Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 04-11-2017, 10:10 AM   #15
Grant
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS AGM A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie killer View Post
Cheapest way is to stay in FS.
Do the following :
1. Get set of RE71s (either in 20") or get set in 19" (more money)if you get new rims take advantage of the 7mm offset allowance.
2. Get performance alignment , get as much caster and camber as you can up front.
3. If pads are over half worn, get a new set of pads with more initial bite.

If you move up to STP you will need to pick up 3 seconds of time to catch the front group. The above items should be around 1.50 seconds so with some extra seat time you will be nipping at the heels of the front runners in no time.
Thanks Mike, you wouldn't happen to still have your stock wheels lying around would you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakespeak View Post
Can you go with 1LE sizes? It is stock and SCCA approved.
The way I understand the rules is if you were to change from one model to another you would have to change everything. Everything that makes a 1LE a 1LE would have to be changed on the SS to include suspension components, transmission, rear end, etc. I could be wrong but that's how I interpret the rules. A stock SS would have to use stock SS wheel sizes.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:37 PM   #16
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Thanks Mike, you wouldn't happen to still have your stock wheels lying around would you?

The way I understand the rules is if you were to change from one model to another you would have to change everything. Everything that makes a 1LE a 1LE would have to be changed on the SS to include suspension components, transmission, rear end, etc. I could be wrong but that's how I interpret the rules. A stock SS would have to use stock SS wheel sizes.
Well the 1LE is not really a model it is an option code for the track package on the SS model. Splitting hairs yes, but maybe possible.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:13 PM   #17
Grant
Emerald Coast Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakespeak View Post
Well the 1LE is not really a model it is an option code for the track package on the SS model. Splitting hairs yes, but maybe possible.
It is possible but:

"Option package conversions may be performed between specific vehicles of
a particular make and model, but only between configurations from within
a particular model year. Such conversions must be totally complete and the
resultant car must meet all requirements of this Section. These requirements
are not met by simply pulling a fuse to disable a feature which distinguishes
one model from another."
Old 04-11-2017, 08:26 PM   #18
Lonewolf583
Apex Predator

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Rally Yellow
SCCA confirmed, you have to run all the other 1LE junk in order to also use the 1LE wheels as a starting point. Pretty asinine like alot of the rules.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...25&postcount=4

245 and 255 will never be as competitive in the class as a 1LE rocking 19's and 305's. If it does it for you great, don't let me discourage you. But if you want to be competitive, I'd press onto CAM-C or STP. ESP if you like purple crack (Hoosiers). And put on the biggest meats you can find. Nobody has made this car slower by putting more tire on it...

Beating physics into submission since 1991.

Lonewolf583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 09:53 PM   #19
nilfinite

Drives: Camaro 1LE
Quote:
That makes much more sense than what I was thinking. I was trying to maximize tire width for both the 8" and 9" separately as opposed to what your suggesting. I can get another set of wheels but I usually only drive the car once a week. I don't trust the people I have to drive around on Hwy 98 here in NW Florida, especially during rush hour but that's another story. I'm a little confused on how the 245s have more tread touching than a 255. Do you have the link?
Well that's perfect! Your speedo on the street won't be accurate with 245s but you'll do much better in autocross especially out of the slow corners with the shorter tires.

You can see the tread #'s on Tire Rack's website. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...Potenza+RE-71R

Go to specs then compare the 245/35R20 vs 255/40R20 under "Tread Width"
nilfinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:25 AM   #20
Zombie killer
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS L99
Quote:

Yes I do. Come by and see if you want to stick my rear rims on the fronts. Will need to check the offsets front to rear but they should fit.
Old 04-12-2017, 01:44 PM   #21
Grant
Emerald Coast Camaros

Quote:
Yes I do. Come by and see if you want to stick my rear rims on the fronts. Will need to check the offsets front to rear but they should fit.
The front offsets are 35 and the rear are 40 but if you put the rear wheels on the front then they aren't stock width anymore.
Old 05-22-2017, 01:23 PM   #22
Ir0nM4n
Love me some Tacos

Drives: 14 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf583 View Post
SCCA confirmed, you have to run all the other 1LE junk in order to also use the 1LE wheels as a starting point. Pretty asinine like alot of the rules.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...25&postcount=4

245 and 255 will never be as competitive in the class as a 1LE rocking 19's and 305's. If it does it for you great, don't let me discourage you. But if you want to be competitive, I'd press onto CAM-C or STP. ESP if you like purple crack (Hoosiers). And put on the biggest meats you can find. Nobody has made this car slower by putting more tire on it...
Question, and yes I tried to find the information but well failed... What 19's rims do some use and would the Hankook RS3 be the tires?
Old 05-22-2017, 10:57 PM   #23
Zombie killer
Emerald Coast Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ir0nM4n View Post
Question, and yes I tried to find the information but well failed... What 19's rims do some use and would the Hankook RS3 be the tires?
19x11" rims with RE71s in 305 square.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:15 PM   #24
Ir0nM4n
Love me some Tacos

Drives: 14 1LE
Quote:
19x11" rims with RE71s in 305 square.
for front and back, 19X11 would that take a different front suspension set up?
Old 05-24-2017, 10:29 PM   #25
Zombie killer
Emerald Coast Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ir0nM4n View Post
for front and back, 19X11 would that take a different front suspension set up?
No, it will fit but if you truly want you take advantage of the additional grip you will want to upgrade the sway bars and possiblty lower the ride height. I am running 1" drop on 19" rims.
Attached Images

Old 05-25-2017, 10:54 AM   #26
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
With 19" wheels go 11 inch wide or 10.5 so that you can use 305s. I have 19x10 up front with 285/35, which fit the fender lines perfectly, but it is hard to find tires that meet the 100+ XL load requirements. Also on the road course I can still use more front end grip. I have a 23mm offset with the 19x10s which works fine at max camber (2deg) at stock ride height. With the wider fronts, maybe a bit more closer to the z28 19x11 front offset: 11mm.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:57 PM   #27
Z3papa

Drives: 2011 BMW M3 ZCP
You guys know it is only a matter of time of when someone pushes all the chips to the middle of the table, puts the car on a serious diet, ie race shells, lightweight battery, etc., Ohlins, so forth in STP. After last year's poor showing and the proper adjustment of rules to allow for wider tires on the IRS cars, you're going to a mega jump in performance.
Z3papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 10:06 PM   #28
Zombie killer
Emerald Coast Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3papa View Post
You guys know it is only a matter of time of when someone pushes all the chips to the middle of the table, puts the car on a serious diet, ie race shells, lightweight battery, etc., Ohlins, so forth in STP. After last year's poor showing and the proper adjustment of rules to allow for wider tires on the IRS cars, you're going to a mega jump in performance.
And add the fact that they now allow gear changes from stock in STP you can take an old L99 like mine and shove some 3.91 rear axles and finally get some grunt off the corner. Myself, I am running the lower profile series and 19" rims, which has in effect changed the 3.27 stock gear ration to a 3.58 ratio. Run the OEM 3.45 gears and the ratio becomes 3.77. And if you install the 3.91 gears with the 19" rims and the ratio becomes a 4.28.