Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-18-2016, 07:00 PM   #1
bybcous

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 1SS
Help putting together a cam and head package on Texas speed.

This will be my first modified more than basic bolt on vehicle and have some questions. I plan to order my cam and heads either tomorrow or Monday and want more info on what I am purchasing and if I am purchasing the correct items. My Goal is to be around 500 hp, and I want a nice sounding Cam when I pull up to stoplights, this has been a long time dream of mine. My number 1 thing that I want is still daily driver reliability. I will probably never race the car other than random spirited driving.

1. What is the +32 fuel lobe for and do I need it.
2. I have chosen not to include an oil pump. I figure I can use the stock oil pump, is this ok?
3. Do I need the trunion kit.
4. Can anyone explain the differences between the various vvt cams? I plan on choosing VVT1 but some more info would really be appreciated.
5. Is it easier to do the Heads while installing the Cam or is it not necessary.
Best so far 11.5 at 123 with a 1.83 60ft. BMR lower and upper trailing arms and upper control arms,E85
DELIVERED 12/29/15
http://youtube.com/bybcous " no talking only racing on my youtube"

Last edited by bybcous; 11-18-2016 at 08:23 PM.
bybcous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 09:15 PM   #2
SC88
Twin Turbo

Drives: 2016 2SS
I'll take a shot at answering yours questions but I'm learning still as well.

1. The 32% fuel lobe is designed to increase fuel supply to the injectors. Not Really sure if needed for NA applications

2.You can skip the oil pump if you like but wouldn't hurt to upgrade while your in there.

3. Trunion kit is not necessary but a cheap upgrade to the factory rocker arms. I never had a problem or failure with LS rockers using big lift cams. Not sure if LT rockers are similar.

4. Can't really help with that

5. You don't need to change the cylinder heads while swapping the cam.
Old 11-18-2016, 09:22 PM   #3
bybcous

Thanks for answering but after looking at my budget, i think I am going to go cam only. This may sound crazy but again my only goal is to pick up some more power, and to have that cam sound. I will contact Texas speed tommorow to get there advice and place my order. If anyone else wants to chime in i would still appreciate it.
Best so far 11.5 at 123 with a 1.83 60ft. BMR lower and upper trailing arms and upper control arms,E85
DELIVERED 12/29/15
Old 11-18-2016, 10:36 PM   #4
aka Reckless

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro
If you are keeping the active fuel management you don't have to pull the heads. Most after market cams require "DOD Delete" and the heads have to come off because the lifters have to be changed. The VVT!, VVT2, etc is just their own internal code for cams with different specs (lift and duration).

If you go the their camshaft packages for that model car you will see in the drop down menus that you have to select one of the DOD delete packages (differing options). You have to pull the heads because the lifters have to be changed for any of their cams.

The rocker arms will usually be fine, but some like the piece of mind of replacing the factory trunions with the Comp version.

Quote:
The Texas Speed & Performance LT1 VVT1 camshaft is a great choice for the enthusiast looking for an additional jump in horsepower without sacrificing hardly any driveability. It will have a nice lope at idle but nothing too aggressive. It does remove the factory AFM/DOD system that deactivates cylinders, but it retains the variable valve timing (VVT) system that allows the engine to advance and retard the cam while the engine is running. This provides a much better power curve since the engine can advance the cam in the lower RPM's for better torque and retard the cam in the upper RPM's for better horsepower. We do recommend using our TSP .660" dual spring kit with PAC springs & titanium retainers and TSP hardened chromoly pushrods with this camshaft.

Each gen 5 LT1 camshaft Texas Speed offers will require the use of a Comp Cams Phaser limiter kit. The phaser limiter restricts the range of cam timing movement to 20°. This modification provides the necessary valve clearance for serious performance camshafts with tighter lobe separations while still utilizing the benefits of the VVT technology.

We do recommend the +32% fuel lobe for any power-adder applications. The +32% fuel lobe will require the use of a lash cap, so please make sure that you install one during the camshaft installation! You can select the optional lash cap in the drop down menu. WE DO NOT CHARGE EXTRA FOR OUR +32% FUEL LOBE!
aka Reckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 09:37 AM   #5
Fast6.3

Drives: 2016 2SS coupe 2015 3LT Stingray
Are you manual or auto? Because if you are auto and youre nat changing your converter yoyll have to use their sv cam. If youre manusl you csn do do any stg cam. All their cams are dod delete so heads have to come off. If youre planning on upgrading rocker trunnions I would recommend the straub kit insted of the comp
http://www.straubtechnologies.com/ls...ts-with-bolts/
Old 11-20-2016, 09:56 AM   #6
LibertyHill

Drives: 16 2SS 6MT NPP MRC / 15 K1300S
http://www.badasscars.com/index.cfm/...rod/prd358.htm

Rohana RFX-5 10/11, M/T 275/305, Eibachs, Hellwigs, Hurst SS, DMS LT4 SC 596HP/589TQ, DMS Low-side, Kooks 2LTs, MBRP Race, Rotofab, MMS CC
LibertyHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 01:52 PM   #7
bybcous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast6.3 View Post
Are you manual or auto? Because if you are auto and youre nat changing your converter yoyll have to use their sv cam. If youre manusl you csn do do any stg cam. All their cams are dod delete so heads have to come off. If youre planning on upgrading rocker trunnions I would recommend the straub kit insted of the comp
http://www.straubtechnologies.com/ls...ts-with-bolts/
Are you able to reference me to how the exhaust will sound with the sv cam and what the possible hp gain would be with this cam
DELIVERED 12/29/15
Old 07-24-2022, 10:31 PM   #8
Camaroking98

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bybcous View Post
Are you able to reference me to how the exhaust will sound with the sv cam and what the possible hp gain would be with this cam
I'd like to know the gains too cuz I think I got screwed by the shop who put this on my ZL1
Camaroking98 is offline   Reply With Quote