinse. There were hand brushes available which I'm sure would never scratch your finish ha ha ha. You paid by the minute by feeding coins.

Is the final rinse water not recycled? Is it possible to bring your soap and towels and ONLY use rinse water to both wash and rinse?
17rsvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:45 PM   #11
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Yup, learn to do a rinseless.....in my sig.....

I liveD in apartment complex for two years while I was building a house, it worked fine .....I had access to nothing.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 12:12 AM   #12
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17rsvert View Post
Haven't been to a self serve wash in years. The one I used had a pressure washer type wand and a keypad to select soap, wax, or high pressure rinse. There were hand brushes available which I'm sure would never scratch your finish ha ha ha. You paid by the minute by feeding coins.

Is the final rinse water not recycled? Is it possible to bring your soap and towels and ONLY use rinse water to both wash and rinse?

I have only read on coin op car wash message boards that the pre rinse and soap is recycled but there are systems for sale that claim to recycle all water,so I am not sure.

Most car washes have signs that say "No Bucket Washes." Its the dumbest thing ever but they don't want you spending time in the bay without the meter running.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 05:19 AM   #13
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
I keep mine covered in the garage to keep the dust off. I always put it on when only clean, never when dirty.
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:58 AM   #14
CamaroChriSS

Drives: 16 1SS M6 Black -previous 00 Z28 M6
My car is black and spends its life outside in the driveway. It's not immaculate, but a game changer for me was putting in a days worth of work using a clay bar, doing paint correct (if yours is new it might not need that step) and doing a hybrid ceramic coating. I use The Last Coat, but I'm sure there are other great suggestions out there. The key was really getting down to the paint before applying so it could bond well, but now it's pretty easy to keep looking sharp. I use the pressure washer for quick washes and reapply some TLC top coat, but a touchless wash would work well too. I think the key is getting the base layer of protection first, then the upkeep isn't so bad.
CamaroChriSS is offline   Reply With Quote