Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 06-01-2022, 09:15 PM   #1
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
Harnesses, Stock Seats & Roll Bar / Harness Bar for HPDE

Bringing up this topic again...

As I'm doing more and more HPDE events and less and less street driving with my ZLE, I would like to make a few safety modifications. I am also finding in high G force turns that my legs and hips are getting tossed around which is affecting my commitment to some corners. I'm ready for harnesses and a HANS device, which means I need a 4-point roll bar or a harness bar.

I typically run HPDE events with PCA or Hooked on Driving. I may do some events with Chin Track Days or BMW CCA at some point. Not sure if there are particular safety requirements as you move up into the Red/Black (or equivalent advanced) run groups.

I've read through (and even posted in) this old thread: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=593807. This one has some good info too: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=556873

The QuickFit Pro would've been a great option, but is not compatible with our cars due to the angle. The Schroth Rallye 3 is mentioned a few times in the thread, but I'm not sure if it's a safe option and I'm a bit confused about how it mounts.

I've seen the Brey Krause Harness Bar and the StudioRSR Harness Bar, but they seem to not come highly recommended. Is this because, as someone in the above thread states, you don't want to be held in an upright position without additional rollover protection (aka a roll bar)?

For a roll bar, it seems people are happy with the RPM Rollbar. StudioRSR also makes one, but I've seen a few threads where people have issues. I'm about 2 hours from Phoenix Performance in PA and I could ask them to quote me to build a roll bar as well.

Another complicating factor -- I'd much prefer to keep the stock Recaro seats if at all possible.

Looking for thoughts and suggestions! Are there other options I'm not considering?
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube

Last edited by RamAir02; 06-01-2022 at 09:28 PM.
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 09:34 PM   #2
MhbGtb

Drives: 2020 Camaro ss 1le
Someone should organize a group buy from Rob at cagekits that would be beneficial to the 6th gen community.
https://cagekits.org/

Last edited by MhbGtb; 06-02-2022 at 02:41 PM.
MhbGtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 09:38 PM   #3
dj6gen

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
I can’t speak from experience but I’d probably sway towards a rollbar, either a bolt in or have the shop weld it in depending on if you plan on keeping the car for a good while.
For seats, me personally would just swap out the seats to a true bucket when needed and keep the stock 3point belt installed. Probably throw some padding on the bars if you really wanted to but a custom built rollbar would be ideal since you want to keep using stock seats so it can be positioned where it won’t affect the movement as much.
dj6gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 10:55 PM   #4
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
The issue with the harness bar is IF a roll over occurs, the OEM seat is designed to break away and lay flat. With a harness bar, it can't and you risk of injury/death through crush.

I'm in the same situation as you...finally fast enough that the OEM seat is a hindrance. I'm going to have mine caged.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 08:44 AM   #5
BMoneyMan

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE
Not sure it really answers your question, but get a Simpson Hybrid S. It will work with a 3 point belt or a harness.

https://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/...mpson-hybrid-s
BMoneyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 08:58 AM   #6
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMoneyMan View Post
Not sure it really answers your question, but get a Simpson Hybrid S. It will work with a 3 point belt or a harness.

https://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/...mpson-hybrid-s
I have been considering the Simpson Hybrid S. It addresses some of my concern around safety, but doesn't fix the issue of moving around in the seat.
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
Old 06-02-2022, 10:22 AM   #7
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i was in the same senario i ended up finding a used garage therapy cage and did a sparco non reclinable seat and 6 point harness best money i ever spent!
Old 06-02-2022, 11:14 AM   #8
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
i was in the same senario i ended up finding a used garage therapy cage and did a sparco non reclinable seat and 6 point harness best money i ever spent!
I forgot about the Garage Therapy roll bar. I realize you found a used one, but do you know where they can be purchased new? A quick Google search didn't yield a website for them, just a Facebook page.

I also found a video of a CMS roll bar install and it looked like a good option. Any thoughts from the community on the RPM roll bar vs. Garage Therapy roll bar vs. CMS roll bar? After a bit more research, it's pretty clear to me that the StudioRSR should be avoided.

YouTube
Old 06-02-2022, 11:38 AM   #9
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
yea im local to studio rsr and wasnt happy when they worked on my car once and heard other bad stories from local camaro customers so i stayed far away

got lucky and got a used one but im not sure if they make or sell new ones i believe they only do local customers now but if you hit up jordan he can help or do a cms or rpm half cage
Old 06-02-2022, 02:52 PM   #10
20Bluezl1

Drives: 2020 Zl1 A10 Riverside Blue
This is what I went with and couldn't be happier. Except if you have OCD like I do the harness on the outside doesn't go straight back because of the bar.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=604877
Attached Images

20Bluezl1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 02:58 PM   #11
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Bluezl1 View Post
This is what I went with and couldn't be happier. Except if you have OCD like I do the harness on the outside doesn't go straight back because of the bar.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=604877
Looks great. Which cage is that? The rear seat delete came out really nice. Love the wildhammer steering wheel too -- wish they were still available. BTW, where in NJ are you?

YouTube
Old 06-02-2022, 03:07 PM   #12
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
Excuse my ignorance here, but what is the point of a HANS device if you have an airbag? The airbag will stop your head from snapping forward, isn't that the entire point of these devices? I don't see a point in getting one unless you remove the airbag.

Just trying to figure out why I am wrong(and I know I probably am).

*Edit, now thinking more about it I guess if you have a 4 point harness the airbag might not stop your head from going forward depending on your distance from the wheel since you're pinned to the seat. Where a regular seat belt would allow you to move forward more.
Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 03:09 PM   #13
20Bluezl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamAir02 View Post
Looks great. Which cage is that? The rear seat delete came out really nice. Love the wildhammer steering wheel too -- wish they were still available. BTW, where in NJ are you?
I ran a group by for the CMS cage which is top notch only issue is the harness doest go straight back. The rear seat delete I made personally and still have the template which I was planning to sell. I'm in north jersey Passaic country where are you?
Old 06-02-2022, 03:11 PM   #14
20Bluezl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian1LE View Post
Excuse my ignorance here, but what is the point of a HANS device if you have an airbag? The airbag will stop your head from snapping forward, isn't that the entire point of these devices? I don't see a point in getting one unless you remove the airbag.

Just trying to figure out why I am wrong(and I know I probably am).

*Edit, now thinking more about it I guess if you have a 4 point harness the airbag might not stop your head from going forward depending on your distance from the wheel since you're pinned to the seat. Where a regular seat belt would allow you to move forward more.

Correct once you go full harness ( I recommend 6pt) you need the total package. So harness, cage,race seat and hans. There are a couple of threads regarding this issue. Guys try to do some and not all together which is not good.