Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

View Poll Results: Poll:
Mod the SS 46 30.87%
Buy a ZL1 103 69.13%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-01-2022, 02:43 PM   #71
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
So 2/3rds so far vote to buy the ZL1.

I am no closer to making up my mind, glad I have some time to decide....and save.
Old 08-01-2022, 04:28 PM   #72
mariojas

Drives: 2022 ZL1 M6 & 2023 Stinger GT AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEornothing View Post
Correct, and we are talking about selling a used SS that was once modded and tuned, then returned back to original stock equipment and the factory tune before selling it. Is your point that the car now has a history of being tuned? That information can be disclosed if the buyer asks, might give a slick buyer a little leverage for a better price. Most people buying a used SS and see that everything looks and drives stock would not bother asking if it has been modded or tuned.
I thought we were talking about reversible, "as if you want to go to the dealership to do a warranty repair" kind of reversible.

Charger sold! Better to sell, than waiting to be stolen...
mariojas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 05:57 PM   #73
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
So 2/3rds so far vote to buy the ZL1.

I am no closer to making up my mind, glad I have some time to decide....and save.
Maybe put a refundable deposit order for both the ZL1 and SS 1LE and whatever shows up first decides it?

These two trims are the hardest to get right now. Most of the dealers around me say about a year wait for a ZL1, depending where you are in the allocation line. SS 1LEs also have some constraints on them plus the extra time for the hood wrap as the car goes to another vendor for that and shipping is also a mess. If you could snag a 2022 at MSRP that would be a score considering the 2023 $1,800 price increase on SS and $3,700 increase on the ZL1.
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 07:00 PM   #74
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariojas View Post
I thought we were talking about reversible, "as if you want to go to the dealership to do a warranty repair" kind of reversible.
In this case you are mentioning, most likely no. I you go in for engine or transmission warranty work, when they scan and see the tune flash counter with multiples tune changes, they have the right to void your warranty for those components. I have heard from some forum members that they have had warranty work done with mod friendly dealerships that don't care if the car is tuned or modded. I personally don't know of any dealer that cool.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 09:20 PM   #75
JustinZL1

Drives: 2017 Focus RS
I was initially looking at a 2ss 1le myself. What made me change to a zl1 is forged internals, front end, supercharger wine. I have wanted a supercharged v8 for a while and why not have a warranty with it. Like others have said if you mod a car the likely hood of ever seeing a return on that is minimal some even see it as a downside. Down the road I will still probably do a flex fuel kit, lt headers, intake and tune though.
Old 08-02-2022, 03:34 AM   #76
Chrome383Z

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS
This hobby to me and where I get 50% of my enjoyment is modding. If I could buy a car and keep it stock I would have went a ZL1 no questions asked. But I can’t, I need to get into a 12 step program

Do I have the budget to mod and void the warranty on my SS. Yes, hell I’ve probably got close to ZL1 money in it now, at least at pre COVID prices.

Could I swing voiding the warranty on a ZL1 65k+ car and dropping 10-20k in mods on top of that with the wife. Highly doubt it lol.

$$$ no concern go ZL1, it’s a better starting point.

I also like the sleeper aspect of a highly modified SS with stock NPP. I can close the valves and no one would suspect I’ve got 600hp+ to the wheels.
Old 08-02-2022, 10:25 AM   #77
USAFS197

Drives: 2018 Audi TT RS
If I had to do it all over again, after owning a FBO SS 1LE and now a ZL1 1LE, I would have just modified my SS 1LE again.
About as fast as the TT RS
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Sold
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Sold
2019 Corvette Z06
Sold
2021 Charger Hellcat Redeye Widebody
Sold
USAFS197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 10:44 AM   #78
ST1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinZL1 View Post
I was initially looking at a 2ss 1le myself. What made me change to a zl1 is forged internals, front end, supercharger wine. I have wanted a supercharged v8 for a while and why not have a warranty with it. Like others have said if you mod a car the likely hood of ever seeing a return on that is minimal some even see it as a downside. Down the road I will still probably do a flex fuel kit, lt headers, intake and tune though.
That was me when I revised my 2SS 1LE to a ZL1. Worth it at that point, but MSRP is up almost $4k and lightly used ZL1s at reasonable prices are but a memory. Just makes the decision a lot harder for me now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome383Z View Post
This hobby to me and where I get 50% of my enjoyment is modding. If I could buy a car and keep it stock I would have went a ZL1 no questions asked. But I can’t, I need to get into a 12 step program

Do I have the budget to mod and void the warranty on my SS. Yes, hell I’ve probably got close to ZL1 money in it now, at least at pre COVID prices.

Could I swing voiding the warranty on a ZL1 65k+ car and dropping 10-20k in mods on top of that with the wife. Highly doubt it lol.

$$$ no concern go ZL1, it’s a better starting point.

I also like the sleeper aspect of a highly modified SS with stock NPP. I can close the valves and no one would suspect I’ve got 600hp+ to the wheels.
This is me as well. Modding is 50% of the joy, driving a modded V8 is the other 50%.
Old 08-02-2022, 10:44 AM   #79
ST1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFS197 View Post
If I had to do it all over again, after owning a FBO SS 1LE and now a ZL1 1LE, I would have just modified my SS 1LE again.
You mentioned in another thread not being over the moon with your ZL1. Do you mind elaborating on why you would choose the SS 1LE if doing it over again?
Old 08-02-2022, 12:21 PM   #80
USAFS197

Drives: 2018 Audi TT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
You mentioned in another thread not being over the moon with your ZL1. Do you mind elaborating on why you would choose the SS 1LE if doing it over again?
I really think it's the sweet spot but, I know I am splitting hairs in a way that most other people do not--that, and I'm not enamored by badges and trim levels like some folks are.

My SS 1LE felt more balanced, more nimble in general, and it was lighter; also was much easier to keep the rear in the position I wanted it to be. The ZL1 1LE feels more nose heavy and also not as surefooted through the turns as the throttle is unsurprisingly more sensitive to inputs with that little blower kicking out some steam up top. It's a characteristic I noticed in my C7 Z06, too. Granted, I firmly believe that the Alpha chassis is flat out superior to the C7 chassis, the C7 Z06, even with an aggressive alignment can put you in a tough spot if you aren't careful with throttle actuation. Which is why I think the C7 GS is the sweet spot for the C7 chassis.

I will caveat with saying that I think it's all torque related. If you were to take a HCI LT1 in an SS 1LE or C7 GS and have it make similar horsepower to their LT4 variant, albeit less torque, I think it would make for a more enjoyable and predictable experience. Hell, if we are waiving magic wands, I think that a 427ci HCI LT1 would be a better companion to the ZL1 1LE aero and suspension, the same goes with the ZR1.
About as fast as the TT RS
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Sold
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Sold
2019 Corvette Z06
Sold
2021 Charger Hellcat Redeye Widebody
Sold
USAFS197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 12:32 PM   #81
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Quote:
I really think it's the sweet spot but, I know I am splitting hairs in a way that most other people do not--that, and I'm not enamored by badges and trim levels like some folks are.

My SS 1LE felt more balanced, more nimble in general, and it was lighter; also was much easier to keep the rear in the position I wanted it to be. The ZL1 1LE feels more nose heavy and also not as surefooted through the turns as the throttle is unsurprisingly more sensitive to inputs with that little blower kicking out some steam up top. It's a characteristic I noticed in my C7 Z06, too. Granted, I firmly believe that the Alpha chassis is flat out superior to the C7 chassis, the C7 Z06, even with an aggressive alignment can put you in a tough spot if you aren't careful with throttle actuation. Which is why I think the C7 GS is the sweet spot for the C7 chassis.

I will caveat with saying that I think it's all torque related. If you were to take a HCI LT1 in an SS 1LE or C7 GS and have it make similar horsepower to their LT4 variant, albeit less torque, I think it would make for a more enjoyable and predictable experience. Hell, if we are waiving magic wands, I think that a 427ci HCI LT1 would be a better companion to the ZL1 1LE aero and suspension, the same goes with the ZR1.
Completely agree with you sir, it is unfortunate that the Z/28 never came to be. A direct injection variant of the LS7 would have been a dream naturally aspirated powerplant for the alpha chassis.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 12:51 PM   #82
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:

I share a lot of your sentiments as well. I had a 2019 C7 Grand Sport. Great balance and very planted, which made me feel like it needed more power. I think about 550hp naturally aspirated would have been perfect for the C7.

I owned a 2016 2SS as well, the car is quick but I felt like the alpha chassis is so good that it could handle a little more power as well. I am really enjoying the ZL1, even with the A10. It has enough power to scare you, in a good way. I agree it is heavier than I would like but my car is only driven on the street so I can't toss it around much anyway. The Miata is more fun to toss around on the street IMO. It feels fun at any speed.
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 03:08 PM   #83
ST1LE

Quote:

Thanks very much for the response.
Old 08-03-2022, 05:43 PM   #84
Zr8000

Drives: Chevy Camaro
I have found it is cheaper and more reliable over the long run to buy the vehicle that comes from the factory with most power. I also doubt you could get another 200 hp out of the lt1 for the price difference between the 2. You would have to go forced induction or spray it.
Zr8000 is offline   Reply With Quote