Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 10-15-2018, 08:12 AM   #15
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris C 1SS 1LE View Post
Ed Wright did my hot cam tune on my Z28 and later the tune on my 396. I'm not sure if heis still in business or even alive. He was in Tulsa hence me quoting you. I acquired another OBDII AND ECU for the tune. Did same for the Firehawk. Warranty? Who know. Buddy if mine years ago had a 383 LT4 heads LT1 in his 97 Trans-Am. He had warranty work done OK ��. He had NOS too.

Back then the hot cam was on a 112.

Ed Wright has been retired for years now, only works from his home and only on a appt only basis.

With that, you cant use a separate ECM on the on the LT1 cars. GM closed that loophole years ago. All modules are VIN tied now, you cant swap the ECM without connection to the GM Global system and syncing the module and flashing the firmware on file that GM has for that VIN as the ECM's come brand new with no OS loaded onto them now.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:11 AM   #16
Eldi Z

Drives: 17' 1SS 1LE GBA-Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post

With that, you cant use a separate ECM on the on the LT1 cars. GM closed that loophole years ago. All modules are VIN tied now, you cant swap the ECM without connection to the GM Global system and syncing the module and flashing the firmware on file that GM has for that VIN as the ECM's come brand new with no OS loaded onto them now.
What would happen if someone bought a second ECM, tuned it with whatever software file, I.E using HP tuners, EFI Live, Etc. and then swapped it instead of the stock one?
Would this be possible, or would this "secondary" ECM have to be "introduced" to the other xCMs (I.e. BCM, TCM, Etc.) in the vehicle using GM remote servers?
Then in case of Warranty issues, simply swap back to the stock ECM, dismantle all the aftermarket Hardware, Etc. and come to the dealer "squeaky clean"

If it would only be possible to "introduce" a tuned ECM to the rest of the vehicle's xCMs somehow without having to connect to the GM Global servers, this would be a great solution for any aftermarket tuned application.
Eldi Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 12:24 PM   #17
TJay74

Any time a module is changed out the dealer has to "marry" the modules in their system again, they are not plug and play swappable.

Believe me, GM has been on these forums for years watching quietly and learning how people have got around their systems. They get smarter each generation to try and keep people from being able to get around the system.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
Old 10-15-2018, 04:24 PM   #18
Eldi Z

Quote:
Any time a module is changed out the dealer has to "marry" the modules in their system again, they are not plug and play swappable.

Believe me, GM has been on these forums for years watching quietly and learning how people have got around their systems. They get smarter each generation to try and keep people from being able to get around the system.
This makes sense, however, I would expect a variety of external companies to be able to "crack" this paradigm somehow.
Ideally, there should be an aftermarket company/ies specializing in "marrying" / "Introducing" and "re-introducing" the modules back.
When there is a will there is a way...
Old 10-15-2018, 08:20 PM   #19
glenB

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldi Z View Post
This makes sense, however, I would expect a variety of external companies to be able to "crack" this paradigm somehow.
Ideally, there should be an aftermarket company/ies specializing in "marrying" / "Introducing" and "re-introducing" the modules back.
When there is a will there is a way...
There is. We have a mobile that that programs new PCMs when we need them. The problem is that cam will be noticeable with or without a tune, and it NEEDS the tune to run and is not warranted by GM regardless of who installs.

The other problem is if there is a powertrain related failure associated with a CEL there will be no CEL or freezeframe to reference. Further, when they up load the PCM GM will see something wrong with the mileage reported and what the PCM says. You'll notice engine hours are also recorded and displayed on the DIC.

People have tried this dual PCM thing with no success, even when it was easier.
glenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 08:33 PM   #20
Chris C 1SS 1LE

Drives: 2017 1LE
Damn technology. So marry a new one and tune it. Swap when you need to and yes cam needs tune. Ed got 335 WHP out of my hotcam with SLP 2OTL and those awful SLP headers.

I'm waiting if anyone decipher or recall 2OTL.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:47 AM   #21
TJay74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris C 1SS 1LE View Post
Damn technology. So marry a new one and tune it. Swap when you need to and yes cam needs tune. Ed got 335 WHP out of my hotcam with SLP 2OTL and those awful SLP headers.

I'm waiting if anyone decipher or recall 2OTL.

I am guessing you just missed what we said, it isnt possible to have 2 ECM's and swap back and forth. There is absolutely no benefit from it, I mean unless you want to spend the $200 for the blank ECM, then pay the dealer to load the OS onto it and sync it to the vehicle, then spend the $200 to tune it and then pay the dealer to re-sync the ECM every time you want to swap back and forth which will be noted on the VIN history for your vehicle at the dealer each time they do the work.

Old 10-16-2018, 08:01 AM   #22
MP3BOOSTED

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE (F1A-94 FBO H/C)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
116.5 LSA isn't choppy enough. Barely will hear it, if I'm doing a cam it will be a 114 LSA or lower.
i'm running a 116 LSA with my TSP cam "Cam Specs: 235/239, .645"/.635", 116 LSA" and it's pretty choppy. chek out my youtube channel and you'll hear the car idle pretty crazy. might change your mind after watching
Performance Mods: F1A-94, DSX Flex Fuel Kit, MSD Spark Plug Wires, KOOK 2" off road headers, MBRP Race catback exhaust, Pray Performance Custom Boost Cam, Rocker Arm Trunion Upgrade Kit, 7.850" Hardened Chromemoly Length Pushrods and Johnson Racing 2110R Lifters, TSP CNC'd Heads, Ported MSD intake manifold, 103mm Katech Throttle body, Forged Pistons/Rods, RPM Meth kit, DSX Aux Fuel system, AEM Failsafe and banks gauge, LT4 HPFP, LT4 injectors, BMR motor mounts, Hurst Short Throw, Manley SS exhaust valves

Videos of my car? Check here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNi...Qy1OL4NVGlPogw
MP3BOOSTED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:50 AM   #23
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
116.5 LSA isn't choppy enough. Barely will hear it, if I'm doing a cam it will be a 114 LSA or lower.
This is not correct...the hot cam has +1.5 degrees of overlap. It will have a noticeably choppy idle over a stock lt1 cam which only has -29.5 degrees of overlap even though both cams have the same lsa. You cant judge a cam by lsa alone. 116 is a popular lsa on VVT cams be cause of the computer controlled cam timing. If you do a zero degree lock out and disable VVT then you will notice the LSA drop down into the 112 range.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 09:09 AM   #24
Eldi Z

Quote:
I am guessing you just missed what we said, it isnt possible to have 2 ECM's and swap back and forth. There is absolutely no benefit from it, I mean unless you want to spend the $200 for the blank ECM, then pay the dealer to load the OS onto it and sync it to the vehicle, then spend the $200 to tune it and then pay the dealer to re-sync the ECM every time you want to swap back and forth which will be noted on the VIN history for your vehicle at the dealer each time they do the work.
Obviously, since the swaps are performed this way, there is clear evidence to revoke the warranty so basically, we end up in "square1"

If there only would be a way to overcome this "marriage process" and whenever a swap back to the stock ECM is made, then all the details (Incl. engine hours, Etc. are updated in that ECM) line up again, just as if no swap has ever been performed.
I would assume that if some computer tech guys put their heads together, then such solution could be done.
This would open up so many excellent business opportunities for the aftermarket tuning arena.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:02 PM   #25
USAFS197

Drives: 2018 Audi TT RS
I really don’t like cams with such high lift. It’s what has prevented me from getting a cam for so long. I like the idea of the GM heads and cam kit because of that. I know it can’t make the same power as many aftermarket setups but, with such low lift and seemingly slow ramp rates, it should be a cam you could run with solid springs for ages.
About as fast as the TT RS
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Sold
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Sold
2019 Corvette Z06
Sold
2021 Charger Hellcat Redeye Widebody
Sold
USAFS197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 04:27 PM   #26
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFS197 View Post
I really don’t like cams with such high lift. It’s what has prevented me from getting a cam for so long. I like the idea of the GM heads and cam kit because of that. I know it can’t make the same power as many aftermarket setups but, with such low lift and seemingly slow ramp rates, it should be a cam you could run with solid springs for ages.
My thinking as well.
For a street car driven many miles a year, a milder lift cam is a good idea.

The high lift cams make the most power for the duration, but like everything else there's a trade off with wear and maintenance.

Fast.
Inexpensive.
Reliable.
You can only have two.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:13 PM   #27
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
I know on LS stuff anything over .600 lift caused side loading with a stock style rocker. Not sure if the same issue applies to gen 5 heads but I would suspect so with the 1.8 rocker ratio. That being said lift alone isn't the deciding factor in longevity of a valve train. The intensity of the cam lobe and type of valve springs play a big factor too.

I do agree a mild lobe cam with lift under .600 that can be controlled with lower pressure valvespring is best for a street engine that is going to see a lot of miles.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 02:53 PM   #28
USAFS197

Drives: 2018 Audi TT RS
My whole thing is, get the GM heads/cam kit and do a very mild mill of the GM heads. Granted, I understand that effectively changes some aspects but, I do believe that it would not only net gains but still provide the longevity some of us are after.
About as fast as the TT RS
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Sold
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Sold
2019 Corvette Z06
Sold
2021 Charger Hellcat Redeye Widebody
Sold
USAFS197 is offline   Reply With Quote