Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 06-15-2016, 02:11 PM   #15
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Are you restricted in class on modification?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 02:41 PM   #16
nilfinite

Drives: Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Are you restricted in class on modification?
Yeah, exactly. They really limit what you can do to the car in the stock/street class that I'm in. That means only shocks, 1 sway bar can be changed. No other suspension changes. No power mods allowed other than intake filter (can run w/o a filter). Wheels can be 1" diameter smaller or larger. Offset can be 7mm closer or farther. Any tire with a treadwear rating above 200 is fair game.

Here is another thread on the topic: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=431921
nilfinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 11:19 PM   #17
PapaKlutch

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilfinite View Post
Thanks for the subs guys. I live and work all over the Bay Area but aiming to make as many Crows Landing, CA events as possible. I have family in East Bay so it's not too difficult to make those.

Haven't gotten involved with the NorCal Camaro group yet but I'm a member. Lots of good content on there.

Actually meeting quite a few Camaro5 forum members in person at these AX events.

Saw 3 other gen 5 Camaros last weekend. A Yellow SS with 1LE track pack (on Camaro5), a silver SS with roll cage and another white SS.

Two weeks ago met another guy with a white 1LE that is active on the Facebook group.
Assume you joined up with NorCal here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/norcalcamaros/

Nice group of Camaro owners. Lots of 1LE's, too! My Northern Nevada group is heading to Sacramento to join up with NorCal at a car show on July 09. Then, the following weekend, NorCal are visiting Reno on an overnight stay and cruising with us through the Sierras.

Yeah, lots of Bay Area 1LE's here on C5.
Old 06-16-2016, 12:22 AM   #18
nilfinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveZ28 View Post
Assume you joined up with NorCal here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/norcalcamaros/

Nice group of Camaro owners. Lots of 1LE's, too! My Northern Nevada group is heading to Sacramento to join up with NorCal at a car show on July 09. Then, the following weekend, NorCal are visiting Reno on an overnight stay and cruising with us through the Sierras.

Yeah, lots of Bay Area 1LE's here on C5.
Yep! That's the one. I'm actually going to a Reno SCCA event on 6/25. I might see a couple of your Reno friends that day.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:21 AM   #19
nilfinite

Gotta pay to play. Pre-Ordered the 305/30/19 RE-71R tires via Tire Rack yesterday. Supposed to ship August 2. $354 per tire for those guys interested.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:46 AM   #20
JusticePete

Quote:
Gotta pay to play. Pre-Ordered the 305/30/19 RE-71R tires via Tire Rack yesterday. Supposed to ship August 2. $354 per tire for those guys interested.
do they come in a 325/30/19
Old 06-16-2016, 11:09 AM   #21
nilfinite

I haven't heard any mention of that size yet. Tire Rack would know for sure. I think if enough people asked for it they would create it.

RE-71R tires are generally much wider than the specs. Like 10mm+. My 205/50/15 tires were pretty much 215 width the last time I bought RE-71R tires for my Abarth. They mounted up fine on 15x8 wheels. Ah, the good ole days of cheap tires & wheels.
Old 06-16-2016, 11:14 AM   #22
PapaKlutch

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS/1LE
Quote:
Yep! That's the one. I'm actually going to a Reno SCCA event on 6/25. I might see a couple of your Reno friends that day.
That weekend is the Camaro Rally in Sturgis, SD. Quite a few club members going. One or two of the NorCal guys are going, too.

Only a handful of the local Camaro club folks do any autocross, or track days at Thunderhill, etc., and all of them are at Sturgis that weekend. I have other plans, so no appearance for me.

Good Luck!

Last edited by PapaKlutch; 06-16-2016 at 11:19 AM. Reason: typo
PapaKlutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 01:13 PM   #23
nilfinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveZ28 View Post
That weekend is the Camaro Rally in Sturgis, SD. Quite a few club members going. One or two of the NorCal guys are going, too.

Only a handful of the local Camaro club folks do any autocross, or track days at Thunderhill, etc., and all of them are at Sturgis that weekend. I have other plans, so no appearance for me.

Good Luck!
Holy wow. Just looked up the Sturgis Rally. That looks like a lot of fun.

No wonder there aren't very many registrations for the Thunderhill event. Hopefully that means less traffic and less funny business.
Old 06-16-2016, 01:28 PM   #24
nilfinite

Going through results to see how much I have to improve.

1st Event: Raining puddles. On Stock Goodyears. First event and it was miserably cold and wet. 8 seconds behind the leader (M3 w/ 18" RE-71R) on a 56 second course.
2nd Event: Good weather. Dry. First time on 20" RS3. 0.9 seconds behind the leader (Mustang w/ 18" RE-71R) on a 47 second course.
3rd Event: Good weather. Second time on 20" RS3. Won by 0.005 (vs another 1LE w/ 20" RS3). 47 second course
4th Event: Good weather. 2 seconds behind leader (M3 w/ 18" RE-71R) on a 56 second course.
5th Event: Good weather. 3 seconds behind leader (M3 w/ 18" RE-71R) on a 50 second course.

Embarrassing results so far. I clearly need to get some 19" wheels w/ RE-71R tires! The combination of shorter wheels + the right tires should save me about 2 seconds. If I catch up to the M3 w/ 18" RE-71R, I'll be able to do well regionally. I'd still have 1 more second to find to be decent nationally. Those final tenths are the hardest to get.
Old 06-16-2016, 01:34 PM   #25
JusticePete

The RE-71 should shave near a second
Old 06-16-2016, 01:42 PM   #26
nilfinite

Autocrossing Adventure w/ the 1LE

Quote:
The RE-71 should shave near a second
That's exactly what I've heard and experienced in the past as well. But that's true with the same width, diameter and wheel.

Going from 285/35/20 RS3 to 305/30/19 RE-71R should be much more than a second with better gearing, more rubber, better compound and lighter wheel. I also need to fix my alignment, need a little bit of looseness on corner exit. Thank you (JusticePete) for identifying the toe in vs toe out error I have in my alignment.

Obviously we can't discount the value of driver mod! I'm sure if a national champ drove my car he/she would have won FS last weekend.
Old 06-16-2016, 01:48 PM   #27
JusticePete

Quote:
That's exactly what I've heard and experienced in the past as well. But that's true with the same width, diameter and wheel.

Going from 285/35/20 RS3 to 305/30/19 RE-71R should be much more than a second with better gearing, more rubber, better compound and lighter wheel. I also need to fix my alignment, need a little bit of looseness on corner exit. Thank you (JusticePete) for identifying the toe in vs toe out error I have in my alignment.

Obviously we can't discount the value of driver mod! I'm sure if a national champ drove my car he would have won FS last weekend.
Are you running Z/28 OE wheels or something else?
Old 06-16-2016, 01:56 PM   #28
nilfinite

Quote:
Are you running Z/28 OE wheels or something else?
Haven't gotten my wheels yet! Due to the SCCA rules, I can't use the Z/28 OE wheels :( Or else I would buy those in a heartbeat.

I must have the same width as the 1LE stock wheels. Can only go down 1" in wheel diameter and push the offset out by 7mm.

So the optimal specs are:
Front: 19x10 ET16
Rear: 19x11 ET36

I'm not baller enough to buy Forgelines or else I'd get those by now. Still looking for a good solution. Would welcome recommendations. Considering anything flow-formed or forged!

Tags
autocross, journal, setup